Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 04:27 PM

Garmin Mounts

I’m looking to free up some space on my gravel bike handlebar and move my garmin mount over the stem. I was looking at the F3 mounts. Anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions? FYI I have a 0 degree stem.

https://www.f3cycling.com
Old 01-16-2021, 04:33 PM

not awful. but in my opinion a little flexy and the bolt that holds the cycliq under the mount was not fixed thus tricky to tighten with an allen and a separate wrench. held the garmin above beautifully. mike
Old 01-16-2021, 04:33 PM

I have gone over the stem with the barfly MTB mount.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM
Administrator

i'm kind of feeling k-edge's new stem cap mount...

Old 01-16-2021, 04:43 PM

I've read that the F3 can be a bit finicky to set up, although the inclusion of the bridge tool helps that a lot.

A lot more companies are selling integrated stems+computer mounts now. Zipp has one called the Quickview that they introduced a few months ago - looks nice, although pricey.

I'm personally using a K-Edge Combo Mount. Works great and isn't as finicky as the stem-mounted ones.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:28 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

+1 on this or the K-Edge Fixed Stem Mount

https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mou...in-stem-mount/

Old 01-17-2021, 10:30 AM

I'm a big fan of K-edge mounts and use the stem cap mount and fixed stem mount on a couple different bikes--but each has flat bars and are set up for a more upright position. It sounds nitpicky, but I tried the fixed stem mount on a drop bar bike and found the rearward position just off enough that it was kind of annoying to have to look further rearward to see the computer. With that in mind, I'd favor something like the Barfly that Joosttx posted.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:59 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I had a F3 in the past, pics below. As others have said they are a little finnicky to setup without the bridge tool. However, once installed they work great. I didn't love the look because the mount requires longer bolts and sits outside of the stem. I then moved to the Zipp version which cleaned things up even more when it replaced the entire faceplate.

That's my recommendation. I'm assuming you are running a Thomson stem at 0 degrees. If you either go with a top cap mount or find a Thomson faceplate version that has the mount built in there.

One pro of the top cap mount is that if you are running a front bar bag, the mount doesn't block access if its on the stem area compared to out front of the bars on an extended mount.

Pics:
F3:

Zipp:
Old 01-17-2021, 11:09 AM

Don't Garmin computers come with a stem mount? Both of mine did. If your stem isn't long enough to fit the stem mount, or the stem mount isn't rigid enough, the K-Edge mounts that install under the top cap are plenty rigid enough. These come in 3 versions - as above, one that locates the computer directly an top of the steerer and a one that locates the computer ahead of the steerer on a rigid arm; plus one that locates the computer ahead of the steerer on adjustble angle arm:

Old 01-17-2021, 01:53 PM

I especially like the flexibility of the F3 that's mounted on my Thomson X4 faceplate. I have it mounted in the lower two bolt holes and was able to slide the actual mount (Wahoo, in my case) closer to the stem. I then use a Quad Lock mount on top of the stem for my iPhone. Pretty streamlined look keeping the Roam and iPhone at the same level and inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
I've read that the F3 can be a bit finicky to set up, although the inclusion of the bridge tool helps that a lot.
You are correct on both counts. The bridge, which can be removed after the mount is tightened, does a great job keeping the mount aligned while tightening.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Nice, but I like the mount out a bit farther.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I tried one on my MTB and ditched it. I kept on hitting my Garmin Edge with my knees and ultimately broke an ear off of the Edge’s mount. I now use the OEM Garmin MTB mount. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/596570. The Edge sits farther forward over the stem.

Last edited by djg21; 01-17-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Tags
computer mount