Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Has anyone cross shopped ECM and Rocket machines?

Thoughts on the following two heat exchanger / rotary pump machines:
Rocket Mozzafiato R
ECM Technika V Profi

Close in price, some asthetic differences etc
We've had an ECM Classika single boiler for about 6 years now. We haven't had any issues with it, very well built. When doing the research back then, the ECM's seemed internally better designed. The plumbing and materials were well thought out compared to other brands. The water tank also had the no drip feed at the bottom vs some of the others that had two tubes that came in from the top.

We really like ours. I was a bit skeptical about an espresso machine due to the upfront cost and not sure how long it would last. Before buying, we did a cost calculation of how much we were spending weekly on our morning ritual (typical weekday morning coffee shop runs and weekend drip coffee at home). The calc showed around 3.5 years to pay for machine and grinder (grinder also ECM), vs our typical coffee spending. When Covid hit, I was so glad to have made the purchase. It runs on a smart timer and comes on everyday for 4 hours. We keep the used coffee pucks, which end up in our compost and p-patch garden. We have a rotating single origin subscription from Camber Coffee out of Bellingham, WA (2 weeks, 2lb bag, two people). All-in-all I wish we would have purchased it sooner. It's lasted longer than any other coffee maker we've ever had, especially since it's in use everyday. Small parts are also replaceable. Just like Campy 10 speed!... haven't had to buy any replacement parts yet though.

Whichever brand you buy, you won't regret it. I understand they are all made in the same Italian factories.

Last edited by Erikg; 03-02-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I get that. Also consider Lelit? My dad went from a Bianca X to a Decent and he doesn't regret it... but he did like the Bianca a lot. Particularly its flow control. I get the looks thing of the Decent. Not for everyone. If I was spending as much as you're considering I'd definitely want flow control, though? Looks like WLL will fit an e61 flow control knob for free to machines in your price range, but I'm guessing you'd be ordering from a Canadian retailer?
Yup would be buying from a Canadian retailer. If I got the ECM, I'd get it through 'idrinkcoffee.com'. The Rocket would come from one of a few different retailers. The ECM can be had with the flo control I think.
Is the flo control that big of a game changer? That much better than just doing a bit of pre-infusion if desired?
The Lelit looks like a nice machine too, but I think strictly just personal pref, I'd prob go with the Rocket or ECM for looks.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:34 PM

Personal preference I guess. I come from manual espresso so being able to choose exactly how I make a shot is all I know. I.e. 3 bar pre, 9 bar main, declining pressure finish.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Has anyone cross shopped ECM and Rocket machines?

Thoughts on the following two heat exchanger / rotary pump machines:
Rocket Mozzafiato R
ECM Technika V Profi

Close in price, some asthetic differences etc
I did a few years ago, and ended up buying the dual-boiler ECM (Synkronika, IIRC), and it has been nothing but a dream for 3 years.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yup would be buying from a Canadian retailer. If I got the ECM, I'd get it through 'idrinkcoffee.com'. The Rocket would come from one of a few different retailers. The ECM can be had with the flo control I think.
Is the flo control that big of a game changer? That much better than just doing a bit of pre-infusion if desired?
The Lelit looks like a nice machine too, but I think strictly just personal pref, I'd prob go with the Rocket or ECM for looks.
Not a game changer, but worthwhile. You can profile if you want, and you can often save a shot if the grind or tamp wasn't optimal for the day's conditions.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Not a game changer, but worthwhile. You can profile if you want, and you can often save a shot if the grind or tamp wasn't optimal for the day's conditions.
For what it costs (I think it was either free or an extra $50) flow control is totally worth it.

I've even pulled some decent shots out of way too old beans in emergencies with it.

Last edited by jdanton; 03-04-2024 at 08:16 PM. Reason: shots

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso