Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0 View Post
The Ekar rotors use stainless steel spiders, while the 03 (road) roads use aluminum spiders, which could account for the weight difference.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Do any of you knowledgeable folk know if the Ekar 140 disc caliper is the same as the 140 caliper(s) found on Record/SR/Chorus road groups?

No, they are not the same calipers. The internals for the disc levers and disc calipers are the same. But the body of the caliper is different.

1 difference is Ekar is only in 140mm calipers to be used with adapters.
C/R/SR offers a 140 rear, 160 rear and 160 front with tabs.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
No, they are not the same calipers. The internals for the disc levers and disc calipers are the same. But the body of the caliper is different.

1 difference is Ekar is only in 140mm calipers to be used with adapters.
C/R/SR offers a 140 rear, 160 rear and 160 front with tabs.
Asked and answered
Old 02-04-2022, 06:40 AM

So has anyone actually tried running an Ekar RD with 12s shifters? I know campagnolo say they’re not compatible, but didn’t they also say pre and post 2015 shifters and derailleurs were also jot compatible?

Asking cause would love to run campy 1x on a rim brake bike.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
So has anyone actually tried running an Ekar RD with 12s shifters? I know campagnolo say they’re not compatible, but didn’t they also say pre and post 2015 shifters and derailleurs were also jot compatible?

Does it have to be EKAR rder? Why not a Chorus 12s longer cage rder? Pretty forgiving, cage length wise, big cog wise, with 1by...looking for a clutch?

As an aside..'maybe' some shop somewhere has tried this..when they are building a 12s or Ekar bike, and they have a 'spare' rear der laying about...

BUT, I'm 'guessing' yes...I 'think' the RH lever is essentially the same innards as 12s..with a different notched disc but similar size take up spool..but I don't really know.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-04-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:

How much money do you want to spend? Ingrid Bike has these RDs...

https://ingrid.bike/product/rear-derailleur-rd-12r/
Old 02-04-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
...looking for a clutch?
Indeed I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post

Am aware, but at that point I'd rather just use the Ratio system with Sram. If you take away the FD and the hydro brakes, Sram isn't too bad...
Old 02-04-2022, 08:37 AM
Administrator

someone needs to just try it, i bet it would work, but you just dont know until you try.

what cassette would you use though, for 1/12 campagnolo?
Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
someone needs to just try it, i bet it would work, but you just dont know until you try.

what cassette would you use though, for 1/12 campagnolo?
I'm tempted, but don't wanna get stuck with a loose ekar RD. Cassette would probably be AXS XPLR or maybe even a 10-36. Don't need crazy range.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 AM

So I emailed Ingrid to ask if the same RD will work with both ekar and chorus shifters, and thee've just replied (crazy quick).

They say it needs a different cable fin, which tells me the pull ratio is different enough that chorus shifters won't work with an ekar RD.

Here's the image they sent:

Last edited by fredd; 02-04-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:21 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:

my goodness, that looks awful
Old 02-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So I emailed Ingrid to ask if the same RD will work with both ekar and chorus shifters, and thee've just replied (crazy quick).

They say it needs a different cable fin, which tells me the pull ratio is different enough that chorus shifters won't work with an ekar RD.

Here's the image they sent:

Your Image didn't share, probably because it was embedded in an email. If you pop it into IMGUR or something else for sharing then you can edit the old.

And I get you on the Ratio Tech kit vs that Ingrid RD. The Ingrid stuff isn't for everyone. I also think I'd prefer the Ratio kit if push came to shove.. Esp because one could do things substantially cheaper that way.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Your Image didn't share, probably because it was embedded in an email. If you pop it into IMGUR or something else for sharing then you can edit the old.

And I get you on the Ratio Tech kit vs that Ingrid RD. The Ingrid stuff isn't for everyone. I also think I'd prefer the Ratio kit if push came to shove.. Esp because one could do things substantially cheaper that way.
Thanks for the heads up. Image should be fixed now. Yeah the Ingrid stuff looks and probably functions great, and I can imaging the support is really good, based on just how quickly they replied to my email. But for the price of their RD, I can get a nearly full sram groupset, with the ratio kit.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:50 PM

Just wanted to throw in a brief update on the Ekar 13 speed chain longevity as a few had questioned how long it would last.
I’m approaching 2,200 miles and the chain is just at its wear limit. Caveats - chain was fully stripped of factory grease and got a bath in molten speed wax. It’s only been lubed with Smoove wax lube since. Majority of rides have been in dry and dusty conditions.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Just wanted to throw in a brief update on the Ekar 13 speed chain longevity as a few had questioned how long it would last.
I’m approaching 2,200 miles and the chain is just at its wear limit. Caveats - chain was fully stripped of factory grease and got a bath in molten speed wax. It’s only been lubed with Smoove wax lube since. Majority of rides have been in dry and dusty conditions.
Most chains are rated for 3000 miles, some, 5000 on the high side. So 2200 isn't far off. I would be 2800-3k is going to be the limit for the chains.

Dusty conditions could be bad. We have a Towpath near us that destroys fine components. The Towpath is one of the ones that pulled the canal boats back in the day. So it's a nice smooth flat surface but it's also crushed limestone. The dust from that acts like sandpaper on bikes. It's horrible to try and scrub off and it'll ruin chains really quickly.