Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 AM

OT: 10 hour Haunted House ???

This story has crossed a few outlets I follow (I’ve copied one and pasted below). Back in the day going to a haunted house around this time of year was a fun date night or fun group outing. It’s concerning the mandatory requirements for this haunted house.

————
Those who don’t get spooked by haunted house operator Russ McKamey’s risk management protocol for gaining access to what the media is calling America’s “most terrifying haunted house experience” are pretty brave.

As detailed on the McKamey Manor website, participants hoping to enter the house in Summertown, Tennessee, that has been featured in documentaries and more must:

Be 21 years old or older, or 18-20 with parent’s approval;
Complete a “sports physical” and have a doctor’s letter stating you are physically and mentally cleared;
Pass a background check provided by McKamey Manor;
Be screened via Facebook, Facetime or phone;
Proof of medical insurance;
Sign a detailed 40-page waiver;
Pass a portable drug test on the day of the show.

But wait, there’s more. Anyone who makes it through the house – a gauntlet of psychological thrill — is awarded $20,000. The caveat? Mr. McKamey doesn’t like it when people curse. Curse and you won’t win, he told reporters recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 11:53 AM

oh heeeeeeelll no.

have you watched the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCzXSjujkE
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Im calling BS. I don’t think it’s fair to have a haunted house where they can touch you and tie you up but you can’t fight back. I know you have to keep the safety of everyone involved in mind, but then don’t bind people
Old 10-24-2019, 11:59 AM

I hadn’t seen the video till you posted - and couldn’t make it past more than 3min - it’s horrifically too disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 12:06 PM

I think it'd be more fun to be waterboarded.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM

I went to the site and watched one of the videos...sorta wish I hadn't...not so much scary as nauseating...some woman being tortured etc...eeek.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Read about this the other day. Pretty extreme.

I watched the video made by the guy who runs it. He uses hypnosis and other tricks; I believe he's ex-military. Lots of scenes in the video show people with covering over their eyes, some had noise reducing headphones or similar over ears. Also had paint on their faces. Some might have been tied up, but hard to tell sometimes. He says physical contact is minimal this year.

IMO not so much a "Halloween" experience, but more of a frightening mind game experience that a person could conceivably do any time of year. Something about people being able to possibly get into my head like that is NOT anything I'm interested in.

Supposedly no one has made it all the way through the "experience" yet.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM
coffee consumer

not for me...especially since you have folks pushing/dragging you around and you can't fight back. All I did is watch the video, but this seems more like a BDSM torture event than Halloween.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Riding Along

Well, it seems that they have marketed and monetized their sociopathic tendencies. This is sad and well...sadistic. All parties involved need to find some humanity and dignity.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
not for me...especially since you have folks pushing/dragging you around and you can't fight back. All I did is watch the video, but this seems more like a BDSM torture event than Halloween.
From the news articles on this guy's haunts, more like straight up torture (I mean enhanced interrogation), with the description of what amounts to waterboarding...

didn't have the stomach to click on the videos
Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Barely Hanging On

Even without needing to fly in from Kuwait, I think I'll take a hard pass on that haunted house. I don't think I generally want to be on a bike for 8-10 hours at a time and that's something I like to do.

I can just imagine a house of horrors for cyclists involving a rusted Eddy Merckx turned into a fixie with totally wrong handlebars, some spray paint, and a rust chain. Kind of like that 3Rensho recently up here.