Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Cipollini has heart surgery

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mar...-from-surgery/

Mario Cipollini battling heart conditions, recovering from surgery

Tim
Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Timely. I just turned 50 and through a routine checkup, found out I had a blockage in an artery myself. I had a stent installed on Monday.

I am a big healthy looking guy. I am not skinny, eat a bit too much ice cream, tapered down a lot of exercise to ‘some’ exercise after my kids were born (in the past ten years) and a perfect storm brewed to create a significant blockage.

Apparently I have a genetic disorder where my body doesn’t fully metabolize cholesterol as it should, so this damage occurred.

The good news is that I have not had any ‘cardiac event’ and this was picked up by chance, so my doctors say I’ve dodged a bullet. That said, in spite of it being genetic, I am changing my diet and exercise habits to make sure I avoid this any time again.

Good luck to Mario - I am rooting for him. Not so much for his stupid behaviour with his wife, however...
Old 11-10-2019, 11:23 AM
50 bpm

Heart disease is a stunner when you're told you have it. In a flash you think of all the negatives including not being able to ride anymore. Thankfully the negatives (mostly) are false!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Two wheels good

Glad to hear that you caught it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Timely. I just turned 50 and through a routine checkup, found out I had a blockage in an artery myself. I had a stent installed on Monday.

I am a big healthy looking guy. I am not skinny, eat a bit too much ice cream, tapered down a lot of exercise to ‘some’ exercise after my kids were born (in the past ten years) and a perfect storm brewed to create a significant blockage.

Apparently I have a genetic disorder where my body doesn’t fully metabolize cholesterol as it should, so this damage occurred.

The good news is that I have not had any ‘cardiac event’ and this was picked up by chance, so my doctors say I’ve dodged a bullet. That said, in spite of it being genetic, I am changing my diet and exercise habits to make sure I avoid this any time again.

Good luck to Mario - I am rooting for him. Not so much for his stupid behaviour with his wife, however...
Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mar...-from-surgery/

Mario Cipollini battling heart conditions, recovering from surgery

Tim
It's hard to look at how big and ripped Cipollini is and not wonder what kind of, um, diet, he's been on over the past few years.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
It's hard to look at how big and ripped Cipollini is and not wonder what kind of, um, diet, he's been on over the past few years.
Unfortunately that was my first thought as well.

Tim
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM

I keep an eye on my heart health after a clot scare in 2011. I take a statin and my latest cholesterol was 148 with good ratios. When I lived in NE Texas, one of the really strong guys had recovered from bypass surgery the year prior. One afternoon we were in a group about 5 miles from home when he started slowing down. When he exceeded 120HR he'd get painful throbbing in his neck. We stopped and told him to either call his wife or an ambulance. He did neither but we all slowed down and rode with him back to his house. He got two stents that evening. I went to see him a few days later, "hey dumbass, it was just a bike ride, nothing to die over".
Old 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
We do not and have not shared the same lifestyle. Mine is more flamboyant

I am apparently an odd case as I rarely drink, never smoke, exercise daily and eat a generally solid diet. If nothing else, I am a man of moderation....

My one thought is my sedentary job. Sending emails and taking conference calls is not exactly good for blood circulation.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:29 PM

I liked Il Re Leone. Wish him a full recovery.

One has to wonder if the drugs he took caused this condition - "heart muscle grows around the coronary artery and constricts blood flow".
Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

Just curious, How did a routine checkup catch a blocked artery? Just had one and other than standard blood work and the Doc listening to my heart I am not sure how something like this could be detected without complaints of symptoms.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:09 PM

I had a standard blood test and ecg (per doctors suggestion) just before my 50th. The ecg picked up a faint irregularity and they just asked to do a treadmill stress test, then more blood work and then a stress echocardiogram. It snowballed from something very small - I must say, it was a pretty good catch by all the doctors. I had a ‘lipoprotein A’ test done which I had to pay for (this is Canada - quite unusual to have to pay) - apparently this is not condoned by the Canadian Medical Association as it is not proven as accurate enough, but in my case, it was dead on and identified this genetic disorder that I apparently have - $65 well spent.

My complaint was that I was tired and lacking energy. I experienced no pain at all.

My dark sense of humour routinely joked with buddies about being the guy dropping dead of a heart attack on the side of a MTB trail. I will not be joking about that anytime again
Old 11-10-2019, 04:28 PM

I had to chuckle when I was reading about this on Cyclingnews a day or two ago, when Mario mentions cranking up a climb pushing 500 watts, and a photo of him riding without a helmet. Mario being Mario.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Interesting to follow the health issues from riders active during this time period in cycling. Sad to say that the consequences will ultimately trump any (race) results.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:21 PM

To the gentleman with the blockages, what EXACTLY was the blockage? Calcium buildup in an artery?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
To the gentleman with the blockages, what EXACTLY was the blockage? Calcium buildup in an artery?
Yes, I guess!? They said ‘plaque’. Is that calcium? I’d like to get rid of it, but it doesn’t work that way I assume.