Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 04:39 PM

Always happy to consider used frames. To compare some Ti frames from a few manufacturer's I'm heading down to Adrenaline bikes to look at some Lynskey, Litespeed and Moot's on Friday. Hopefully that might help me at least slightly.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Always happy to consider used frames. To compare some Ti frames from a few manufacturer's I'm heading down to Adrenaline bikes to look at some Lynskey, Litespeed and Moot's on Friday. Hopefully that might help me at least slightly.
Good idea! Lynskey is hard to beat for the money. I must have bought at least five framesets from them when they were blowing them out at ridiculous prices over the winter a few years ago. You can spend a lot more money and not really end up with a better bike. Moots makes a great bike as well, but will definitely set you back two to three times as much and it will not be two to three times the bike IMHO. I have not owned a modern Litespeed since they were still being built by the Lynskey family, but I am sure they are also nice riding bikes.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM

I queried this exact thing (Moots vs Lynskey and the value proposition for each) with the guy I spoke to and he pointed me in the direction of Litespeed as a good middle ground. I don't love their decals, but I think they're offering free logo etching at the moment...

A Vamoots with rim brakes is $3280 frame only. Obviously more than either a Lynskey or Litespeed but not as bad as I thought either...... After all, this is the search for the bike I actually keep, so maybe spending a little more would save me more in the future. We shall see.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
If it were me, I would check lead times for 333fab and Hampsten...
This...

Question, if you want a bike to keep, why are you looking for something off the rack? Be patient and buy the perfect bike for you to begin with. Otherwise you will most likely be on the hunt for another bike again.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM

Where do all the new Lynsky's go? I have literally never seen one in the flesh. Then again, I'm in the middle carbon central aka SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Good idea! Lynskey is hard to beat for the money. I must have bought at least five framesets from them when they were blowing them out at ridiculous prices over the winter a few years ago. You can spend a lot more money and not really end up with a better bike. Moots makes a great bike as well, but will definitely set you back two to three times as much and it will not be two to three times the bike IMHO. I have not owned a modern Litespeed since they were still being built by the Lynskey family, but I am sure they are also nice riding bikes.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Where do all the new Lynsky's go? I have literally never seen one in the flesh. Then again, I'm in the middle carbon central aka SoCal.
mine is right here. at home on the road and on mellow dirt

Old 05-27-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
There are a few around where I live.

I had one for a bit and it was a really solid ride, but my heart was really set on something else.

FWIW, I think they are nice bikes, just not quite as nice as the ones that cost a lot more and it does seem they weigh a bit more.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:

I sold all of mine off shortly after receiving my Drifter. They were blowing out frames for around $600-$800 at the time and I just couldn’t resist. Pretty sure I built up four out of the five and they all rode very well, but became redundant and I have since downsized to one road, one gravel, one hardtail and a fat bike. I am finally content with what I have kept and spending more time riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 PM

Moots. Either used or new. Either old geo tubing or new generation. Moots.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:54 PM

Here's a shot of my Seven taken a few days ago in Malibu. Bought it used around 80% off retail and it's a great bike. It's my second Seven and this may be blasphemy, but I could never warm up to my Moots Vamoots. "Harsh and dull" is how I described it in my cycling journal.

The Sevens, on the other hand, are much more lively and smooth. I realize you can make any frame have certain characteristics but the combination of build quality, turnaround time, and simple aesthetics are each nailed by Seven when it comes to ti frames.

I agree with what Nick (A.S.) said about SoCal: this is still a skinny tire rim brake haven. At least from the hundreds of cyclists that have passed me on the PCH

Ring up Summer Cycles in Del Mar...Seven advertises a 6 week turnaround which was the same when I ordered my first frame years ago. I was actually riding it within 4 weeks.

Finally, if you're looking for something unique and want an awesome experience, a Kirk Onesto would be a "one and done" type of bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seven malibu 5-23-20 copy.jpg (122.2 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by JasonF; 05-27-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
In used ti, Moots will always command a premium, but they really are great, beautiful bicycles, and do crop up fairly often.

Other ti frames that are "findable" used are Litespeed; Merlin (those "Works" frames are great, but much more rare); Seven; Lynskey of course (even new on their eBay store); Spectrum (RIP) very seldom...IF, Mosaic, Alchemy, Alliance, Firefly, the other more recent companies etc are all harder to find used.

New, beside the other all-good recommendations above, would be Jim Kish for high expertise/fair prices. Bill Holland is closer to LA (San Diego) but more $$$. DeSalvo is like Kish, same range.
Very good overall ti recommends.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:58 PM
Formerly rchman

I too have had more bikes than you can shake a stick at (running list here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...&submit=Search)

The bike KarlC linked above, my Litespeed T3 has been able to survive the ever revolving door of bikes coming and going. Of all the bikes I've owned, it's in my opinion the best riding bike. Litespeed is very big on tube manipulation which I think helps define the ride characteristic where it's able to match the feel of a carbon bike while being compliant and smooth. I think Seven is the only other company I'd consider buying a Ti bike from. Moots is as prevalent in LA as a Tesla, and that'd bother me. I'm sure they're great but I don't like seeing 6 identical bikes to mine on a group ride.

Litespeed may not have the sex appeal of some of the other manufacturers but they've been in this game longer than anyone else and know how to make a damn good bike.

Lastly, fwiw, I ride a small frame so ymmv with a larger size but a medium (54) should be similar in ride.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM

Isn't there a ti Hampsten in the classifieds here?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
A beautiful one indeed...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
It's advertised as a 56cm but the ST is only 54cm so it may be a long/low bike.