Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I figured it'd be fine too with regular maintenance and being in SoCal.

@joevers - I didn't contact the shop. And I absolutely don't want it to seem like I'm badmouthing them - I'm absolutely not as they're experts and I know anti sieze should have been fine - but the shop isn't local to me so it didn't make sense to go back to them.

Before I had the tool to actually remove the BB, I removed the cranks and re-greased the bearings underneath the dust caps and the nose was still very much present. So I don't think it was the bearings. Bear in mind this was creaking from day one, when the bottom bracket was brand new.

I read that small creaks can resonate through Ti frames and sound much louder than they actually are. Unsure if there's any truth in that.

But yeah - totally silent this morning. A huge relief.

I think that the ti anti-seize would be best choice and that there probably just wasn’t enough, but I’m sure grease is fine.
I haven’t had a ti frame for a while, but creaks were tough to chase down to locate cause. I had my bike at the shop 3 times re-greasing and BB until the mechanic reinstalled the press in headset cups with ti anti-seize and it cured the creaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2021, 03:41 PM

Have had two Ti bikes for years. Have only used Park grease and plumber's tape and have never had a creak. Shimano threaded bottom brackets. Guessing you'll be fine with grease too.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
The difference between grease and anti-seize isn't going to be the difference here.
This. I also really like standard pipe dope because it's cheap and seems to hang around for ages and ages. I don't see any advantage to antiseize, particularly the high-temperature stuff people tend to associate in bikes with titanium. You really just trying to keep oxygen out of the mix, and grease will do that just as well.

For what it's worth, I see many more untoward noises from QR skewers than from BBs. They all sound like they're coming from the BB, but...
Old 01-16-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
This. I also really like standard pipe dope because it's cheap and seems to hang around for ages and ages. I don't see any advantage to antiseize, particularly the high-temperature stuff people tend to associate in bikes with titanium. You really just trying to keep oxygen out of the mix, and grease will do that just as well.

For what it's worth, I see many more untoward noises from QR skewers than from BBs. They all sound like they're coming from the BB, but...
My experience with QR's also. Could swear that creaking noise was coming from BB, but changed out QR, replaced with metal Record one, and creaking was gone.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:26 PM

Totally with you on the QR front, however I was almost 100% sure it was the cranks or BB as, other than the headset and seatpost, they are the ONLY part from the original build that remained. Entire group has been swapped out, numerous sets of wheels with different QR skewers, tyres and even fork were all changed.

Anyway, looks like this one has been answered. So, as always, thanks for the advice PL!
Old 01-16-2021, 06:16 PM

Phil Wood

I used Phil Wood grease when I install BB's and headset cups on titanium frames.

A while ago Justin at Black Oak Cycles said he does that- So I started. It has never let me down.
I would imagine that he has done more pro builds than most.

I only use anti-seize in the seat tube when using an aluminum or titanium seatpost (on a metal bike).
Old 01-17-2021, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

As has been mentioned, a good grease will do the same thing as antisieze..prevent it from getting stuck together. Even when using antisieze, you should still take apart, clean and lube periodically. Sometimes with anti-iseze, not a lot is used...doesn't work as well as good grease for creaks.
Quote:
The threads, while having some anti sieze on them, looked almost dry.
I'm not a fan of antisieze with BBs/cups..Depending on the design, antisieze 'can' migrate to the bearings, killing them dead..I use good grease.