Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
The release video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y0bk6m8_is

IMO the Ornot bag is still the best burrito bag on the market but the Silca looks good if you need waterproof. I initially bristled at the price but mainly because I haven't bought luggage in a few years and actually comp shopping today, neither seems exceptionally priced.
Just watched the video.

- size (I have the small Ornot, it's a bit small at 1,1L - 2L is probably sweet spot, IMO)
- rigid / one-handed zipping

Dislikes:
- I'd prefer Voile straps on daisy chain to ultimate adjustable fit
- side/back webbing pocket (like the large Ornot) would be a nice addition

The saddlebag looks pretty good. If I didn't already have a (now discontinued) Revelate Vole, I'd consider this one.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Did Silca get bought out by private equity or something?

Just milking the last of the brand name into the grave?
He actually runs a company called Aeromind. That’s the company that did consulting with athletes.

He bought Silca. I know I’ve seen “Aeromind dba Silca” or similar on my credit card statement or on the shipping label. Old Silca did pumps, so does the new one.

Is it sort of like him Italian-washing the melt wax and all that other stuff? Maybe? But does old Silca have much brand equity among younger cyclists? I had heard of old Silca but never saw the need to own one until recently. Do current Silca fans even perceive the company as connected to Italy or to the old Silca? Either way, if he hadn’t bought Silca, I have a feeling he would have tried to do the other stuff.

I mean, he changed the brand substantially, although it still does the pumps. I have a painted one! It’s very pretty! I think most companies have their misses. Maybe the bar bag is one. That’s fine.

Milking the brand name into the grave tends to mean things like selling a company’s assets off. They still sell good pumps. Are they noticeably worse than the old ones? I guess I don’t see him doing this.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
The saddlebag looks pretty good. If I didn't already have a (now discontinued) Revelate Vole, I'd consider this one.
I agree. That saddlebag looks much better than some other options out there and unlike the bar bag, this is more appropriately priced and inline with the competition.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:49 PM
Back At It!

so I just watched the launch video from Josh.. I still think the front bag is a bit of a miss and certainly nowhere near "best in class".. the rear bag looks interesting, assuming the Boa system holds up..

I do like the straps on the bar bag being coated, I do think that would allow some more grip so the bag doesn't move around and waterproofing is always nice, if you need it.. again, my biggest issue with a bag of that price is trying to look inside of it, into a black abyss, trying to find that tool or etc you are looking for.. and, again, I have to assume there are zero inside pockets, etc since none were shown or mentioned.. I guess it could come down to what you are using a front bag for, but I use it to replace a saddle bag, so I need to, ideally, be able to have a lighter color inside and, more importantly, internal pockets and, at a minimum, a hook to clip your keys onto..

for me, I think there are better options at that price point and the same options at a lower price point..
Old 03-15-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I mean, he changed the brand substantially, although it still does the pumps. I have a painted one! It’s very pretty! I think most companies have their misses. Maybe the bar bag is one. That’s fine.

Milking the brand name into the grave tends to mean things like selling a company’s assets off. They still sell good pumps. Are they noticeably worse than the old ones? I guess I don’t see him doing this.
IIRC, the brand was more or less dead when he bought it, and now its been revitalized and continues to grow into other high quality parts.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:16 PM

This new bag is not just a cookie cutter private label slap a logo on it deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y0bk6m8_is&t=416s
Old 03-18-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

I don't understand why people slurp up his schtick. "I think it's best in category, you guys decide... I don't know." He says this in every product video. I guess some people interpret that as honesty, I just see carefully tuned marketing.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
I don't understand why people slurp up his schtick. "I think it's best in category, you guys decide... I don't know." He says this in every product video. I guess some people interpret that as honesty, I just see carefully tuned marketing.
So you're saying he's trying to sell something?

Get outa town

Last edited by charliedid; 03-19-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:22 PM

Nah...he aint selling nothing. But if people still buy/believe, now...that's REAL marketing.

Quote:
So you're saying he's try to sell something?

Get outa town
Old 03-18-2024, 09:37 PM
Back At It!

Quote:

I don't see it.. not saying it doesn't work as described, but there's nothing special about it and seems to lack some key things IMHO..
Old 03-18-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
So you're saying he's try to sell something?

Get outa town
Actually I did not. But nice try!
Old 03-18-2024, 10:14 PM
Sunshine

Quote:

I haven't really collectively taken the comments up to now as leaning towards the bag being a cookie cutter logo slapped sort of product.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:42 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I haven't really collectively taken the comments up to now as leaning towards the bag being a cookie cutter logo slapped sort of product.
maybe what he was referring to was the comments about the bag looking like 100 others available at about 1/2 the price depending.. I mean I watched the video and other than the coated straps, I just don't see a different from so many others.. the internal structure is touted, but there are several other bags that sound like the same thing.. of course, it could be when you get the bag in your hands and start using it, it might be incredible..

on a similar note, I heard Josh touting that you can open the zipper with one hand while riding.. ok, I guess, but that still seems like a pretty minor pro since the inside just seems to be a big cavern as far as we can tell from the video and pics.. so you would probably need to stop to really find something anyway.. also, since I don't think all but a few are getting paid to ride a bike on here, are you really that strapped for time on a bike you're using a bar bag for?

if you dig Silca stuff and just want the bag, go for it.. it looks like a very capable bag and, at least as good as many others.. I just don't buy it's all that I guess, for me anyway..
Old 03-19-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I don't see it.. not saying it doesn't work as described, but there's nothing special about it and seems to lack some key things IMHO..
What would you like to see different that you don't here? I'm not a fan of barrel bags at all so I am still not a customer.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I was actually under the impression that it could be just a private label deal, so it was me. As FF points out....the video speaks to the design goals of making rigid/structured bags that don't flop around and are easily operable as in the one handed front bag opening (which is not possible(or very easy) with many other bags. Also the rear not going flaccid if not full.

It appears well thought out and high quality to me....even if I am not a customer, others will be.