Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 01:37 PM

Colnago C 40 fork question

Colnago experts- I'm new to the forum, and in the process of restoring a Mapei C-40 B-Stay (I believe a Mk 3), and am getting different answers from my LBS on replacement forks. I need/am looking for a Star Carbon 1" uncut steerer tub e, but the mechanic (says he's a Colnago "expert"), swears a 1 1/8 steer tube will work. Looks like a 1" headtube to me...!?

Can anyone confirm, or even better have a line on a Star Carbon fork for sale?

Thanks, all...
Old 01-15-2021, 01:42 PM

C40 is 1in
Old 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM

1" steerer tube.

Oh, and when you find a Colnago 1" fork (either Star or Force), make sure that you also get the unique Colnago expander plug. Colnago made the carbon steerer tubes with slightly thicker walls than other brands, so none of the popular 1" expander plugs will work.

And of course the traditional metal star insert cannot be used on a carbon steerer tube.

The Colnago expander plug is NLA and very difficult to find separately...so a 1" fork with no matching expander plug is best mounted on your bookshelf...

I did talk with one builder who suggested that epoxying in a plug might be an option. Not a great option, but an alternative...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 01-15-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Colnago C 40 Fork question

Mike and C-40 Guy-

I knew it, and greatly appreciate the quick reply... Beware of anyone under 25 with a hat on sideways professing to be an expert on anything...

Glad to know there are "real" experts on the forum... Best
Old 01-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Administrator

welcome to the forum nago, we hope you'll stick around and show is that sweet C40 when it's complete.

That is funny about the mechanic, seems like a very basic thing to not know, though i guess it's been a lot of years since there have been bikes with 1" steerers, so he genuinely may have never seen one if he's new to the business.

being confident in something you dont really understand technically is a recipe for trouble in a mech's position!
Old 01-15-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That is funny about the mechanic, seems like a very basic thing to not know, though i guess it's been a lot of years since there have been bikes with 1" steerers, so he genuinely may have never seen one if he's new to the business.
And in defense of the mechanic...if he's touched 10 Colnago Star forks over the past five years, all of them may have been newer version at 1 1/8". Hence he might have assumed (wrongly) that any Colnago that would take a star would have a 1 1/8" headset.

I've got a 1" Star, a 1" Force, and a 1 1/8" Star (75?) on bikes in my stable...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-15-2021, 03:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

Yup.

Cut that young fella some slack.

This is something you can determine easily yourself by measuring your old fork or head tube.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:03 PM

C40 is 1inch fork...

C50 is 1 1/8

This is the thing now... 1 inch forks are hard to find now a days. Easton made a straight 1inch fork back years ago and that fork was fantastic.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
C40 is 1inch fork...

C50 is 1 1/8

This is the thing now... 1 inch forks are hard to find now a days. Easton made a straight 1inch fork back years ago and that fork was fantastic.
Columbus still makes the minimal in 1 inch.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 PM

I used to have a Tecnos, which also used to ship with the 1" Star, but I purchased it from France, and it came with the hometown fork--a Look 1". Model was an HSC-3, carbon steer tube.

It was a 45 Degree (the Star is a 43 degree going from memory), but the axle to crown was close to identical and the weight looked right on the bike.

It may be very hard to find a Colnago 1"--they were getting thin on the ground 10 or so years ago, when I was messing with Colnagos...

Last edited by paredown; 01-16-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:33 PM

If you need a place holder until you find the real deal, I have a 1” Profile BRC fork that was on my Mk1 C40 until I replaced it with the proper steel fork.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Yup.

Cut that young fella some slack.

This is something you can determine easily yourself by measuring your old fork or head tube.
Quote:
but the mechanic (says he's a Colnago "expert"), swears a 1 1/8 steer tube will work. Looks like a 1" headtube to me...!?
Sorry..anybody that seems to know the Colnago has a head tube for a 1 inch fork and says, "a 1 1/8inch fork will work", gets no sympathy..
Old 01-16-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sorry..anybody that seems to know the Colnago has a head tube for a 1 inch fork and says, "a 1 1/8inch fork will work", gets no sympathy..
You just need a BFH to coax it into place, right?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-16-2021, 09:26 AM

I did not want to go this way when I read it hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Old 01-16-2021, 09:30 AM

The lack of an expansion plug can be overcome. A 1 inch star nut can be ground down to slip into the tube. I use foam rubber to plug the steerer below the star nut, then thread in a long 6mm bolt with the exposed threads covered with a plastic drinking straw, then fill the entire area above the foam rubber with JB Weld epoxy. After the epoxy cures, the bolt and straw are removed.

I do the same with 1-1/8" steerers to eliminate the expansion plug. If spacers are used, set the star nut low enough so a future owner can still cut the steerer and slam the stem.