Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 AM

Wonder what's going on after it leaves the originating country.

Mine left the Netherlands on May 15. Radio silence since then.

I did confirm that it was being shipped via air. If others are reporting a couple weeks of no updates you'd think it was coming via surface.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM

it's on a boat

my stuff ordered May 3 is supposed to arrive tomorrow via usps. i too wonder why orders seem to sit for 2 weeks. maybe they group packages to save money and customs must fit into the equation somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Wonder what's going on after it leaves the originating country.

Mine left the Netherlands on May 15. Radio silence since then.

I did confirm that it was being shipped via air. If others are reporting a couple weeks of no updates you'd think it was coming via surface.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:06 AM

Update on this order: it arrived on 5/18, exactly 3 weeks after my order. Not the worst. I had ordered a Pro Stealth 152mm Allroad saddle and the Pro camera mount that attaches to the saddle for my Garmin Varia. Immediately out of the box I went to install the mount. The threading for the rearmost bolt just broke loose and starting spinning within the saddle after 1.5 turns of the bolt. One would think the optimal design here is to have a threaded plate inside the saddle for this mount, but it seems there are individual "nuts" glued into the saddle.

This began my efforts to communicate with a human at BikeInn. Long story short, I gave up after 5 attempts over 48 hours. Each time I received a quick automated email response that never addressed my actual question or issue or instructed me to use another page on their site to resolve the issue.

I called Shimano N.A. I had a pedal come unthreaded from the spindle within
the first mile a few years ago so this is my second Shimano warranty issue. Both times the person on the line had the attitude of "What did you do wrong? You bought this from an online retailer? Why would you do that?"

Anyhow, I can send the saddle back to Shimano on my dime for them to inspect it, which I will do.

All that said, I'm going to ride the saddle tonight to see if it works for me. If it does I'm seriously considering ordering another one from BikeInn because I've only seen it available at one or two other places and at about 50% more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I should've searched for this thread before ordering, I guess. Consensus is pretty unanimous.

I placed an order 4/27 that shipped 4/28. 5/14 and I still don't have it. Seems it went through customs in Chicago then made it's way to LA (oops, wrong way). They did send me a photo of the actual package, but the label doesn't show a USPS tracking number, though it seems that's the current carrier. Hasn't updated in a couple days. Seems the problem would be with USPS, but I wonder if it has to do anything with the foreign/atypical labeling.

BikeInn by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr
Old 05-22-2020, 02:32 PM

Good to know. I also ordered the saddle and camera mount. I'll be extra careful when installing but I do wonder how robust it is now.

Wonder why the Shimano guy questioned your online purchase.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Good to know. I also ordered the saddle and camera mount. I'll be extra careful when installing but I do wonder how robust it is now.

Wonder why the Shimano guy questioned your online purchase.
FWIW, I was not heavy handed. I'm not saying you suggest that, but it was a simple as turning the 3mm hex bolt. One had no issue. The bolts do have a blue thread locker applied, but they are both Shimano Pro products, so they obviously intend for this.

The Shimano rep said I had three options for warranty claim. Two of them involved an LBS/dealer. I told him that I ordered online for the same reason he's working from home; a global pandemic. And that even if taking the saddle to an LBS for this was a good option, I was not the kind of person who takes an item I purchased somewhere else to have them do the legwork (using their time and money) to handle the warranty claim. And for an item they likely do not stock. I asked him to confirm if that's indeed what he was suggesting and he sheepishly confirmed.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:59 PM

Yeah, them's the risks with online, overseas purchases. I wouldn't ask an LBS unless I had a buddy working in one who offered to do it.

Obviously not designed for access to the threaded area either.

The camera mount was what tipped the scale for the purchase for me.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I'm seriously considering ordering another one from BikeInn because I've only seen it available at one or two other places and at about 50% more.
This is pretty funny. It literally distills crappy CS down to its core-- we'll deal with it if the price is right. I'm guessing BikeInn knows this too.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:32 PM

if you're waiting...

apparently we're not alone:

https://m.facebook.com/page/reviews....02728953124333
Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 PM

I ordered a pair of giro MTB overshoes from them. They sent me the road version. Customer service was, well, there was none: no replies to my emails. Decided to use the road overshoes instead, not be a cheapskate over 15€ and buy from shops I trust (Bike24, r2-bike, bike-components).
Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
This is pretty funny. It literally distills crappy CS down to its core-- we'll deal with it if the price is right. I'm guessing BikeInn knows this too.
Yep, that's the short of it. For whatever reason, as Veloo says, this is the only place I can find the camera/radar mount, though.

Edit: The product page for the Pro Camera/Accessory mount at BikeInn now says

Quote:
Due to the Pro new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to United States Of America
Odd. I'll order another Pro Stealth Allroad elsewhere.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 05-23-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM

i knew there was a god

and if i clicked on tracking 1001 times something good would happen. on the move again out of customs:

May 28 2020

03:40 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional FacilityUSPS

CHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

May 19 2020

07:10 am

Processed Through FacilityUSPS

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

May 3 2020

01:26 pm

AcceptanceUSPS

NETHERLANDS, Netherlands

May 3 2020

01:21 pm

The item is pre-advised to PostNLPostNL International

May 2 2020

12:50 pm

The Item is at the shippers warehousePostNL International
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM

I ordered my white Pro Stealth on May 6th, it was in the warehouse on May 11th, with NL Post International on May 12th, and accepted by USPS on May 12th?

That is the last known status. My best guess is either it is on a ship or stuck in US custom somewhere.

I have learned to be patient with international shipping nowadays since it took two months for me to receive something from AliExpress.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM

I think all of our orders are in the same customs queue. My order that was accepted by USPS on the 13th hasn't moved or updated at all since. This would be a good time to see just how effective "thoughts and prayers" really are.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:26 PM

Anyone got their packages yet? Mine is still stuck somewhere since 5/12.

Should have ordered from Taiwan via ebay.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:10 AM

Was considering ordering the pro stealth offroad and discover bar tape from them...nearest price I can find is Blue Sky Cycling with their 20% coupon but the order is still $32 more there than at BikeInn. Do you guys think the problem is purely customs in Chicago? Since I'm near DC, I'd hope mine would fly in to JFK or IAD...anyone else in the mid-atlantic able to say which way your BikeInn stuff came through?