Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 02:58 AM

did 9's come like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupless View Post
8 is great and in this color please. Fancy Slice fork too...
Photo from the best blog ever, Belgium Knee Warmers. Tony’s personal bike.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
did 9's come like that?
The first two model years (2007-2008) of the CAAD9 definitely had a raw/clearcoated finish option. It wasn't listed in the 2009 catalog, but may have been available for custom team orders. For 2010, the raw finish was not available because Cannondale changed their production process by shot peening the bottom bracket shells where they meet the downtubes. All CAAD9 frames were painted after that process was introduced.

Greg
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM
n - 1

I always wanted a Caad and almost bought one several years ago.

How does Supersix compare. Looking at the local classifieds, the pricing is similar. There is a 2015 Supersix Evo with Force for $1,200. Caad12’s seem to be around the same price.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

How does Supersix compare. Looking at the local classifieds, the pricing is similar. There is a 2015 Supersix Evo with Force for $1,200. Caad12’s seem to be around the same price.
After the first week of riding on my CAAD10 I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and my high end carbon bikes. Sorry. I said it. I was racing as Cat3 at the time and considered myself decent rider........but I guess not decent enough to know difference in frame material

Man it's nuts what those Supersix's go for now........helluva lot cheaper than when I bought mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supersx.jpg (69.7 KB, 316 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:17 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

last gen SSEVO is the last of the great Cdale road bikes imo.
SSEVO HI-MOD will save you about 300g w/ higher-modulus carbon

Saving weight by going with SSEVO instead of a CAAD.
But CAAD is all about having a great metal race bike.

I'm a big fan of both.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupless View Post
8 is great and in this color please. Fancy Slice fork too...
Photo from the best blog ever, Belgium Knee Warmers. Tony’s personal bike.
That's exactly the CAAD 8 that I had - with the clearcoat. That's a much better bike, and a *much* lighter bike (1190grams frame in 56) than the 10 (1242g in 56cm)... which I also had, the same exact bike as AZRider's BBQ black with dark grey details.

The 10 fork weighed 395grams and was cut absolutely slammed on mine - room for a Campagnolo flat carbon cap and a Deda superliggero. Same setup on the 8 but obviously not the 10 fork, and that fork setup weighed 315grams. (Total frameset as i said earlier was 132grams less.... which oddly is exactly the same weight GregL said his 10 was less than his 9. I dunno how a 9 would weight so much 262grams more than my 8???? Must have got an unlucky 9)

The only issue with those clearcoat bikes was water penetration and oxidization, which always, always happened to those. Mine eventually started looking bad so I sold it for the 10..... what a mistake.

That's the premium+ higher end stock Cannondale fork, it's not the fanciest fork - the SI that Time made. Those were really, really light. I think the SI fork was the very last one ever made by Time, then Cannondale made their own - the Premium (with a alu steerer and the Premium+ with a carbon steerer). I found a pic of the really light SI but it won't embed. You know them cause they were full carbon, really black, just said SI on the side, nothing more and the Cannondale words went down the front of the fork blades, not the sides. They were really rare and short lived, came only with the highest end CAAD 7's I believe.

Like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/c...ice_si_carbon/

Last edited by rain dogs; 05-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:55 AM

I always thought the main problem with the CAADS was they didn't cost enough. I've had most of them, and the only one I didn't like was a 3, and only because it was very stiff. Others rode fine. No prestige in a cheap frame. I got my 2015 10 frame and fork NEW for slightly under $600.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
After the first week of riding on my CAAD10 I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and my high end carbon bikes. Sorry. I said it. I was racing as Cat3 at the time and considered myself decent rider........but I guess not decent enough to know difference in frame material

Man it's nuts what those Supersix's go for now........helluva lot cheaper than when I bought mine
i had two different CAAD10s that were great, but it would be hard to part with my current CAAD12 Black Inc.

Maybe I also lack the refinement to discern subtle differences in frame material.

