Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
I don't think the difficulty of riding up the hill should merit the inclusion. If it's that then the people doing it on a hybrid deserve more credit versus peeps on expensive road bikes. And someone 50 pounds overweight deserves more credit than the athletic group ride. Someone on commuter tires is working harder too, so is someone not on Dura Ace or Record I guess. 2 wheels, crappy cars, it's a "we." I am very cool with e-bikes just not for me yet.
This is a very intelligent critique. That's a very legitimate point. Part of why I was caught off guard is that I rarely see ebikes on the hills I ride. Perhaps that will be much more commonplace in the future.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
ebikers are us. IMO. That is what I am trying to inculcate err more correctly be inclusive.
You'll need to translate this.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
You'll need to translate this.
I notice you used them SAT words incorrectly in a couple of your posts. I was just trying to be more exact and true to the definition of "inculcate". You know, "I am trying to inculcate inclusiveness" is more true to its definition than "I am trying to inculcate ebikers are us." Probably just splitting hairs here. But what do I know, no one has ever called me a wordsmith.

My point is be nice to people on the road. Even more importantly be empathetic. The dude is probably feeling a little insecure he is on an ebike and I assume you and your bros are all kitted out. He's probably judging you (and any person). Being friendly and opening with a positive statement is likely to break that stereotyping judgment we can all naturally have about people. Being blind to everything other than a person is human is a great way to start inclusive behavior.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-10-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Bottom line: I don’t know how old you are but I guarantee if you love cycling one day you will be on an e-bike whether it is to keep up with your kids or make that climb that you love and now no longer can make. Until then try to avoid riding two wide.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I notice you used them SAT words incorrectly in a couple of your posts. I was just trying to be more exact and true to the definition of "inculcate". You know, "I am trying to inculcate inclusiveness" is more true to its definition than "I am trying to inculcate ebikers are us." Probably just splitting hairs here. But what do I know, no one has ever called me a wordsmith.

My point is be nice to people on the road. Even more importantly be empathetic. The dude is probably feeling a little insure that he is on an ebike and I assume you and your bros are all kitted out. He's probably judging you (and any person). Being friendly and opening with a positive statement is likely to break that stereotyping judgment we can all naturally have about people. Be aware blind to everything other than a person is human is a great way to start inclusive behavior.
No, "my bros" were not all kitted out, and FWIW there was a women cycling with us too. Just another example of your leap to judgement. Again: READ THE POST. Empathy lessons from a guy who recently railed against "fat" cyclists. Rich.

I'll just send you a Cliffs Notes version of my posts beforehand. That should solve a lot of things.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
No, "my bros" were not all kitted out, and FWIW there was a women cycling with us too. Just another example of your leap to judgement. Again: READ THE POST. Empathy lessons from a guy who recently railed against "fat" cyclists. Rich.

I'll just send you a Cliffs Notes version of my posts beforehand. That should solve a lot of things.
Sorry, I assume you guys were in kits. I should of used cycling "buddies" instead of "bros" too. I am sorry I assumed that you guys were in kits and used a masculine descriptor.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:26 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
I mean, “we” climbing a hill? No. We getting buzzed by a car? Ok. I can see the we here as “we vulnerable forms of traffic”.

Climbing a hill, a "we" to that, too.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
This is true. I've never ridden an ebike. I'm also completely unaccustomed to seeing them on my daily rides. There is nothing derogatory about the cyclist in my post. Af far my wondering about the "we" part of it, I think it's a perfectly valid conversation to have.
I agree with you. ebikes are new to most of us and many of us have still never even seen one in the flesh, let along ridden alongside one. I think you've gotten some good response here and given us all an opportunity to really decide what we think of them and how to view them. Personally, I think if I were riding one and tried to join a group of organized riders where I was the ONLY one on an ebike...I'd feel a bit like an interloper. But that's just ME.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 AM
VAV

"eBiker uses the word "we" among a group of cyclists. Awkward silence ensues..."

