Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 10:32 AM
LateStart

Bike that made the biggest change in your riding

For those of you with 3+ bikes. Did you ever buy a new bike that made 2 or more bikes unnecessary? Did you sell the bikes 'made redundant'? While bikes are becoming more specialized, some are crossing so many boundaries that special bikes are less needed. Gravel bikes on the road, e-bikes on dirt trails, aero-ized general purpose road bikes.

What's your story...
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 AM

I went from 3 bikes down to just my Argon18 Dark Matter for a while. It worked out just fine, as the bike rides very well both on and off road. That said, I ended up buying a dedicated road bike again when a really good deal came up on a bike I had been lusting after for a long time.

It is good to have options, or at least a back up bike if the other one goes down for some reason.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 AM

Sure. I’m in the middle of such things.

Just a month ago, I had:
Road bike - we will call this a traditional stage racer 25mm tire max
Touring bike - medium reach brakes, clearance for 35s and my “daily”
Cross bike - 1x10, room for 38s, canti brakes, and a fairly tall bb

I picked these as it felt like the perfect stable to fit my riding style and surroundings. What I found was that my daily riding transitioned from the touring bike to the cross bike (yeti arc-x). I’m not sure if it was the lighter weight, the more lively feel, or something else. I found myself on dirt more (not surprising) but also feeling happier on pavement (not sure why) After setting unloved for far too long, I made the decision to part out the touring bike and convert the Yeti from 1x10 to 2x12 so it could better serve as a daily rider. I also kept the spare wheelset so I could change the nature of the bike.

Moving forward, the yeti will typically wear road slicks and an 11-29 cassette but I’ve got a second wheelset with cross tires and an 11-34 than can be thrown on at any time. For the crankset, I went with a 52/36. Keep in mind that I’m in a fairly flat area and a lot of my road riding has been on a 53/39 and a 12-23.

This also freed up space for me to add a flat bar flat pedal bike to use around town and eventually with my daughter who recently turned 1. The rack and bags from the abandoned touring bike will see new life for family outings.

I hope this ends up the ideal three bike stable. (I said that last time too)

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 05-24-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:53 AM

From a road perspective, I haven't experienced anything that has changed my riding significantly or reduced the number of bikes in the garage (I love trying different road bikes and the aesthetics of them). However, from a MTB perspective, a Redline MonoCog 29r purchased 12 years ago completely transformed my approach to that sport. I absolutely love riding a fully-rigid, single speed 29r. The simplicity is refreshing. It's not perfect for every occasion, but I can keep up with or outride 95% of the guys that I usually ride with out on the trails. The low level of maintenance is also a bonus. At some point, I'll pick up a nicer SS 29r, but the MonoCog has had the biggest impact on my cycling perspective in the last 20 years. I've said it in several other threads here, but if I could only have one bike, the MonoCog would be it.

Texbike
Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 PM

>>Bike that made the biggest change in your riding

Easily my 1981 de Rosa - powder blue. The my female friends loved it.

Sure wish I still had this frame again for classic rebuild.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM

My Ottrott, circa 2002. I had been riding a Merlin Extralight, but the Ottrott's ride was amazing, amplified by the custom build (fit).
Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 PM

I turned my road bike and my gravel bike into a single "all-road" oriented bike, and it's great. I had a rim brake Seven Axiom SL for my roadie and a Rock Lobster disc gravel bike. Now I have a Seven Evergreen with a road-biased geometry with two sets of wheels and it's awesome. Jan Heine might be wrong about some things, but 650x38 or 42c slicks are the truth for mixed surface, bad pavement road riding (which I like better than just seeking out chunder gravel anyway).
Old 05-28-2020, 11:09 PM

Fixed gear from road bike. A Super Elliot 1964 race frame (Reynolds 531 with Nervex Pro lugs custom build) fully restored nearly 10 years ago.

Currently 48 x 18 and it's just right for all the riding I'm doing at the moment, which is admittedly not very much.

That bikes get more looks and admiration than its owner and all the other bikes put together.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 AM

The frame that bears my user name. My first custom and it fits like a glove - and the craftsmanship is among the best in the business. I've had it for over 13 years now and it still makes me smile every time I hit the road on it.

I just wish the motor was as good as the bodywork!!
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 AM
Hrmm

Maybe not what you were going for but it wasn't so much a particular bike but the accessories attached to it. Biggest game changer for me was slapping a rack and fenders onto my city/commute bike back when I was riding it everywhere for everything.
I still haven't fully made it to fat tire bikes yet but envision a wide tire (38-42) bike would likely be the next step for me.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 AM

modern carbon is a wonderful thing

While my classic 1" quill stemmed steel bikes have (had) a great ride quality and my Ti Seven was another step forwards, it was a top shelf carbon bike that was the biggest change (and won me over). Great carbon race bikes have a snap that isn't found on steel or Ti (imho) when you put power to the pedals. That quality shines through no matter how strong or tired you may be feeling on a ride and always encourages me to push a little harder. That 'efficiency' also makes tackling punchy climbs or longer efforts more enjoyable.

After fit, I think fit for purpose is a a most critical criteria for finding the 'right' bike. None of the above is very relevant if your doing loaded touring or other type of biking.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:54 AM

For me it was a Pinarello Trevisio with Super Record. As a 21 year old wanna be racer that was the first bike that fit me correctly, was light, and handled well.

Before that I had several "10 speeds" some nice, like a Pro Miyata, but all were a bit too big as I was still growing as a teen. Once I stopped growing I settled on a 58cm, down from a 60cm my whole dynamic changed.

The biggest mechanical change was my Davidson Ti with Record 10, and Hyperions. Before that bike was my Ian Laing SLX with Mavic SSC. Night and day difference! Brifters are a must have.

But, I still have a 57cm Peugeot Super Competition with NOS Spidel that is a joy to ride at 22lbs.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 AM
50 bpm

My first Serotta, a 2001 Atlanta. I had a Trek 5200 and a Specialized Allez M4 before my accident. A year later, when I returned to the road, neither felt right. I sprung for the Atlanta and (hyperbole alert) I felt at one with the road like never before. It relaxed me, allowing me to enjoy riding, rather than feeling like I needed to prove something. And, subsequently, my riding improved.

Those feelings remain nearly 20 years (and eight more Serottas) later.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 AM

80s Cannondale with a steel fork that shimmied no matter who rode it. Back then I had Suntour Superbe and handbuilt wheels. At the local races people marveled at how much lighter it was than any steel bike they had. Oh and it was violet...
Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Descent fitness

My first Moots Psychlo-X did it for me. Amazing to be able to turn onto dirt and keep riding.