Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 PM

How do you handle people that want help buying a bike?

This may have been covered somewhere but my search did not find it so apologies if it's redundant.

I get requests a few times a year because I am a "bike expert". Sharon says she wants to get a bike for her daughter, what should she buy. Larry brings me his 1989 xyz that he left outside for six months and wants it "tuned up". I tell him he needs a new bike.

I first tell them, how much $$ do you want to spend and what style of bike do you want. These people mean well but just don't realize they are asking me to be their personal shopper and research the heck out of the market to find them something for little Joannie to ride, for cheap. Of course there is the usual situation where you find the perfect xyz for them and they say, nope, wrong color.

15 years ago I might have been eager to help since I learned something as well. Now I just want to say, you have heard of Google right? Or something even more rude. I think the answer may be, sorry but I just don't have any free time. RANT OVER.

What's your answer?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:01 PM

I don't get asked much about buying new stuff, but from time to time the neighbor's kid brings his bike over for repairs, and few things in my life give me more satisfaction.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:07 PM

My advice

I’ve given up trying to help friends buy bikes that I think are right for them and their styles of riding. Now, I just try to figure out what they want me to say and then encourage their choice. “Sure, that $200 Walmart bike is so much better than that $1500 Rivendell. It’s much faster and a nicer color.” It’s what they want to hear and maybe they’ll actually ride.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 PM
ferro verum est

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerckxMad View Post
I’ve given up trying to help friends buy bikes that I think are right for them and their styles of riding. Now, I just try to figure out what they want me to say and then encourage their choice. “Sure, that $200 Walmart bike is so much better than that $1500 Rivendell. It’s much faster and a nicer color.” It’s what they want to hear and maybe they’ll actually ride.
Well since we're talking Rivendells I'd argue it's not much better than a $900 Cross Check

Realistically I went through this recently–trying to justify for a non-racer why it's worth it to get a new bike with 105 over one with Sora or Tiagra (let's not talk about Claris) is very difficult. Especially since those 9/10sp parts are cheaper and probably more long-lasting.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Do you have a good local bike shop? While I never buy new bikes my local shop is great at getting people on the right bikes, size and type. I just tell them to let shop know I sent them. It’s a win win all around, shop gets new customers and friends get the right bikes and shop fixes my bikes as soon as I drop them off Easy...
Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 PM

I steer people to local shops now, it's just not fun getting sent 20 craigslist posts for Schwinn varsities any more haha. If they can't afford a new bike then I suggest a nonprofit co-op nearby with used bikes. Or sell them one of mine!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 PM

Listen to what they want to do with the bike and then point them to one bike that checks the boxes and that is easy to get.

When a person comes to me and asks what FS MTB I should get for Marin riding I say a Santa Cruz Blur with sram GX or better components. There are other bikes they could buy as good but SC Blurr is easy to get here and checks all the boxes.

What usually happens is the salesman at the bikeshop will try and sell something different. I know two guys who went into a bike shop planning to buy a Blur and one ended with a Bronson and the other a 27+ hardtail. Both horrible bikes for 40 year old dads to ride on fire roads to go uphill.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-10-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:29 PM

I get asked this occasionally which kinda makes me giggle as I am CLEARLY not an expert nor play one on TV or this forum....

I start by asking a couple of basic questions...(picture a Visio diagram in my head)

What are your goals or usage for this bike purchase? How are you going to use the bike? And do you have a budget? Depending on those basic questions part of me is on the look out for potential new recruits for “the cycling tribe”

Most often I’m connecting them with my LBS....and really what I think is going on for most people is they could be intimidated...maybe they have never gone to a bike shop...they may just need a little hand holding....and that is an easy way to support the person asking for help/assistance with a win for the LBS.

Quick answer is I listen and connect and your friends will appreciate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Smile I love it

I have helped many people over the years
But I like to talk about everything
bike related
I truly enjoy every minute!!!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Do you have a good local bike shop? While I never buy new bikes my local shop is great at getting people on the right bikes, size and type. I just tell them to let shop know I sent them. It’s a win win all around, shop gets new customers and friends get the right bikes and shop fixes my bikes as soon as I drop them off Easy...
I agree. We are lucky to have California Bicycles AND UC Cyclery in La Jolla. They both carry nice inventories of various styles of bikes and have knowledgable sales staffs and good mechanics so besides getting good help choosing a bike you will know it was assembled properly.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

I ask them what they want to do-road ride, commute, mountain bike, ride with the kids ? We're lucky that there are several good shops in town. I then send them to the shop that will most likely have what they are looking for. If they really want me to join them I will-it has prevented some friends from buying a wildly inappropriate bike for their needs.
These days if they don't really like what I have to say I don't take it personally.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Ask their budget and riding goals. Then steer them to something used with 105 or better components while reminding them that they will eventually want a helmet, shoes, shorts, etc, It's not just a bike!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Small ring

I tell them I wouldn't consider a bike under $2k.

That usually does the trick.

If not...I've got a new pal.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 PM

i have trouble with this too. people see my hobby is building nice bikes and want me to figure everything out for them. i usually explain my POV and give some suggestions but 9/10 times they go to a random bike store and get whatever catches their eye, completely disregarding my advice.

i don't know what's "wrong" with my responses but i am not very good at convincing people what to get.

maybe it's the ego side of me but i want to keep trying and changing things in my explanations to see if i can get better at being more captivating. there is often a comment like "oh well you care so much about all these things and i just want a bike that can do X." it's frustrating how the attitude moves from "you're the expert" to "ehh i don't really care about this really and adam has a nerdy/obsessive sensibility that doesn't align with my attitude".

i think it's also a function of who the person is who's asking you. is it a coworker or your nephew? i could imagine the responses being different depending on how invested you are in the person.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 PM

I see no reason to turn people away if they view me as the expert.

You DO however, have to be part psychologist, part salesman. If you recognize the signs they are going to be an indecisive PITA, then gracefully "admit" your lack of ability to help them and pass them off to a local bike shop so the salespeople THERE can endure the pain.

Otherwise, your job is to explain their options, the pros and cons of the technology, and let THEM make the choices. That way they can't blame you if they don't like their purchase.