Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 12:54 PM

Ebay Payment bank account update?

Has anyone does this?
Looks like they are finally breaking up with paypal. I have received emails but am always paranoid its some sort of scam (as I have received scam coupons in the past).

Anyone tied their bank account directly to ebay? Makes me paranoid.
I have some stuff to sell. Of course i'll try here first, but the larger ebay audience can be helpful.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:02 PM

yeah I did it, because I need to sell some stuff.

I didn't like it , but PayPal was tied to my account as well.. so what's the diff. My passwords are crazy anyways.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:26 PM

To get paid, you have to have a checking account for them to deposit to, but you can pay with whatever method you want. Is what it is. We are free to not use the platforms we don't like but there are trade-offs in every direction.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:29 PM

I did it about a month ago, and have had a few sales go through the process. So far, it worked smoothly. I got an email stating what the payout would be, and then within a couple of days it was deposited into my account. If you ship through eBay, the shipping fees still come from Paypal so they aren't subtracted from your payout (at least that's how mine works).

I think I read somewhere (probably in the initial eBay notice) that one benefit is that Paypal fees aren't subtracted from the money hitting your Paypal account. I haven't compared the before/after to see if the total fees are different, but if all the other fees stayed the same this should add a few extra dimes in your pocket.

One thing I don't like as much is I liked to keep the money from sales in my Paypal and then use that for new purchases. No bottom line difference, but I felt more like I was recycling my funds as much as possible.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:33 PM

I did it and sold a lot of bike parts soon after. Ebay sends money directly to my checking account, but payments for shipping labels are still made from paypal.

I found the discounts on UPS shipping were substantial.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I did it and sold a lot of bike parts soon after. Ebay sends money directly to my checking account, but payments for shipping labels are still made from paypal.

I found the discounts on UPS shipping were substantial.
I noticed that too - huge discounts on FedEx and UPS relative to USPS.. I was only checking for relatively small packages, so not sure on the comparison to BikeFlights or ShipBikes.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:39 PM

What's the time frame between being paid for an item you sold and the funds being deposited?

I too like having the money in my PayPal acct for my fun money.

But hey, I've been buying/selling on eBay for like 25 years and at the advent of PayPal people were very against it (lots of listings with "will not accept PayPal") but now you can't live without it!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 PM

If you're paranoid about tying ebay to your bank account, open a completely new and independent bank account, and tie your ebay account to that.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:46 PM
the Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post

I think I read somewhere (probably in the initial eBay notice) that one benefit is that Paypal fees aren't subtracted from the money hitting your Paypal account. I haven't compared the before/after to see if the total fees are different, but if all the other fees stayed the same this should add a few extra dimes in your pocket.
If you check the ebay fees they now charge 12.5% so pretty much a wash.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I noticed that too - huge discounts on FedEx and UPS relative to USPS.. I was only checking for relatively small packages, so not sure on the comparison to BikeFlights or ShipBikes.
cheaper then bike flights, but has lower insurance limits. So for some stuff I still used BF, because of the insurance.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:20 PM

thanks for all the info.
Im not that paranoid i guess. though my only checking account is currently through an online bank so hopefully that works.
I guess I just had a coupon scam thing once.
And have gotten scammed selling a $200 fork (fortunately was given a heads up, but literally after I dropped item off at post office!)
and then recently got scammed through a small dollar purchase.

, all in all, it's not out of nowhere. Ebay however has always done me right, so I guess I shouldn't worry to much about trusting a checking account with them, which cant sink me.

bummer about fees though.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
If you're paranoid about tying ebay to your bank account, open a completely new and independent bank account, and tie your ebay account to that.
^ This makes perfect sense. I didn't want my ebay sales or buys to be mixed up with everything else.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:59 PM

U need to move your ebay money/ paypal money to your bank at some point... only way to do that is to link them.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:25 PM
I need you cool.

you might want to open a separate bank account just for ebay...I'll guess that since it is an online bank, it is probably free. Do they have any balance requirements? If not, do this.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:36 PM

Top Seller discount still happening? I finally am meeting the requirements again, I think. At first I thought FVF fees were getting jacked up, then I realized the 13% roughly includes (what used to be) the PP fee, so it's about the same.