Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 06:06 AM

Grand Bois was also proactive with getting large volume clinchers to market via Panaracer. They predated Compass.

Last edited by merckx; 10-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Afaik, Jan Heine was the first person to get Panaracer to make a more supple, wide tire, at a time when none of the other big-brand makers (Schwalbe, Kenda, Continental, etc.) had anything comparable. Now that the niche has proven itself, the bigger companies have started to make competing products. I wouldn’t hold my breath for Veloflex or Vittoria to jump on the bandwagon.
If only... I am excitedly waiting delivery of new 28mm Veloflex Raven tubs...a whole one millimeter wider than the 27mm predecessor... and of colossal 30mm Vittoria Corsa tubs. I guess the purists are still pure(ly skinny). But this is tubular, and one can't be kitted properly when gluing anything wider.

Thank goodness for the Grand Bois Compass Rene Herse lineage. That blew the doors off what was understood and made bikes way more fun.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 10-25-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:57 AM
Administrator

for road tires, veloflex is still top of the heap for best ride quality race tires. i obviously havent tried this new batch, but they are still the gold standard as far as i'm concerned for road tires. they are a bit on the delicate side, but with fast supple race tires, punctures are a matter of luck largely, and veloflex has treated me well thus far.

vittoria G+ tires are running a close second and add a bit more durability. these are generally my go-to road tire because they ride so well and last a little longer than the veloflex.

all of the other good road race typed tires are very good these days and the gap to the top tier tires (veloflex/vittoria) is closing fast. I've got a set of new Pirelli Velo tires i'm waiting to try, and the newest schwalbe race tires are supposed to be very good. it boils down to a preference thing these days.

the compass tires are a different category of tire IMO, i see no realistic comparison between veloflex tires and compass, they are for different styles of riding.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Grand Bois was also proactive with getting large volume clinchers to market via Panaracer. The predated Compass.
I had forgotten about Grand Bois. This post from VO from 2007 gives some background on Grand Bois. Sounds like Grand Bois was sort of like a Japanese Rivendell(?), i.e, a bike builder and shop that had Panaracer make tires for them.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/200...ando-rack.html

I was always under the impression that Jan Heine had some connection with Grand Bois. It seems as if at first, perhaps not. But looking at the blog post where Compass tires were introduced, there is a description of collaborating with Grand Bois and Challenge:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/...compass-tires/
Old 10-25-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I had forgotten about Grand Bois. This post from VO from 2007 gives some background on Grand Bois. Sounds like Grand Bois was sort of like a Japanese Rivendell(?), i.e, a bike builder and shop that had Panaracer make tires for them.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/200...ando-rack.html

I was always under the impression that Jan Heine had some connection with Grand Bois. It seems as if at first, perhaps not. But looking at the blog post where Compass tires were introduced, there is a description of collaborating with Grand Bois and Challenge:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/...compass-tires/
Good Stuff. Thank you for the additional historical perspective.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Peter Weigle also did a great podcast that i have to dig up that talked about the early days of large volume supple tires and remembers taking touring oriented tires to the belt sander to shave some tread and weight. all this was not too long ago relatively speaking - we have come a long way since than with regard to larger volume "all road" tires, for sure!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM

If you have ever ridden a standard diameter steel racing bicycle equipped with a pair of tub wheels, you will know where my perspective on current bicycle technology was derived. The development and reintroduction of large volume bicycle tires may be a response to over-engineered bicycle frames, and a misguided arms-race over frame stiffness. Large volume tires were once standard equipment developed to tame primitive road surfaces. When roads improved, tire volume decreased. As bicycle frame tubing evolved to include increased diameter, and uber-engineered carbon chassis, the tire volume began to increase again. I understand that road surface quality has begun to deteriorate, and dirt road riding has been reintroduced to our riding options, and these are good reasons to slip a pair of bloated wheels into our frames, but it seems that we are searching for something that we once had with lightweight steel frames and tubular wheels.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
If you have ever ridden a standard diameter steel racing bicycle equipped with a pair of tub wheels, you will know where my perspective on current bicycle technology was derived. The development and reintroduction of large volume bicycle tires may be a response to over-engineered bicycle frames, and a misguided arms-race over frame stiffness. Large volume tires were once standard equipment developed to tame primitive road surfaces. When roads improved, tire volume decreased. As bicycle frame tubing evolved to include increased diameter, and uber-engineered carbon chassis, the tire volume began to increase again. I understand that road surface quality has begun to deteriorate, and dirt road riding has been reintroduced to our riding options, and these are good reasons to slip a pair of bloated wheels into our frames, but it seems that we are searching for something that we once had with lightweight steel frames and tubular wheels.
I'm not sure this matches actual history At least not in the US. In the 1970s and 1980s (before MTB were popular), most people's road bikes were of the "touring" and "sport touring" variety, and had tires of 28mm - 32mm. Only a few people (mostly serious racers) rode narrower tires. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, a few things happened: Triathlon was become popular; with Greg Lemond's success in Europe, road racing was becoming known in the US; aerodynamics was becoming part of the racing bike vernacular; and hooked bead rims and foldable lightweight high pressure clincher tires were being developed. More people were interested in going fast on their bikes. Because it was widely assumed that narrower tires were faster (because they had a smaller contact patch), and also because narrower tires and wheels had less air resistance, more people began using narrow high pressure tires. Then when Lance Armstrong started winning the Tour de France in 1999, everyone was convinced they needed a bike like his, and racing bikes (with narrow high pressure tires) became the norm.

Because of the desire for stiffer and lighter bikes (and for everyone to have bikes like their favorite pro racers rode), fat tubed aluminum and carbon fiber bikes also became common during this period. But which was the cause of bikes giving harsher rides? Science, direct measurements, and blind rider testing have given us the answer: It was the change to narrower, higher pressure tires that made the biggest difference in ride compliance. Diamond frames are so stiff vertical (regardless of material), that differences in frame stiffness are much less of an influence in ride compliance than tire flex.

The recent move to wider tires has more to do with changes in the types of riding being done (more adventure riding, for example), and changes in rider aspirations (fewer riders are selecting bikes based on what pro racers are riding), than it has to do with changes in bike frame materials. If anything, the move to wider, lower pressure tires is more of a correction, than it is new direction.