Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 12:24 AM

Ive had real good outcomes with a product called Spenco Second Skin. It's like a gel with perforated plastic on either side. You peel off one side of the plastic and apply...instant cooling to the affected area and won't let wound scab. If it starts to dry out you can wet it and it's like new except I would change it out fairly often. They used to make a blanket of this **** to put on sunburn victims backs which would easily cover a hip rash.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:03 PM

Bringing this back....Any of you using anti coagulants or blood thinners and aspirin? And ride?

What do you carry with you on the bike? Sprays, some power materials, etc? To make you stop bleeding.

After recent almost heart attack....am on an anti coagulant (Brilinta) plus baby aspirin. I bleed and bruise very easy, and Doc not thrilled with me on bike. I do avoid group rides now.

This AM, foot didn't clip into Look pedal, shin scraped on edge of pedal. What in past would have been at most a minor almost not noticeable shin scrape, became a bleeding cut immediately. This was about 3 inches above ankle, and soon sock was wet with blood down into my shoe. It finally stopped bleeding profusely, though still dripping some, and I was able to ride the 6 miles back home. Lower leg a mess. Blood jellied up around ankle, etc.

So which wound care product do some of you have experience with? That you carry on bike? That are being treated for a heart condition. I'm told I will be on this about another 9 months. There are some sprays and powers that advertise they stop bleeding. Any large large pads treated with coagulating materials I can carry with me? I know I'm not the only one riding while taking heart meds. Thanks....Got scared this AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:25 PM
Riding Along

There are coagulating powders that are used by combat medics but I do not know if they are approved beyond that. Ironically I have some of the powder for my dog and use it when I trim his nails in case I cut one too short. It is readily available. Your best bet is to carry some gauze, compression pads and medical tape. The primary 1st aid treatment for an external bleed is pressure. Your real risk is an internal bleed if you go down. Be careful. If you go down you should get checked out right away in case of an internal bleed even if you do not have anything serious externally.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:37 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
silver colloidal wound gel and tegaderm and patience
I've had great results with this, or with the colloidal already manufactured on the tegaderm.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAM14 View Post
Ive had real good outcomes with a product called Spenco Second Skin. It's like a gel with perforated plastic on either side. You peel off one side of the plastic and apply...instant cooling to the affected area and won't let wound scab. If it starts to dry out you can wet it and it's like new except I would change it out fairly often. They used to make a blanket of this **** to put on sunburn victims backs which would easily cover a hip rash.
I was going to suggest this. Works really well. Of course, by now, I hope you're healed.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Colloidal silver - Hope you feel better!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Bringing this back....Any of you using anti coagulants or blood thinners and aspirin? And ride?

What do you carry with you on the bike? Sprays, some power materials, etc? To make you stop bleeding.

After recent almost heart attack....am on an anti coagulant (Brilinta) plus baby aspirin. I bleed and bruise very easy, and Doc not thrilled with me on bike. I do avoid group rides now.

This AM, foot didn't clip into Look pedal, shin scraped on edge of pedal. What in past would have been at most a minor almost not noticeable shin scrape, became a bleeding cut immediately. This was about 3 inches above ankle, and soon sock was wet with blood down into my shoe. It finally stopped bleeding profusely, though still dripping some, and I was able to ride the 6 miles back home. Lower leg a mess. Blood jellied up around ankle, etc.

So which wound care product do some of you have experience with? That you carry on bike? That are being treated for a heart condition. I'm told I will be on this about another 9 months. There are some sprays and powers that advertise they stop bleeding. Any large large pads treated with coagulating materials I can carry with me? I know I'm not the only one riding while taking heart meds. Thanks....Got scared this AM.
This stuff works, but obviously not cheap. I would second the recommendation above regarding bringing along a 4" x 4" gauze pad and an elastic compressive dressing (ace wrap will work).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_118.jpg (34.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:52 PM

Thanks