Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
A little bit of French is absolutely required when you're outside of the touristy areas. Approaching a French person in English often can lead to an unpleasant interaction. Also, don't hold the American view of French are rude and snobby - if you are nice to them you will get it back in spades (except in Paris). When I was biketouring there I was amazed by the kindness I received. You will be surprised at the accommodation of bikes in France - many hotels have secure lock up and tools and a pump available. Look for cycling specific hostels and such. The really great thing about France is that, wherever you go, EVERYTHING is delicious. You don't need to spend a lot of money (especially if you can read a French-only menu) and even their cheap table wine is great.

One warning - all major (non local) train require a bike to be in a bag of some sort - no matter how much you beg. Get a Japanese rinko bag before you go to increase your range.
What he said. Even 25-30 words of broken, embarassing French at least shows you're giving it an attempt. I found "I'm sorry, but that's all the French I know," got a good laugh or two when you've reached the end of your language skills.

Biggest difference in my experience this Spring: Paris, nearly everyone you deal with knows English, and they know you know they know English, but they're still going to operate in French.

Outside Paris? Even a few broken phrases and a butchering try at it will get you far. A cab driver and I managed to get from Roubaix back to our home base for the sportive with maybe 20 common words between us. Seemed like a nice dude.

Or just book Lionel as your personal translator. He'll schmooze the owner up for a free terrine and a couple bottles.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah I didn't go out of my way to go in bike shops either.

But walking around all day in Paris multiple days I ran across a couple little bike shops and looked in.
When I was in Paris a few years ago, the only bike shop I went to was Alex Singer in Levallois. A bit of a trek from the city centre but it was worth it. Hallowed ground for sure.

KJ
Old 10-25-2019, 01:03 PM

With that length of time and considering the Eurostar to London is about $150 return, I would suggest a day or two there or maybe another City that is easy to get to or a day trip or two to the country.

When I went to Paris a few years ago, I was done after 3 days. Fortunately, we were only there for 4.

For things to see and do:

Centre Pompidou - https://www.centrepompidou.fr/en - lucked into a really interesting Le Corbusier exhibit - even got professional learning credits for it.

The Marais district is nice to walk around for a few hours - we stayed in a really nice Airbnb there.

Champs Elysees was interesting to walk around - my advice is to do it for a few hours at a time over a few days.

We skipped the Louvre.

Eiffel tower was interesting to see.

My wife made her pilgrimage to the Rick Owens main store, as well as a few other fashion houses.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Change the dates, grab a train to Martigny, and take in the Worlds.
Whatever, enjoy yourself.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Don't forget to download a translator app.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Believe it or not, I am not into visiting bike shops or biking hero shrines / historical landmarks ...I am all about the experience. Experiencing the vastness of a landscape, experiencing the majestic view on top of a col, experiencing the uniqueness of a culture or people....

I like to take everything in around me, being aware and really get a feel for my surroundings.
I'm going to send you a brilliant newish book on pass-hunting in France -- inter-Paceline pal loan system...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 02:38 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
We skipped the Louvre.
My one trip to Paris was off-season, a week spanning the end of January and start of February, so the tourist load was light. I was time-boxed by my work schedule and planned my Louvre trip for Wednesday night when the museum is open late. Compared to many daytime visits to museums in the US, it was less crowded, less frustrating, and I've thought about going back ever since.

I targeted a few specific things--Michelangelo's Slaves, Winged Victory of Samothrace--and planned to skip the scrum around the Mona Lisa. Then, when I walked past her room, it was empty except for 5-6 Japanese tourists. So, I was able to look her in the eye at my leisure.

Thursday was my night trip to the Musee d'Orsay. Never made it to l'Orangerie or the Rodin museum, hope to do so when I go back.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:23 PM

We skipped the Louvre. It was daunting to figure out what tiny subset we'd go see and we were going to spend a lot of time waiting to get in. We were there during the heatwave and it felt like you were going to die waiting in line. It was really bad actually nearly everywhere in Paris. There was one little restaurant/cafe we went back to two days for lunch partly cause they had A/C.

We went to Musee de l'Orangerie instead. No more than 5 minutes in line and had time to see everything and not take the entire day. There was plenty there we wanted to see.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm going to send you a brilliant newish book on pass-hunting in France -- inter-Paceline pal loan system...
merci beaucoup
Old 10-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

Centre Pompidou - https://www.centrepompidou.fr/en - lucked into a really interesting Le Corbusier exhibit - even got professional learning credits for it.

If you get to the Pompidou Center--eat lunch there (if you can get a seat). The wait staff look like they just came from their photo shoot for Paris Vogue, the food is pretty good, views are great, and the people watching fabulous.

A couple of my faves are food related--Mariage Frères for tea (buy some of their monthly special--there are multiple locations)--and the famous French gourmet grocery store/provisioners, Fauchon at the Place de Madeleine (https://www.parisinsidersguide.com/fauchon-paris.html)

We had afternoon tea there--it was extraordinary, but even a grab and go sandwich is special, as is anything in the pastry counter.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We skipped the Louvre. It was daunting to figure out what tiny subset we'd go see and we were going to spend a lot of time waiting to get in. We were there during the heatwave and it felt like you were going to die waiting in line. It was really bad actually nearly everywhere in Paris. There was one little restaurant/cafe we went back to two days for lunch partly cause they had A/C.

We went to Musee de l'Orangerie instead. No more than 5 minutes in line and had time to see everything and not take the entire day. There was plenty there we wanted to see.
+1 on the Musee de l'Orangerie, esp. if you like Impressionist and post-Impressionist painting. Getting into the Louvre can be hit or miss regarding queues. Might get lucky and be able to walk right in, other times you're stuck in a queue. I think the trick for the Musee de l'Orangerie is to get there early (like when it opens) to avoid the tour groups.

Also, after the Musee, take a walk and have lunch at La Crêperie du Clown
Old 10-25-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Since Canadian cell phone plans suck so bad, another thing I did was get a SIM card from Orange which gave me like a month's worth of data and world wide long distance. Think it was about $50 CAD. I was only there for a week so it was plenty.

You just have to live with a Euro phone number for the duration of the trip.
You can usually get an Orange pre-paid sim card (or other sim card) at the Relay kiosks in CDG.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Believe it or not, I am not into visiting biking hero shrines / historical landmarks ...
You could always check out Pere Lachaise...
Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Will second this area for great riding. Check out videos of the Coombe Laval!

For Ventoux, Veloventoux is your place!
Another vote for www.velovercors.com

The Vercors region.. easy to get to by TGV from Paris to Valence and superb riding on roads so quiet they could almost count as closed. Check out the feature in Cyclist https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/203/vercors-big-ride
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Too Few Miles

Ok, this is sort of cool!

It looks like there are some hands raised for Velo Vercors.

Not to hijack thread, cause it's about great cycling in France.

And looping back in I've been blessed enough to do the big Monument climbs and still end up going back to the Vercors because there is so little traffic and the roads are so wonderful.

So who else has been to Velo Vercors?

Joel