Man, here I am looking at this straight from "The Onion" title thread and thinking this was going to be a gender/binary/pronoun discussion
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM

I've been kinda considering an ebike for an mtb, because motorcycle dirt access is basically nonexistent in my area and I like the speed and distance factors

If you haven't had the opportunity to ride one in the woods, give it a try. It's so much fun it should be illegal

Last edited by peanutgallery; 11-11-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Was he on two wheels? Was he passed too close by a car? Of course "we" was warranted.
Big, it depends. There are at least 2 here in the republic, who ride electric scooters, yup, they have 'pedals' where they put their feet, and actually 'pedal' for a few feet, then stop pedaling and accelerate up to about 20-23 mph, on bike lane. They aren't 'bicycles', but scooters and should stay outta the bike lane...the last one I saw also ran a red light...big sigh.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I've been kinda considering an ebike for an mtb, because motorcycle dirt access is basically nonexistent in my area and I like the speed and distance factors

If you haven't had the opportunity to ride one in the woods, give it a try. It's so much fun it should be illegal
I considered it too but instead I got a more conventional full suspension mtb. I'm still excited by them though. I was mostly looking at the offerings of Specialized as they seem to have the best looking,designed realistic integration of an electric motor into a bicycle. I did consider Giant's as well but this is where I hit a wall. The Giant dealer said he doesn't want to sell them because he foreseen warranty/service issues as a nightmare. Also he went into a lengthy chat describing our local single track riding conditions as well as stating the obvious. That ebikes are a good 20 pounds heavier. That extra weight maybe hidden going uphill but going down hill or bunnyhops, jumps it's more evident. Also the local Spesh dealer has one on their showroom floor, pretty bike but it cost like 8k. I dunno what to say except I grew up loving to ride dirtbikes and I could get a decent used one for at least half that price and trailor it to a proper venue to ride it. Still have money left over for a decent new mtb. which I already have
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Big, it depends. There are at least 2 here in the republic, who ride electric scooters, yup, they have 'pedals' where they put their feet, and actually 'pedal' for a few feet, then stop pedaling and accelerate up to about 20-23 mph, on bike lane. They aren't 'bicycles', but scooters and should stay outta the bike lane...the last one I saw also ran a red light...big sigh.
I see what your saying but I dunno because from a car drivers POV if you on a scooter all maxed out for speed and the car can overtake you then by law at least here in MA. the scooter has to yield the right of way to the car. Of course that may mean if there is a bike lane that the scooter is obliged to take it for the car to safely pass.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I see what your saying but I dunno because from a car drivers POV if you on a scooter all maxed out for speed and the car can overtake you then by law at least here in MA. the scooter has to yield the right of way to the car. Of course that may mean if there is a bike lane that the scooter is obliged to take it for the car to safely pass.
Here, 'motorized vehicles' are not allowed in the bike lane. An electric assist bike isn't a 'motorized vehicle'...if that 49cc scooter or electric scooter can't be in a lane of traffic at the speed of cars, not allowed to be there but certainly not in bike lane or on MUP...Multi Use Path...but, they are here...Too bad when ya trundle into the 'ebike' store, they hype and sell electric scooters along with e assist bikes. That's a loophole that may or may not get closed.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Here, 'motorized vehicles' are not allowed in the bike lane. An electric assist bike isn't a 'motorized vehicle'...if that 49cc scooter or electric scooter can't be in a lane of traffic at the speed of cars, not allowed to be there but certainly not in bike lane or on MUP...Multi Use Path...but, they are here...Too bad when ya trundle into the 'ebike' store, they hype and sell electric scooters along with e assist bikes. That's a loophole that may or may not get closed.
Well it's not like they're allowed here either but the thing is when they paint bike lanes around my city at least they basically reconfigure the existing space of the roads to do it. Basically all the bike lanes are is lines with a bicyclist stick figure painted in them to show that there is this projected space for a cyclist to use aside from the road space for the cars. It's goofy because it's not like the road grew any bigger but we have more lanes now, this is just in the city limits anyways, where they can do it. It's a bit of a new thing over the past decade or so.

I think in a scenario where if the scooter is in a bike lane to let a car overtake but runs the risk of rear ending a cyclist then naturally the scooter slows down to avoid that or if it's safe to do so the scooter simply takes the car lane to pass the biker and then yields right of way to the car. It's all just road etiquette which should lead to good sense and safety in my view no matter the laws. However cars as you know are bigger and trump two wheels motorized or not if your two wheels don't have the steam to keep up then it's best to simply go to the side of the road and let the bigger faster car pass.
Closed Thread