Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 PM

2018-2019 Calcio Futbol Football Thread

I'll get things started with a NYT article on Sarri, he who came so close to guiding SSC Napoli to a scudetto on two occasions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/s...-stories-below

Last edited by echappist; 08-21-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I'll get things started with a NYT article on Sarri, he who came so close to guiding SSC Napoli to a scudetto on two occasions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/s...-stories-below
Thanks for sharing this - Napoli will surely miss him and ADL (with his huge ego) should not have let him go. Sarri was a quiet man who accepted ADL's crap but never publicly jousted with him.

Because of the parting of Courtois, Chelsea paid a bunch for their new keeper.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
needs adult supervision

Watching my Gunners fall rather feebly to MC today, one thought kept coming...the new boss is the same as the old boss. I feel a long season coming.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Watching my Gunners fall rather feebly to MC today, one thought kept coming...the new boss is the same as the old boss. I feel a long season coming.
spineless performance, but a few positives. Lichtensteiner was solid when he came on, and once Torreira and lacazette were on, the team came to life. there is something wrong with Mesut Ozil, every pass was behind or in the feet of his teammates, and for a player who wants to wear the 10, he sure seems to have an aversion for being on the ball all the time. Ive never seen a 10 who is on the ball so little, it blows me away.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:35 PM

As an United fan, gonna be an ultra long season watching City and Liverpool battle for the title. Jose's gotta go for a fresher mind like Low the German national coach.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKS View Post
As an United fan, gonna be an ultra long season watching City and Liverpool battle for the title. Jose's gotta go for a fresher mind like Low the German national coach.
United fan? You need to start rooting for DC United - Rooney seeking the highlight films - I don't like him but must admit that yesterdays performance was pretty good.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM

indeed it was a wonderful pace and skill to make that play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
United fan? You need to start rooting for DC United - Rooney seeking the highlight films - I don't like him but must admit that yesterdays performance was pretty good.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I watched that about three times today; it was so good to see. Maybe we'll get him back in the England team if he continues like that :-D

I just wish he had the mindset of Ronaldo; he had the talent to become one of the best in the world but he didn't seem to want it enough.

Iniesta's first goal for his new club is worth a watch in case anyone's missed it. Two absolute legends combining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LR_1J6JhHA
Old 08-29-2018, 12:00 PM

so there's apparently a top-of-the-table clash this weekend.

i'm talking the Watford-Spurs match on Sunday, of course. Bit surreal. Watford not dropping a single point so far this year. Then again, they started hot three years ago and faded
Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:

i'm talking the Watford-Spurs match on Sunday, of course. Bit surreal. Watford not dropping a single point so far this year. Then again, they started hot three years ago and faded
As a long-time Watford fan, their 3-0 start just means they are 31 points from safety. Last week's match against Palace was UGLY. Spurs are at a different level. I just hope they acquit themselves well.

Overall, Hornets are a solid squad without Deulofeu healthy yet, so I am optimist they will not figure in the relegation battle drama. Midtable would be nice.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
As a long-time Watford fan, their 3-0 start just means they are 31 points from safety. Last week's match against Palace was UGLY. Spurs are at a different level. I just hope they acquit themselves well.

Overall, Hornets are a solid squad without Deulofeu healthy yet, so I am optimist they will not figure in the relegation battle drama. Midtable would be nice.
I think they may even have a tilt at top half. As you said, 9 points in the bank means 31 points from the next 35 matches, and the advantage here is that the later a team needs to secure those points, the more mentally draining it becomes. Big leg up over the likes of Burnley, who's expected to do well but got tripped up by Europa qualifying matches.

And speaking of European football, what a farce that LFC is in the 3rd pot, while Lokomotiv Moscow is in the 1st pot. Also hugely unfair is the 5-year rolling window for accumulation of UEFA coefficient points. Really should be capped at three years. BVB and Benfica really don't deserve to be seeded this high...
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 PM

What a joke of a draw. We have joke groups like Groups D, E, & F, each with only one quality team, while the likes of Groups A, B, C, (and possibly H) all have three contenders...

apologies to @wc1934, another year Napoli gets drawn into a group of death

Last edited by echappist; 08-30-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
What a joke of a draw. We have joke groups like Groups D, E, & F, each with only one quality team, while the likes of Groups A, B, C, (and possibly H) all have three contenders...

apologies to @wc1934, another year Napoli gets drawn into a group of death
PSG and Liverpool!!!! Something is not right!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
PSG and Liverpool!!!! Something is not right!
However, I forgot that Buffon is suspended for 3 matches because of his red from the quarter-final RM match.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:

Wow. Never saw that coming.

Still, 28 points from safety. No need to get ahead of oneself.