Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 02:48 PM

eBiker uses the word "we" among a group of cyclists. Awkward silence ensues...

Went out for a little ride today with a few buddies. Cresting a local gnarly hill (11% continual grade) when we got passed by an ebiker. We were grinding up the hill and he passed us like he wasn't even trying. He wasn't rude, he was just having a completely different experience than the rest of us.

Shortly thereafter, a car came too close to comfort to both myself and my buddies. At the crest of the hill, the ebiker (who was looking on his phone) commented on the car, which I guess had buzzed him as well.

"They don't know how we feel about them," he said.

No one really knew how to answer that. It caught me off guard. We all kind of nodded and grunted in assent. It was a tad awkward. The ebiker said something briefly and rode off.

I have nothing against ebikes. (although the fact that Ed Begley Jr is now a big advocate means they're ripe for parody). But I do wonder how they will expand - or limit - the definition of "cyclist" and all that it entails.

The ebiker was clearly on two wheels. And yet he hadn't worked nearly as hard as we did to crest that hill. Was the word "we" warranted?

I frankly have no idea. But it seems to me that this issue will become more and more prominent.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:52 PM

You're overthinking it
Old 11-10-2019, 02:53 PM
50 bpm

Yes. Two wheels and pedaling. Definitely a "we." Particularly if access (however pricey) to e-bikes increases the numbers of "we."
Old 11-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
You're overthinking it
Could very well be.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:57 PM

This feels like the same interaction hybrid riders get at snobby bike shops...
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Maybe he was a roadie who felt like riding his e-bike that day.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:14 PM

On a bike and got buzzed by the same car as you. Definitely a "we" in this case. Just look at it as you guys worked harder to achieve the same goal of climbing that hill. Nothing more, nothing less. Biggest issue here was the jerk in the car.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:24 PM

my local club has 4 levels of group rides

I ride with 13 mph average group and many who participate are of retirement age or older. on a ride this week with 15 riders, 5 were on E bikes. we were all having fun...and it is interesting to hear my thoughts as I puff up the hill and the E's pass me like I'm standing still. no critique but we are at a turning point cuz zillions more are coming.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM

We = Humans

Even people driving cars.

It could have been someone on a track bike riding a 52x14 (-:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Not sure what kind of e-bike you are talking about but when talking about the pedal assist variety you are dead wrong to think you are different or somehow better than someone on an e-bike. I use an e-bike to commute to work most days because I have to get to work as quickly as possible to be on time. I work just as hard as I do as if I were on a standard bike but instead of going 20-21 I am able to hit 28. And yes the 15 minutes I save does matter. I get a good work out in, I am one less car and I am the same cyclist facing the same risks and getting the same exercise as I do on a regular bike.

I think it’s safe to assume you have never even ridden an e-bike or you would have never made this post.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:41 PM

You're The Same On The Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Went out for a little ride today with a few buddies. Cresting a local gnarly hill (11% continual grade) when we got passed by an ebiker. We were grinding up the hill and he passed us like he wasn't even trying. He wasn't rude, he was just having a completely different experience than the rest of us.

Shortly thereafter, a car came too close to comfort to both myself and my buddies. At the crest of the hill, the ebiker (who was looking on his phone) commented on the car, which I guess had buzzed him as well.

No one really knew how to answer that. It caught me off guard. We all kind of nodded and grunted in assent. It was a tad awkward. The ebiker said something briefly and rode off.

I have nothing against ebikes. (although the fact that Ed Begley Jr is now a big advocate means they're ripe for parody). But I do wonder how they will expand - or limit - the definition of "cyclist" and all that it entails.

The ebiker was clearly on two wheels. And yet he hadn't worked nearly as hard as we did to crest that hill. Was the word "we" warranted?

I frankly have no idea. But it seems to me that this issue will become more and more prominent.
Whether this guy was a runner running his route or a guy walking his dog, you were all the same in that you were passed unsafely by a motor vehicle. The "we" applies.

The intellectual excercise you're having about whether or not his mode of transport includes or excludes him from your clique is up to you.

IMO he wasn't asking to join your ride, he didn't critique your bicycles, he just made the connection that while on the road and getting buzzed you experienced the same thing.

An argument over whether or not ebikers are cyclist will ensue and from my perspective that is a funny first world non issue.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
Not sure what kind of e-bike you are talking about but when talking about the pedal assist variety you are dead wrong to think you are different or somehow better than someone on an e-bike. I use an e-bike to commute to work most days because I have to get to work as quickly as possible to be on time. I work just as hard as I do as if I were on a standard bike but instead of going 20-21 I am able to hit 28. And yes the 15 minutes I save does matter. I get a good work out in, I am one less car and I am the same cyclist facing the same risks and getting the same exercise as I do on a regular bike.

I think it’s safe to assume you have never even ridden an e-bike or you would have never made this post.
This is true. I've never ridden an ebike. I'm also completely unaccustomed to seeing them on my daily rides. There is nothing derogatory about the cyclist in my post. Af far my wondering about the "we" part of it, I think it's a perfectly valid conversation to have.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

Was he on two wheels? Was he passed too close by a car? Of course "we" was warranted.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 PM
The B!

dudes on choppers still wave at dudes on R6s.. two completely different riding experiences and lifestyles, but both are on two wheels and vulnerable road users facing similar risks out there. both riders standing around drinking beers bitching about "cagers" at the bar will say "we"

gotta change your mindset. expand your sphere of acceptance some my dawg
Old 11-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Funny how "we" cyclists self segregate into different tiers with varying degrees of legit-ness.
Also funny how getting passed by a car can toss all that out the window and instantly everyone feels the same vulnerability
Closed Thread