Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Nobody beats Assos for cold weather gear.
This is my vote. And their jackets come in black.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
This is my vote. And their jackets come in black.
Also is my choice. Their winter stuff is very technical. Lots of different panels and works very well.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 AM

Cannot lose with something from castelli or assos. Years of technical experience lets them execute jackets for very specific conditions very easily while some of the hipper companies are just trying to bring a jacket or two to market to round out their collections.

I love all-black everything for sure. Riding with my gf showed me the light for hi-vis. She is just 100 times easier to see and keep track of when she has her hi-vis gear on. Some of that must apply to me... I think I’m going to have to break down and buy som hi-vis myself.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
I have one of these: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...uct/SJK08XXYEL - comes in black/dark colors too. Excellent jacket, especially if wet/damp.Pit zips are quite useful.

This one is also really good but more suited to cold crisp (ie dry) conditions - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/w...roduct/WJY09XX - more of a jacket weight than jersey and very comfortable in the low teens (F) with a decent base-layer
+1. Always been happy to pay the "Rapha tax"
Old 11-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
not necessarily a jacket but this thing is awesome and on sale -

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...uct/WJY10XXBLK

Got me through last winter and I bought another to have 2. Its super warm, I can wear just this (with a merino base layer) till about 30 degrees. If there is any rain I pair it with a rain jacket, if under 30 I add something else as well.
Thanks for the heads up I ordered one.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Thanks for the heads up I ordered one.
glad I was able to help. Really is a fantastic piece and surprised they still have pretty much all sizes on sale.

Hope it does you well as well.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
I have one of these: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...uct/SJK08XXYEL - comes in black/dark colors too. Excellent jacket, especially if wet/damp.Pit zips are quite useful.

This one is also really good but more suited to cold crisp (ie dry) conditions - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/w...roduct/WJY09XX - more of a jacket weight than jersey and very comfortable in the low teens (F) with a decent base-layer
That winter windproof jersey aka 'jerket' is a lot like my Castelli 'jerket.'

Great stuff if you run warm.

I've had the Assos 851 and couldn't wear it above 30deg. Tried a buddy's Castelli Radiator and it had a wider temp range, but it was still too warm. Had a Gore Phantom 2 and it did OK to warmer temps, but I never took the sleeves off, so sold that too.

Seems my personal key is to have a breathable back. Helps with the 'getting too hot' thing

M
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I'm with Gasman - appropriate layers and shell. And if you want hi viz through an Assos sturmprinz in lolly red on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 PM

i wish i could wear rapha stuff, but it seems like even the XXLs are too tight on me
Old 11-03-2019, 08:18 PM

I’m a fan of the Rapha Pro Race Cape. I wore mine yesterday on a 70 mile ride with temps ranging from the low 30s up to 45 and it worked great for me. Obviously it’s designed more as a rain jacket, but with a merino base layer and long sleeve jersey, I was comfortable.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Regarding winter Jacket with all the so called advances in material I cannot find anything better than my 851 jacket for a cold dry day. This thing is the works.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Sorry.

Just trying to keep the already awful statistics from getting worse.
Thanks. I know where it's coming from, but it's still an awful thing to say, especially to someone you don't know.

That being said, I appreciate all of the input and some new brands to check out mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) with Rapha being the only game in town for "try ons", I may have gather some patience to play the customer service / shipping game with some of the other brands.

Thanks again All!
Old 11-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Everything is connected

I had that same Hincapie jacket years ago and it didn’t breath very well imho...especially when riding in cold temps and putting in some effort. I had the 851 and I agree with Lionel that it excels in cold, dry conditions. For the past few years my go to jackets have been a Rapha Pro Team and a Rapha Winter. I use the PT most of the time...it’s very light, blocks wind and breathes very well. The Winter jacket gets the call for sub-32F rides and on colder rides where I might see some light snow. Serious Winter riders swear allegiance to the Assos Fugujack and having owned one, I concur with their beliefs.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:07 PM

Just echoing an earlier endorsement of Castelli's Alpha RoS jacket. I really like mine. Huge range of temperatures depending on what you wear underneath (light baselayer, long sleeve heavier baselayer, short sleeve jersey over baselayer, etc), plus Gabba-like performance in wet conditions.

The inner ventilation layer with zipper seem gimmicky, but works really well in practice to cool off when needed (like when climbing).
Old 11-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Regarding winter Jacket with all the so called advances in material I cannot find anything better than my 851 jacket for a cold dry day. This thing is the works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I had the 851 and I agree with Lionel that it excels in cold, dry conditions.
Well, I see my work here is done...