Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
Can anyone on here comment/compare experience with the Fuji XT-4 and the Canon R6?
I have an X-T4. Yes, the AF is... inconsistent. Past that I love it. Find a local shop and try or rent them both. I love the mechanical feel of the Fuji so maybe if you're a Di2 guy you want the canon, if you still like DA mechanical, get the Fuji.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
You fake it as soon as you shoot 1600 film and push it a stop. You fake it as soon as you scan a slide. You fake it as soon as you put any sort of filter in front of the lens. It can fairly be argued that you fake it as soon as you put anything other than a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera (film or sensor) or similar combo, since that results in about the FOV of the human eye/brain combo.

Often these are means to an admirable goal - preserving the image or memory of a place, event, or time.

It's easy to get wrapped around the axle, whether the subject is bicycles, photography, or any number of other things.
In high school I shot my friends VW bug with a homemade pinhole camera... he still has the picture to this day and the car (some 30+ years ago)

nothing fake on that one.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:54 PM

wish Fuji would do a Monochrom version of the x100… I typically have my XPro2 set to run the electronic viewfinder preview and write jpgs in their Acros B&W film simulation along with the raw files.

I haven’t used any of the current Canon stuff but I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed with an R6 or an X-T4.
My advice… find a camera shop that has them, get them in your hands and see how they feel.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Descent fitness

Somewhat tangential, but for a hobbyist photographer is there a consensus for best photo editing software with the least steep learning curve?
Coming from the film world, where I used to sell landscape shots to calendar companies, it was more about careful composition and settings prior to shooting rather than darkroom process, since I was selling Ektachrome slides to the vendors.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:25 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I have an X-T4. Yes, the AF is... inconsistent. Past that I love it. Find a local shop and try or rent them both. I love the mechanical feel of the Fuji so maybe if you're a Di2 guy you want the canon, if you still like DA mechanical, get the Fuji.
There are a few places you can rent cameras online. This one is reliable: https://www.lensrentals.com/
Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Somewhat tangential, but for a hobbyist photographer is there a consensus for best photo editing software with the least steep learning curve?
Lightroom
Old 12-09-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
wish Fuji would do a Monochrom version of the x100… I typically have my XPro2 set to run the electronic viewfinder preview and write jpgs in their Acros B&W film simulation along with the raw files.

I haven’t used any of the current Canon stuff but I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed with an R6 or an X-T4.
My advice… find a camera shop that has them, get them in your hands and see how they feel.
I do this with my Ricoh as well. A high-ish contrast screen image and jpg to go with the raw. I’m a big believer in composing the image in B/W.

And will also say that Ricoh GR is hands down my favorite camera to use ever. I also have an Olympus Pen F with a few nice lenses for lower light and fast moving kids, but even if I shot 50/50 between that and the Ricoh, the GR would probably win75% of my better shots.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Ha good way to put it. I'm definitely a Fuji / Mechanical guy.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
There are a few places you can rent cameras online. This one is reliable: https://www.lensrentals.com/
I haven't used them in years, but my previous transactions with them were smooth and professional. Recommended.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
In high school I shot my friends VW bug with a homemade pinhole camera... he still has the picture to this day and the car (some 30+ years ago)

nothing fake on that one.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
so maybe if you're a Di2 guy you want the canon, if you still like DA mechanical, get the Fuji.
Haha! I have bikes with both. But I do like Di2. I also like everything I have heard/read about the Fuji stuff, short of the AF shortcomings. Good advice about trying them; going to see about doing that.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
It can fairly be argued that you fake it as soon as you put anything other than a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera (film or sensor) or similar combo, since that results in about the FOV of the human eye/brain combo.
Not quite true. Pentax did their research back in the day and surmised that a 43mm is a greater match. I tend to agree, a 50 always feels a hair 'long' to me.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:14 AM

It's still faking it to make B&W in digital after the fact just cause the camera has already thrown out a lot of information.

B&W Film or a pure monochrome camera capture everything they can at every mm of the film or every pixel on the sensor.

A Bayer filter sensor has thrown out a very large amount of what comes into the camera to generate its idea of color and there is nothing that can ever bring that information back because the filter threw it out.

The Foveon sensor was so interesting because it worked differently. (I've never seen a Foveon camera though.)

More types of cameras that are actually fundamentally different is much more interesting than everything being the same IMO.

I would much rather actually have an IR camera instead of faking it with a filter in software too... all this stuff is just more interesting and more in the spirit of photography.

We could easily end up in a world where every single camera in the world has a Sony sensor of a similar design. How boring would that be.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:28 AM
slower than you

Not boring at all. Boring to me would be walking around with an expensive system that only results in greyscale data.

I consider digital photography collecting data. The more, the better in every click, then I take that data and make prints from them by using my digital darkroom at home. If Sony made the best sensor that also enabled an easy method of shooting (lightweight, functional gear), then, fine. Just give me that sensor with good glass, and I'll take care of the rest.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:38 PM

Was messing around with my X-Pro2 the other day and it still astonishes me that all this

fits into this Peak Design 6L Everyday Sling.