Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
They may be older users.. by default the new privacy settings mean you cannot find them on leaderboards, fly-bys, etc. So even if you rode side-by-side with someone for 8 hours, you can go home and not be able to track them down to follow them.

Plenty of times I rode up the same hill with someone and thought "huh, I should follow that person" - which you basically can't do any more.
Ok, gotcha. I thought you meant searching by name.

I signed up for the subscription today. $60/year isn’t bad.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Word.
it's still free.

If you want to take advantage of Strava's social features, you pay. Thats simple.
Entitlement is a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Yeah.. I fully agree.. I'm having a hard time understanding the person complaining about this change. I know people who work at STRAVA in SF. Small company and the lack of ads can't be understated.

If strava is that much of a necessity of a tool for folks, they should pony up the $60/yr.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Everything they're trying to push is done better by someone somewhere else. Route planning? Komoot. Training plan tracking? Uh, pick the list: Training Peaks, etc etc.

The leaderboard is THE reason Strava is Strava. Paywalling that is just moving the deck chairs around imo.
Strava's "Beacon" feature is the most consistent and easy to use of any of the options - my Wahoo tracker sends bad data to my spouse all the time, not even worth having it on.. So, $60/yr for peace of mind for your significant other? That's a small price to pay.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Word.
it's still free.

If you want to take advantage of Strava's social features, you pay. Thats simple.
Entitlement is a bitch.
So's asking your product -- the people Strava is trying to monetize -- to pay to use the service that is monetizing them?

That's....big brass balls kind of cojones.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
So's asking your product -- the people Strava is trying to monetize -- to pay to use the service that is monetizing them?

That's....big brass balls kind of cojones.
Then don't use it.
What's the big deal.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Strava's "Beacon" feature is the most consistent and easy to use of any of the options - my Wahoo tracker sends bad data to my spouse all the time, not even worth having it on.. So, $60/yr for peace of mind for your significant other? That's a small price to pay.
Use the Wahoo Live Tracker with only one small hiccup over the last, however long I've had a Wahoo. Ain't worth $60/year to a mediocre platform developer to reduce my issue count from 1 to 0.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Then don't use it.
What's the big deal.
None, the only reason my stuff uploads there anymore is I'm too lazy to turn off the autosync in the Wahoo app.

What I don't like is Strava pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining. Well, that and they'll sucker some MAMILs into forking over the $60 a year like they're Sister Mary's Alms for the Poor and not a venture backed company that shot it's shot and whiffed horribly.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Sure, that's why you keep using strava.

You a pro-bono MAMIL financial advocate?

Quote:
None, the only reason my stuff uploads there anymore is I'm too lazy to turn off the autosync in the Wahoo app.

What I don't like is Strava pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining. Well, that and they'll sucker some MAMILs into forking over the $60 a year like they're Sister Mary's Alms for the Poor and not a venture backed company that shot it's shot and whiffed horribly.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:30 PM

At first it irked me that they were basically requiring you to pay for their service. I was a paid member for 2-3 years, the last year or so I switched to the free version (and couldn't really tell the difference).

After reading through the first page of responses I realize that some of you are correct. It's really the only social media I use, and I use it a lot. It's tons of fun (and motivating) to see your rides and what your friends and family are up to.

The fact that there are no ads is the number one reason I'm going to start paying again. I'm glad they are a small company and I hope they start turning a profit. 55 million users! Wow!
Old 05-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Free version constantly seems to try me to sign up. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I use the Garmin feature. I have used iPhone tracking to let my wife know where I am too but you have to turn that one on. I too have issues with wahoo tracking. The Garmin or the apple iPhone feature I have not had any issues.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Everything they're trying to push is done better by someone somewhere else. Route planning? Komoot. Training plan tracking? Uh, pick the list: Training Peaks, etc etc.

The leaderboard is THE reason Strava is Strava. Paywalling that is just moving the deck chairs around imo.
Does komoot overlay its heatmap data on its route builder? Does anyone other than strava do this? Does anyone have close to strava’s vast data nearly everywhere in the world underlying the heat maps?

I happily pay for this feature. You can instantly identify a wealth of potential routes no matter where you are. I will cry if Strava ever goes away because of this.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 PM

I signed up for the full package a couple weeks ago after they stopped allowing the "Beacon Only" option - so my only minor gripe is that I didn't get two months (60-days) of free use..... So be it.

Now if Strava would just add a place for framebuilders to post pics (and a general bike pR0n and commenting section) and some classifieds, I could quit FB entirely.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Sure, that's why you keep using strava.

You a pro-bono MAMIL financial advocate?
I can't tell you the last time I logged into the site to look at anything. Not friends rides, not rando influencers, not my times on segments. But they're still getting my data. So yeah, maybe I am the rube here.

But "use" is not what I would call my relationship with their Barn Fire of a platform.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Does komoot overlay its heatmap data on its route builder? Does anyone other than strava do this? Does anyone have close to strava’s vast data nearly everywhere in the world underlying the heat maps?

I happily pay for this feature. You can instantly identify a wealth of potential routes no matter where you are. I will cry if Strava ever goes away because of this.
The heat map data is nice, but their mapping software makes MapQuest circa 2001 look cutting edge.

And just because everyone rides a specific segment doesn't make it good or useful. Everybody in Charlotte did the airport loop for years on the Saturday morning chain gang. Would I recommend that to someone looking for scenery? God no.