Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 06:47 PM

I have not found pellet grills to be sensitive to humidity. done many long smokes with packers and full pork shoulders and it has done great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Bingo. Although I haven’t bought the pizza attachment yet. We just grill the pizza right on the grill for now. Lump charcoal, get it scorching hot. Roll out dough. Grill one side for one minute, add toppings, olive oil, mozz cheese, back on for another couple min. Done.

I’ve done a full packer brisket but had to trim a bit off the flat. Not much. Eventually, I’ll get a 26” kettle and XL Slow n sear. Although I love the table on the Performer which the 26 doesn’t come with.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I can smoke and grill on my Traeger.

I can get any “flavor” of Traeger pellets at Ace Hardware, my local grill store, and, during the stay at home, from Amazon.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Small ring

you can get a KettlePizza pretty hot:

P1040829.jpg
Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Not sure about the pellet smokers. Ive heard(i think here) that if its too humid or something along the lines of that, it wont work. Someone will chime in with the real facts.
Can't think of why that would be. I've never had any issues with this Green Mountain and it's humid here in the summer.

There's are many ways to skin a cat. It can't really be wrong if you can produce the desired results with it. I've smoked on all sort of rigs from cinder block pits to a WiFi controlled box with an electric fan that burns compressed sawdust to myriad homemade apparatus. There is no best option so far as I can see. The fundamentals are what they are.

I'm pretty intrigued by those KettlePizzas. I used to make naan in a Weber on an inverted wok, you can get them up there with lump hardwood. Also curious about the pizza insert for the Green Mountains.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 05-26-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Another vote for the kamado style ceramic grill. I got mine at Costco last fall--I believe it's a Louisiana Grills brand. I love the versatility...can get it up to 700 degrees to cook pizza or run it low and slow for smoking. Did a nice little brisket on Sunday--heated it up in the morning, checked it periodically throughout the day, and indulged for a late dinner. I've tried five or six different brands of lump charcoal and do find the Green Egg brand to be my favorite.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 PM

I'll add another vote for the Komodo style grill. I've had a BGE for 10 or so years and it's been perfect, with the exception that I wish I'd gotten the XL instead of L size.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I have the Komodo Joe.
Also have the Weber bullet smoker.
The Weber is a quality product, no doubt.
But the ceramic cooker is incredible.
There's a bit of a learning curve but I'm at the point now where I can fire it in the evening, put a huge slab o'pig on at about 930 pm, go to bed, wake up in the morning, do a little adjusting and have a beautiful shoulder ready to eat by 3pm, with the temp in the cooker running 225F-250F the entire time.
Wow, itll stay hot all through the night? Impressive.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 PM

We have a large BGE, a side box smoker, and Weber. The BGE really does shine-smokes, grills, sears. Easy to control the heat and very efficient with the lump charcoal. We use the side box for some cooks, but’s it’s a lot more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I have found my pellet smoker to be better in warmer temps.

It was pretty tricky when it was 45 degrees out and required closer monitoring as it would occasionally “lose fire”. I know you can buy a special insulating blanket that supposedly stops this but I passed on it. I probably will get one next fall.

No experience with high humidity.... yet.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I have found my pellet smoker to be better in warmer temps.

It was pretty tricky when it was 45 degrees out and required closer monitoring as it would occasionally “lose fire”. I know you can buy a special insulating blanket that supposedly stops this but I passed on it. I probably will get one next fall.

No experience with high humidity.... yet.

BK
Thats probably what i was remembering then. I know it was something with the weather. Not necessarily humidity.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:43 AM

I’ve got a Green Mountain Pellet grill, super easy to use, the wifi control is makes things really simple. Getting pellets is easy via Amazon, if we hadn’t been in lockdown, there is a dealer close to me that sells pellets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 AM

My wife got me a small Weber rocky mountain smoker about 5 years ago. Still in good shape, no need to replace anytime soon.

I've recently started to grill on it too. Getting the fire right for grilling takes a bit of sn effort and cooking squatting down is funny but it works.

For the price, and as an experiment it has been good.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Wow, itll stay hot all through the night? Impressive.
It's fantastic. It took me some time to figure out how to load it properly for that but it's amazing what it can do.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 AM

For versatility, nothing beats a ceramic grill(I have a BGE). It does everything, and once you figure out how to control the temp it can go from 12+ hour overnight smokes, to pizza and everything in between. Absolutely love mine.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Administrator

thanks guys!

i think one of the ceramic offerings is in my future.

i'm already thinking i'm going to pour a small concrete pad to put it on.

question:

is it OK to leave these things outside uncovered year round? my weber and the stainless steel natural gas grill live in the elements and have held up well over a decade+ of ownership, but i admittedly know i killed my cheapo smoker by leaving it not out.

well.....that and the blazing fire i had in it that completely overheated it and burned all the paint off, haha.

i should probably buy a nice cover for this thing if i want it to last forever right? but the other school of thought is that covers trap moisture? what to do?