Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 AM
VAV

OT: Prague / Pilsen

Hi all, calling to the forum wisdom. Going to be in Prague for 5 days in the summer and maybe if we have time I'd like to squeeze a day trip to Pilsen.
My question(s): Are there other interesting things to do around for my wife and 2 girls that could care less about beer how can they?

Should we even bother and just stay in Prague all 5 days?

Tips and must do are welcome folks. Thanks in advance.

ps. I am arriving by train from Berlin (6 days there) so since we are at it, feel free to throw Berlin's best this way too. Gracias again
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 AM

I spent a number of days there a few years back for my brother's wedding. I'll put together some highlights (his wife is Czech) and send you a PM later today.

Prague is a wonderful and beautiful city. With lots to explore and see.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 03-24-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM

If you head towards budweis, a few hours by train away, go check out a tiny village called Czesky Krumlov...well worth an overnight if you can...just a gorgeous and wonderful place...I used to go stay there for weeks when I lived in Europe...it was that cool...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 PM

I went on a tour of the Budvar brewery with a school group once. That was pretty fun. One of the weirder places in Prague is Cafe Imperial. It has a really unique interior. Totally bizarre!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 PM

I took my family to Prague for a week a couple of years ago and had a great time. There is plenty there to keep you busy for 5 days. We did a day trip to Dresden by train. I looked into day trips to Pilzn and a couple of other places but decided it would be too much effort without a car I.e. train, bus transfers etc. and time was better spent exploring Prague. The Dresden trip was very simple and a pretty train ride, although you’ll likely be taking the same train in from Berlin.

The beer in Czech Republic is really good and literally cheaper than water.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 AM

prague air b n b

we were there in august with my daughter and loved it. do an air b and b search for "charming apartment charles bridge". it was a wonderful location, clean, spacious and the hosts marnin and adriana were awesome. steep 3 story spiral staircase but i had a 21 year old to carry my luggage. out 1 window was saint nicholas cathedral and out another was the us embassy. around the corner and up the hill to the palace. just outside 50 yards was a main tram point. i dont remember the restaurants but the food was excellent and the exchange rate favorable. mike
Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM

Last time in Prague I went to a beer store called base camp. They had a great small craft local beer collection. Completely changed my opinion of the slightly boring pilsners or dark malty brews typically found in Czech.

U Studánky 253/27, 170 00 Praha 7, Czechia
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM

The Pilzen brewery is great because you can try unfiltered, unpasteurized versions of the beer, which only stay fresh for a few days. The soft water is the secret to the beer, and the saaz hops they use don't taste the same anywhere else. I love Prague but the downtown core is a bit too full of wild drunken English stag-dos and is expensive relative to the rest of the country. I really recommend Brno in the east. I went to uni there for a summer and fell in love. On my way back to my residence every day I passed a brewery with $0.50 half liters and these amazing sunflower seed oil crisps with a wonderful sundrenched patio. Became my study spot of choice that summer.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Just got back from Brno, as above, consider it, cheaper and very nice.. I've been to Prague and it's beautiful as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Everything is connected

Our daughter spent a semester there three years ago and we visited her for 7 days while she was in school. Prague is a very interesting city in terms of history, has great lodging, it's easy to navigate and it's not expensive. These guide books were very helpful in planning our trip and of course, she was a great guide as well. Take a good camera.