Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 05:03 PM

It had to happen eventually.......

So, I retired an old 'cross bike that had TRP CX9 brakes and scored a nice C'Dale SuperX with discs. I have no bikes with disc brakes........ and thus have little knowledge on parts and stuff. Bike needs a good servicing, and was going to do new pads, bleed etc. Any recommendations on pads? Brakes are SRAM Rival, and bike will get a mix of uses including road in foul weather, and with a set of 650B wheels for some gravel exploring. TIA.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 PM

Swiss Stop makes the best aftermarket pads. The RS model is my favorite but they make a couple with different goals. Dead silent with great modulation and decent pad life. They are kind of pricey though. If you have money and have complaints about the stock pads, these are what I recommend always.

Jagwire semi metallic pads are just okay but they're really affordable and have good wear life. That's what the customers that aren't picky get. I bring a pair or two to cross race weekends.

They don't modulate as well as the stock Sram pads, which are actually pretty decent but have a pretty comparatively short life span. Not the best deal unless you're a fairweather rider, in which case they're great.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Swiss Stop makes the best aftermarket pads. The RS model is my favorite but they make a couple with different goals. Dead silent with great modulation and decent pad life. They are kind of pricey though. If you have money and have complaints about the stock pads, these are what I recommend always.

Jagwire semi metallic pads are just okay but they're really affordable and have good wear life. That's what the customers that aren't picky get. I bring a pair or two to cross race weekends.

They don't modulate as well as the stock Sram pads, which are actually pretty decent but have a pretty comparatively short life span. Not the best deal unless you're a fairweather rider, in which case they're great.
Thanks for the info.....
Old 01-16-2021, 07:54 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
So, I retired an old 'cross bike that had TRP CX9 brakes and scored a nice C'Dale SuperX with discs. I have no bikes with disc brakes........ and thus have little knowledge on parts and stuff. Bike needs a good servicing, and was going to do new pads, bleed etc. Any recommendations on pads? Brakes are SRAM Rival, and bike will get a mix of uses including road in foul weather, and with a set of 650B wheels for some gravel exploring. TIA.
First recommendation is the same with all SRAM braked bikes: Shimano.

While I haven't seen as many issues with the newest gen of brakes, SRAM doesn't have a good track record in that area

After that: get a good brake bleed kit with nice syringes.

IIRC Super-X bikes have the offset rear wheel. Be careful what wheels you buy

HTH

M