I rotate the CAAD12 with a Canyon Ultimate and a classic Time VXRS Ulteam and the CAAD12 gets the most use.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
No prestige in a cheap frame.
which, along with the fact that they're aluminum, makes them great dedicated trainer bikes.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimattio View Post
i had two different CAAD10s that were great, but it would be hard to part with my current CAAD12 Black Inc.

Maybe I also lack the refinement to discern subtle differences in frame material.

I rotate the CAAD12 with a Canyon Ultimate and a classic Time VXRS Ulteam and the CAAD12 gets the most use.
From me to you........

Old 05-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
That's exactly the CAAD 8 that I had - with the clearcoat. That's a much better bike, and a *much* lighter bike (1190grams frame in 56) than the 10 (1242g in 56cm)... which I also had, the same exact bike as AZRider's BBQ black with dark grey details.

The 10 fork weighed 395grams and was cut absolutely slammed on mine - room for a Campagnolo flat carbon cap and a Deda superliggero. Same setup on the 8 but obviously not the 10 fork, and that fork setup weighed 315grams. (Total frameset as i said earlier was 132grams less.... which oddly is exactly the same weight GregL said his 10 was less than his 9. I dunno how a 9 would weight so much 262grams more than my 8???? Must have got an unlucky 9)

The only issue with those clearcoat bikes was water penetration and oxidization, which always, always happened to those. Mine eventually started looking bad so I sold it for the 10..... what a mistake.

That's the premium+ higher end stock Cannondale fork, it's not the fanciest fork - the SI that Time made. Those were really, really light. I think the SI fork was the very last one ever made by Time, then Cannondale made their own - the Premium (with a alu steerer and the Premium+ with a carbon steerer). I found a pic of the really light SI but it won't embed. You know them cause they were full carbon, really black, just said SI on the side, nothing more and the Cannondale words went down the front of the fork blades, not the sides. They were really rare and short lived, came only with the highest end CAAD 7's I believe.

Like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/c...ice_si_carbon/
Rain dogs, my compliments! You really know your Cannondales. A few more thoughts:

- Your CAAD8 weights are nearly identical to my CAAD8-based Six13. My Six13 Team frame (56) was 1203 grams and fork (Slice Si ) was 315 grams. The combination was simply wonderful!

- My CAAD9 is from the last production year (2010). All CAAD9s were painted that year and the blue paint on mine is thick and heavy! The frame is 1327 grams and the fork 425 grams.

- My CAAD10 (56) is 1230 grams with a 390 gram fork. Heavier than your CAAD8 or my Six13, but definitely a stiffer front end than the CAAD9 or Six13.

- Your impressions of the Si fork are on the mark! My 2007 Six13 had one (although I don't know if it was original equipment) as shown in this thread when I listed it on the forum classifieds.

Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable stroll down CAAD memory lane!

Greg
Old 05-27-2020, 01:47 PM

The caad10 has a stiff front end, I used to really crank on that thing like I was trying to rip the thing apart lol...
Old 05-27-2020, 01:56 PM

This thread pains me to think I blew out my nicely equipped CAAD for a song! (But the market spoke, and the price was the price.). I was in middle of a cross country move and didn't have room to pack, ship and store. Hindsight....I should have made room. Oh well!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=Caad

Hope a fellow Paceliner is enjoying it, whoever you are!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
I found a pic of the really light SI but it won't embed. You know them cause they were full carbon, really black, just said SI on the side, nothing more and the Cannondale words went down the front of the fork blades, not the sides. They were really rare and short lived, came only with the highest end CAAD 7's I believe.
They were standard spec on all the top end CDales from 05-07. My first gen Saeco Six13 had one with a gold Si logo. Measured 300g and rode like a dream. I still like the Saeco CAAD7s with candy apple paint the most.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
They were standard spec on all the top end CDales from 05-07. My first gen Saeco Six13 had one with a gold Si logo. Measured 300g and rode like a dream. I still like the Saeco CAAD7s with candy apple paint the most.
It looks like there's a screaming deal on a red CAAD7 with Slice fork on Facebook in San Antonio right now. $160 bucks for the frame and fork. Looks clean...

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caad7facebook.JPG (101.9 KB, 260 views)

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad