Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2021, 11:09 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Can it be.....is it possible with a 130 back end?
First two steps in the manufacturing process for the cogs:

Old 10-16-2021, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That might be enough. The cost of the time to run the wires (even in the factory) isn't zero. Add to that the cost of the wires themselves plus the weatherproof connectors. In the end, the installed cost of a wireless system might end up being lower than a wired system.
BUT, why then, is sram red etap SO expensive?
2 electric 'switches' in levers, 2 ders, some batteries..all made in Asia. I think sram, like ford trucks, is making a KILLING on their electric stuff.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-16-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I don't get the wireless gig at all. Except for setup/initial bike build, there is very few(none?) advantages to wireless. Vast majority of wireless builds are via OEM..I guess the lizards who assemble the bikes like it but....

Pretty funny..Campagnolo sells every group and wheel they make.
I would say that the SRAM e-Tap shifting system works well and the idea that you really never need to change cables or do much of anything except charge it has value. There are also shifting options that mechanical options don't offer and the clean look is all the range.

With that said, SRAM disc brakes are terrible. Just terrible. And I would never run SRAM just for that reason.

For Campag, they should do what makes them money but if the entire industry is dumping cables, they should follow suit.

Last edited by vespasianus; 10-16-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:18 AM
Vendor

Some interesting ideas mentioned here....
Old 10-16-2021, 08:22 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I would say that the SRAM e-Tap shifting system works well and the idea that you really never need to change cables or do much of anything except charge it has value. There are also shifting options that mechanical options don't offer and the clean look is all the range.

With that said, SRAM disc brakes are terrible. Just terrible. And I would never run SRAM just for that reason.

For Campag, they should do what makes them money but if the entire industry is dumping cables, they should follow suit.
This is far from accurate. Shimano has 27 groups, and only 6 are Di2. SRAM has 26 groups and 6 AXS/Etap. Campy has the least with 5 and 1 EPS.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don't get the wireless gig at all. Except for setup/initial bike build, there is very few(none?) advantages to wireless. Vast majority of wireless builds are via OEM..I guess the lizards who assemble the bikes like it but....
Another nice thing about wireless is it works on every bike. It doesn't require special ports in the frame. It doesn't require a clear pathway through the bottom bracket and chainstays (particularly with many metal frames using chainstay yokes/plates for more tire clearance). It doesn't require special handlebars or a clunky external junction box.

So wireless doesn't just save the time running the wires, it also makes the frame design and fabrication simpler.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Another nice thing about wireless is it works on every bike. It doesn't require special ports in the frame. It doesn't require a clear pathway through the bottom bracket and chainstays (particularly with many metal frames using chainstay yokes/plates for more tire clearance). It doesn't require special handlebars or a clunky external junction box.

So wireless doesn't just save the time running the wires, it also makes the frame design and fabrication simpler.
And cheaper although that isn’t passed onto the end user. Plus…get that etap bike, love the frame but hate the shifting(?), more common than you might guess…sorry Charlie, if ya don’t like the group, sell the bike and start over.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Vendor

Quote:
And cheaper although that isn’t passed onto the end user. Plus…get that etap bike, love the frame but hate the shifting(?), more common than you might guess…sorry Charlie, if ya don’t like the group, sell the bike and start over.
It's funny you say this. I just had a custom Bixxis made and it has all 3 things I hate- Enve, SRAM and Chris King. And since it's an AXS/Etap bike, I can't put anything else on it. So the bike will just sit here never getting used.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It's funny you say this. I just had a custom Bixxis made and it has all 3 things I hate- Enve, SRAM and Chris King. And since it's an AXS/Etap bike, I can't put anything else on it. So the bike will just sit here never getting used.
Out of curiosity, is there any good alternative to Chris King headsets? 44mm straight headtube, 1.5 - 1 1/8 tapered steerer, so I was planning CK i7, but will be happy to learn what else can have similar quality.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkypl View Post
Out of curiosity, is there any good alternative to Chris King headsets? 44mm straight headtube, 1.5 - 1 1/8 tapered steerer, so I was planning CK i7, but will be happy to learn what else can have similar quality.
Cane Creek and White Industries both make great headsets.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:11 PM

12 Speed Centaur mechanical

would sell like hot cakes. The Chorus 12 shifters are basically Centaur level already, so are the brakes (TRP)

Price it cheaper than 12 speed Shimano Ultegra

I want no part in electric shifting, or watches.

Last edited by dana_e; 10-16-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkypl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Cane Creek and White Industries both make great headsets.

Cane Creek 110
White Industries
Hope
Ritchey
FSA
ACS
Wolf Tooth

The first two I would use in a second over a King. Big fan of Cane Creek since they offer a ton of options and they do a short and tall cover to avoid excessive spacers.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
would sell like hot cakes. The Chorus 12 shifters are basically Centaur level already, so are the brakes (TRP)

Price it cheaper than 12 speed Shimano Ultegra

I want no part in electric shifting, or watches.
Chorus shifter innards are nothing like Centaur. Ultra shift vs Powershift. Chorus innards identical to SR and Record. Both Chorus and Record shifter assemblies EC-RE-400..RE-'Record'

No doubt Centaur is in line to be 12s..No reason not to..pretty easy to make the shifters 12s, even if they are 'PowerShift'...easy 10->11s..easy11s->12s

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-17-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:46 PM

Correct

I was thinking lever blades not being carbon, forgot about shifting mech, which is a real plus feature in comparison
Old 10-17-2021, 02:27 PM
Vendor

For the life of me I cannot see a truly substantial benefit to the end user for wireless other than if it's on a travel bike.

Sure, perhaps for people building bikes, but for the rider. Once you have the cables mounted, you essentially do nothing to the system but turn a barrel adjuster very infrequently.

With wireless, it's another device you need to charge (which admittedly isn't often)... and with SRAM it's a derailleur you have to kick every so often to make it work.

Of all the most recent "upgrades/trends" Discs, Thru axles, Clutches, Gravel bikes, Increased tire clearance... Wireless is the one that seems the most a solution looking for a problem.