Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:20 PM

Tips for pre-Dawn riding?

Not really a fan, and not really looking forward to it, but the current schedule dictates that might be the best option.

I know a number of you here have that time slotted for your daily rides. Intuitively, it would seem safer because of less traffic. But riding solo at that time also entails some risks.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thx.
Old Today, 01:42 PM

good lights obviously..

but important to me is direction. I dont want to be heading into a low sun because drivers will be blinded
Old Today, 01:47 PM

Animals start to get pretty active around then, too. And given that it’s the coldest part of the day, things can be a little more slick than expected during early spring/late fall. But I love riding that time of days—cool temps and light traffic.
Old Today, 01:49 PM

Go in the woods/offroad if you can.. transforms that hectic morning rush into utter solitude and if the animals are out it just makes for magic.

Everyone else will be rushing off to work/school and you'll likely have the whole trail system to yourself.

My issue is always calories with early morning rides.
Old Today, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
Animals start to get pretty active around then, too. And given that it’s the coldest part of the day, things can be a little more slick than expected during early spring/late fall. But I love riding that time of days—cool temps and light traffic.
I think I’m most concerned about deer.
Old Today, 02:03 PM

We start in the dark every Sat - 5:30am. Just some dependable lights and watch for the animals..... Other than that its great feeling getting done early with a big ride in the bank! Good luck~! And be able to support yourself. Bike stores/markets etc wont be open early.
Old Today, 02:08 PM
n - 1

I’m assuming that you may be starting the ride pre-dawn but the sun will be up partway through your ride. During these spring/summer days, I usually start between 5-6am. Typically, riding about 30-45 min in semi-dark. It’s nice when I’m riding in the dark, as I can see headlights coming from behind.

I have a Lezyne 1300 lumen headlight that lights up the road really well. I switch to blink when light enough.

Obviously, temp changes when the sun comes up can vary greatly as well so dress appropriately.

I love dawn patrol rides. Less traffic, less hurry to get home (from guilt), and still get to enjoy the rest of the day. It makes for a long day, but I also usually feel more accomplished those days.
Old Today, 02:27 PM

I don't know how rural an area you live in, so some of my advice is for more urban areas.

In the London winter, sunrise is 8 and sunset is 4 so almost all riding is in the dark.
Lights are obvious, and I use exposure lights front and back for main lights. These have the longest battery life from my experience. I also have a blinky for the front and run both lights in the dark.

Reflective piping makes a huge difference and the best stuff really increases your visibility to fellow drivers. It's amazing how bright even quality thin piping looks at night.

If you are near a main commuting route, I'd ride with fellow commuters. There are always a few around and roads frequented by other riders, generally mean you have a better trained commuters in their cars.

As spdntrxi wrote, sun on your back on the way home. Nothing as scaring as riding into a low sun on damp roads. Total blindness at sunrise. And the car coming up behind cannot see you.

If you are afraid of deer, angle your second light on the side on the roads and have a narrow high beam. An exposure diablo which is a mountain bike light with a more focused beam works great. You will see the deer eyes from quite a ways. I do this with the red deer in Richmond in the winter.

Otherwise, you just kinda grow into it and figure out which routes work in your area.

As for the most dangerous animal, our fellow humans, just have an airtag in your pocket so your wife can come look for you. That's what I do. As crazy as it sounds, I have seen some really crazy **** in the early mornings. I think the craziest was a man bad tripping running buck ass naked down sheen road , richmond doing sun salutations at dawn. I called the cops on that one because I did not want him to get hit by a car and killed as he was mostly a danger to himself. It was about 40 F out to boot.

Last edited by verticaldoug; Today at 02:46 PM.
Old Today, 02:34 PM

I put strips of marine solas reflective tape on my helmet and sometimes bike if it is dedicated to such an activity. It is extremely reflective and can be seen from very far away.
Old Today, 02:46 PM

Most of what's mentioned here: good lights (highly recommend a Varia for the rear) and bright clothing.

My other tip is to stick to routes that you know well and have the fewest possible hazards. When I'm riding in the dark I usually either ride laps around a nearby lake with a protected bike lane so that I'm not dealing with much traffic, or else on a mtb I ride an out and back on a trail I know well. Riding with a friend is a good idea in the woods - we've seen bears more than once, and meeting someone else helps with accountability.
Old Today, 04:04 PM

Other than pre-pre-dawn, it is probably the least amount of traffic that you can face. And a well lit cyclist is easy to see. I think it is one of the safest times to ride. So peaceful at that time of day as well, and every day starts out doing the best thing you are gonna do all day!