Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 01:09 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Looking at all these CAAD photos really makes me pine for my old CAAD10
It was in custom team colors, which Cannondale used to do commonly I think.
I would have really prized it now, if I had the foresight to hold onto it

I've always really liked the CAAD12 Black Inc. I thought that was a sharp bike at any price. A friend has one, and always wanted one.

Nowadays, any of these older CAAD bikes would be great to have. I would just look for the best condition you can find.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
[....] Most beautiful (if thats all that matters is the 7.) A ruby red Saeco team with BB30 and the rarer full carbon SI fork is ridiculous - that fork is lighter and stiffer than the 10 fork and it's like 7 years older? or 8?
I think that's what my frameset (linked above) may be? ~2004 team bike.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

I was hit by a car in a (8 speed) CAAD 3 and it was replaced with the original CAAD 8 (9 speed) that I still have.
Many years ago I upgraded it to 10 speed Campy components from 9 speed Shimano.
It is still the "fastest" bike that I own, even "faster" than the newer carbon bike that I have.
I may upgrade it to 12 speed ...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:43 PM

I've owned the following Cannondale road frames:

- 1992 3.0 frame with Easton EC90 fork. Precursor to the CAADs. Super-stiff frame that rode nicely on smooth pavement, but less satisfactory on rough pavement, particularly on bumpy downhills.

- 2001 CAAD3 with standard Slice fork (steel steerer with carbon blades) and later an Ouzo Pro fork. I actually liked it better with the original fork since it provided a better front/rear stiffness balance. This frame was "unsophisticated" to me. It didn't leave me with any lasting impressions other than it was a reasonable racing tool.

- 2006 and 2007 Six13 Team framesets. Not technically CAAD frames, but in reality they were built as CAAD8 frames before cutting out the down and top tubes and replacing them with carbon fiber tubes. The 2007 frame was a size 57 and the 2006 was a size 56. These frames were (to me) among the best of the CAAD family of bikes. The 2007 model in particular was the lightest of the CAAD family I owned and it had the wonderful Slice Si fork. These frames had a great combination of power transfer and smoothness. Equally at home in a crit or on a century ride.

- 2010 CAAD9. Last of the US-made CAADs. As others have already stated, a terrific bike on many levels. Near instant power transfer, smooth ride, great handling. The only thing the CAAD9 gives up to the Six13 Team was a tiny bit of weight (234 grams for the frame/fork). Mine has the BB30 bottom bracket with angular contact bearings, Wheels Manufacturing Delrin adapters, and Shimano 6800 crankset. My experience has been 100% positive with smooth bearings and no creaks!

- 2012 CAAD10. Similar to the CAAD9, but very slightly laterally stiffer both front and rear with a more direct steering feel (tapered fork steerer). When I first rode it at an light-moderate pace, It felt a little too stiff and slightly twitchy. Then I rode it in a race and my perspective changed. It felt perfect in a racing environment. It reminds me of an autocross or track car. Very much at home in competition, but a touch stiff for street use. The CAAD10 frame/fork is 132 grams lighter than the CAAD9.

My $0.02: of the CAADs I've ridden, the CAAD10 is the best pure racer, the CAAD9 is the best all-arounder. The Six13 Team (sort of a CAAD...) was the best of both worlds and the one I regret selling!

Greg
Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM

CAAD10 raw for the win!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Agreed with others. CAAD 10 black got me back into cycling.
beautiful specimen! Are you near me? I'm on the SL/CastroValley Border
Old 05-26-2020, 04:24 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I really like my 10
My son likes his 12

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Imshi Cycles

12, i hope.
i came to own a mavic neutral service caad12 recently, sent it back to NJ for safe keeping...will build one day, always wanted one of those yellow bikes
Old 05-26-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Depends on what you're into, but I always loved the USA made, English BB, hourglass seat stay, Time-made fork equipped models with the oversize Nascar decal treatment. That's the CAAD7 Optimo right? Bonus- they used the Campy standard internal headsets which means you have that little extra bit of Campy bling on a full build, or a reminder that Campy exists on a Shimano/SRAM build.

Everything beyond that probably performs better but lost some soul, if an aluminum beer can could have soul.
I can’t comment on ride, but this is the caad I most want to look at. Don’t stop at the headset, record 12 and bora wheels.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 PM

Neutral Service Bike

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you go about getting one?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Does anyonr know if the tire clearance got better with the later models? I'd like to have one that will fit an honest 28.
My 2010 CAAD 9 does.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM

It's only been two weeks since I sold my CAAD7 and this thread is already making me miss it. Its spot in the garage has been taken by a Time VXS. I only have one 25 mile ride on the VXS so far and still have a bit of tweaking to do, but the first impression is that it's not a significant improvement over the CAAD.

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caad7.jpg (115.9 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg vxs.jpg (144.7 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by texbike; 05-26-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
12, i hope.
i came to own a mavic neutral service caad12 recently, sent it back to NJ for safe keeping...will build one day, always wanted one of those yellow bikes
Ha....this echos what my good buddy and I have always said, having a Neutral service CAAD would be amazing backup bike
Old 05-26-2020, 06:07 PM

I remember when I took delivery of my Seven. It was a grail bike for me. It rode (and still rides) beautifully, but in the back of my head I couldn't help thinking "I'm not sure this is better than the CAAD9". It made me panic a bit at first until I settled down and realized they're just different horses. The CAAD was also a great project bike. I made it a weight weenie (right at 13 lbs with no crazy concessions), a crit bike, a daily driver. As long as I went fast on it, it was happy.

Seeing all these other CAADs makes me think about my CX bike that's still in mint condition and rarely gets ridden. For the cash that would fetch I could track down a CAAD and build kit. Hmm....
Old 05-26-2020, 06:16 PM

Prior to me owning my CAAD 10 I was racing for shop and getting ridiculous discounts on super high end bikes and the last bike I had was the BH Ultralight. After selling that thing on Ebay and having to buy my own ride so to speak, I got the CAAD 10 and haven't looked back.

As my brother always said "Cannondale was the first to produce perfect Alu bike and they've only gotten better since." The name Cannondale is almost synonymous with Alu atmo

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad