Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 PM

give them the best advice you can

and then let them go to an LBS and get sold something the shop wants to sell them.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
i have trouble with this too. people see my hobby is building nice bikes and want me to figure everything out for them. i usually explain my POV and give some suggestions but 9/10 times they go to a random bike store and get whatever catches their eye, completely disregarding my advice.

i don't know what's "wrong" with my responses but i am not very good at convincing people what to get.

maybe it's the ego side of me but i want to keep trying and changing things in my explanations to see if i can get better at being more captivating. there is often a comment like "oh well you care so much about all these things and i just want a bike that can do X." it's frustrating how the attitude moves from "you're the expert" to "ehh i don't really care about this really and adam has a nerdy/obsessive sensibility that doesn't align with my attitude".

i think it's also a function of who the person is who's asking you. is it a coworker or your nephew? i could imagine the responses being different depending on how invested you are in the person.
Don't take it personally. You're doing you're best to help someone who is never going to have your knowledge or needs. Let them go to a LBS that will fit their needs, if they aren't happy-you didn't sell them the bike.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I tell them I wouldn't consider a bike under $2k.

That usually does the trick.

If not...I've got a new pal.
Ha ha. I just did that exact thing tonight. I don’t think he’ll be asking me to help shop for a bike.

To the OP: I’ve spend so many hours over the years researching and scanning the local listings for friends, neighbors and family. Hey, I want the deal of a lifetime, in the right color, spec, and all within a 2 mile radius. The few that have bought bikes, they want me to service everything from derailer adjustments to flat tires. I direct them to the local shop now.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Winter must be coming, y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy grumpuses! Setting boundaries and saying no with respect and grace is a skill worth learning. On the other hand, think of a request for help by a bike newbie as an opportunity to give something back to "the sport" that we love. I helped a neighbor with a bike purchase, helping her sort out what she wanted, pointed her to a couple of shops for road bike test rides, then helped search Craigslist when the sticker shock hit. We found an aluminum Trek Madone with 10sp Sram Force for $700 that was just perfect. She was thrilled and is now commuting every day 16mi RT and rides most weekends, and a year later finally got the courage to install clipless pedals. Seeing her so happy with a bike (a Mom with a couple of young kids and a stressful job- she NEEDED a bike) makes me happy.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:48 PM

Winter must be coming, y'all sound like a bunch of grumpy grumpuses! Setting boundaries and saying no with respect and grace is a skill worth learning. On the other hand, think of a request for help by a bike newbie as an opportunity to give something back to "the sport" that we love. I helped a neighbor with a bike purchase, helping her sort out what she wanted, pointed her to a couple of shops for road bike test rides, then helped search Craigslist when the sticker shock hit. We found an aluminum Trek Madone with 10sp Sram Force for $700 that was just perfect. She was thrilled and is now commuting every day 16mi RT and rides most weekends, and a year later finally got the courage to install clipless pedals. Seeing her so happy with a bike (a Mom with a couple of young kids and a stressful job- she NEEDED a bike) makes me happy.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
This may have been covered somewhere but my search did not find it so apologies if it's redundant.

I get requests a few times a year because I am a "bike expert". Sharon says she wants to get a bike for her daughter, what should she buy. Larry brings me his 1989 xyz that he left outside for six months and wants it "tuned up". I tell him he needs a new bike.

I first tell them, how much $$ do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want. These people mean well but just don't realize they are asking me to be their personal shopper and research the heck out of the market to find them something for little Joannie to ride, for cheap. Of course there is the usual situation where you find the perfect xyz for them and they say, nope, wrong color.

15 years ago I might have been eager to help since I learned something as well. Now I just want to say, you have heard of Google right? Or something even more rude. I think the answer may be, sorry but I just don't have any free time. RANT OVER.

What's your answer?
Politely decline. Not sure what the issue is. For repairs, if you'd like to tackle it, give them an estimate of what it will be, be pessimistic, and let them decide. If you don't want to tackle it, point them to a competent LBS.
BUT,
Quote:
or something more rude
What's the point of that?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 AM

I sincerely believe that if given a chance the bicycle will save the planet.

I am not being hyperbolic.

And as such, those of us that love and believe in bicycles must be ambassadors.

Patience and humor
Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Politely decline. Not sure what the issue is. For repairs, if you'd like to tackle it, give them an estimate of what it will be, be pessimistic, and let them decide. If you don't want to tackle it, point them to a competent LBS.
BUT,
What's the point of that?
I think "rude" was a poor choice of words. Someone posted that it depends on who you are dealing with whether it's a relative, friend, co-worker etc and some good advice has been given. The person asking is a friend that I don't see often so politely declining is an option.
I am so laid back and want to be helpful that if I was offering close to zero advice I might think myself rude in that respect. Setting boundaries= good plan.

I have offered the advice of, how much do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want? I think the answer will be a "fitness bike" or a race type bike but NO drop bars. Plenty of options out there.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:18 AM

To add to all of the good advice already posted, when asked this I also chime in about watching a few videos on YouTube on bicycle safety. It's not just a matter of getting a helmet, it's about being safe wherever they ride.

Honestly, when someone wants to get a bike, other than sharing my enthusiasm, I worry about them wrecking and then leaving the sport entirely!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Picshooter

I send them to my LBS. Last one I sent came back to tell me how pleased she was. After answering the usual questions, what do you plan to do with your bike, etc, he sold her, get this, A new pair of wide slick tires to replace the knobbies she was riding on the road.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
To add to all of the good advice already posted, when asked this I also chime in about watching a few videos on YouTube on bicycle safety. It's not just a matter of getting a helmet, it's about being safe wherever they ride.

Honestly, when someone wants to get a bike, other than sharing my enthusiasm, I worry about them wrecking and then leaving the sport entirely!

You bring up an excellent point!!

Thinking out loud...what would be some ways to facilitate this beyond encouraging the videos.

For helmet safety maybe the purchase of a bike could require the purchase of a helmet or proof they own one. I realize it’s a choice to wear one when out in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 AM

I offer my advice, they ignore it, I smile and say what they bought looks nice.

In this vein, I have a friend looking at buying his first custom, and his first non-carbon bike. He wanted advice on builders, what I think is important when choosing one...etc. He seemed to be ignoring everything I said at first, but now he seems to be coming around. I think he's going to end up with Bishop, which is certainly a solid choice.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM

As for repairs - I don't like doing my own bike maintenance work and tell people I'm not great at it only adequate. People usually respect that - it's maybe a little self deprecating but lowers peoples expectations
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 AM

i always help the people buy a bike thats right for them, because i love bikes and people riding them. i stare at bikes all the time, why not put that to use?

now im even looking into acquiring tandems to take folks who cant ride solo n rides. a buddy of mine took a blind guy for his first ride in over 20 years this weekend on his tandem.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 AM
bourbon!

If someone tells me they want to buy a bike, I discuss their needs and wants and then offer to go to the LBS with them. I also explain that there are bikes from $100 to $10000 and that I'd be happy to try and explain the differences. Once we get to the LBS, which is rare, we find a salesman and at that point I mostly just stand there and listen. Occasionally I will point something out or make a clarification, but generally it's on them to decide. I'm just an advisor. It's their bike afterall.