Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Waterford also makes a good stainless steel bike that is brazed.

https://waterfordbikes.com/artisan-stainless-22-series/
I had one, fancy lugs and it was beautiful but when compared to my TrueTemper, non stainless lugged Waterford bike..it sure rode the same, same dimensions. BUT it was easily 3 times the $..for that kinda $, I'd say go with Titanium..
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
This is bank. Not a lot left to say. (Dave Wages might usefully relate his experience.) Much appreciated.
+1. Thanks Dave.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Thanks Dave for your very informative reply. I remember reading somewhere under your builders forum you explaining the differences between steel and stainless steel. Since you built me my dream bike earlier this year a JKS, are the stainless tubes the chain stays?
I use 953 stainless for the top and down tubes on the JKS and, depending on the size of the frame and weight of the rider possibly a 953 seat tube. The c-stays, s-stays, and fork blades are special steel parts made just for the JKS by Reynolds.

dave
Old 10-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Thanks Dave.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM

I have a stainless frame by Dave Anderson and the ride is sublime. I choose the extra expense of the SS in order to achieve the look that I wanted which is a polished fork, lugs, polished chain and seatstays. Spectacular. Solid, comfortable, fits perfectly, steers, descends, etc.

I have a Ti frame by Lauren Trout, Saila Bikes, beautifully made, beads as fine as you’ll see from any custom builder, she does wonderful work. Fits perfectly, handles razor sharp, smooth with the full Ti qualities of the small vibration absorption but still stiff.

My favorite one tends to be the one I’m on, I enjoy them both, they ride completely differently but I can’t say ones better than the other or the stainless has a certain quality over Ti in terms of ride.

Once a frame becomes a total bicycle the different qualities of the frame materials I believe become muted by so many different factors, the selection of the builder, who chooses the geometry, tubing, then you have wheel choice and tires which play a huge factor. When picking what type of frame to go with it’s the intent of the finished bike.

This is of course if comparing pretty similar builds, geometry, etc.

With that said, for a bike that is intended for mixed use Ti is pretty hard to top if one can afford, lifetime bike. After that I’d still go with a quality steel frame over stainless. There is a difference in weight, but once absorbed by the rest of the components tends to become minimal. But for the price of a stainless steel frame, if I was going for an all around bike or the bike was going to be my number one bike, titanium is just such a great material.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Similar here. I also have a custom stainless bike by Dave Anderson, because I wanted a lugged frame, and to see some of his exquisite workmanship not covered by paint. And I have a Ti Firefly. Both wonderful bikes. They do have different purposes - Firefly is pure road, Anderson is all-road.

If it weren't for wanting lugs, the all-road would have been Ti. Not sure I see why I'd want a welded stainless frame over a Ti frame (but others may have reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I have a stainless frame by Dave Anderson and the ride is sublime. I choose the extra expense of the SS in order to achieve the look that I wanted which is a polished fork, lugs, polished chain and seatstays. Spectacular. Solid, comfortable, fits perfectly, steers, descends, etc.

I have a Ti frame by Lauren Trout, Saila Bikes, beautifully made, beads as fine as you’ll see from any custom builder, she does wonderful work. Fits perfectly, handles razor sharp, smooth with the full Ti qualities of the small vibration absorption but still stiff.

My favorite one tends to be the one I’m on, I enjoy them both, they ride completely differently but I can’t say ones better than the other or the stainless has a certain quality over Ti in terms of ride.

Once a frame becomes a total bicycle the different qualities of the frame materials I believe become muted by so many different factors, the selection of the builder, who chooses the geometry, tubing, then you have wheel choice and tires which play a huge factor. When picking what type of frame to go with it’s the intent of the finished bike.

This is of course if comparing pretty similar builds, geometry, etc.

With that said, for a bike that is intended for mixed use Ti is pretty hard to top if one can afford, lifetime bike. After that I’d still go with a quality steel frame over stainless. There is a difference in weight, but once absorbed by the rest of the components tends to become minimal. But for the price of a stainless steel frame, if I was going for an all around bike or the bike was going to be my number one bike, titanium is just such a great material.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 PM

Anderson Custom Bicycles

Dave Anderson does fantastic work. If going stainless it would be an Anderson bike for me. The attention to detail is exceptional.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/sets/

Last edited by Burnette; 10-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:39 PM

SOMA even made a limited run of stainless bikes.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Dave Anderson does fantastic work. If going stainless it would be an Anderson bike for me. The attention to detail is exceptional.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/sets/
Very clean! Dave Kirk's Onesto seat tube lug is also very clean too:

Both know how to work with stainless steel!

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:43 PM

This may be a somewhat leftfield question... but is anyone aware of a custom builder, experienced with 953 or XCr, who has built frames using the Ritchey Breakaway system to create a travel version of their frames? I know Holland cycles can do this using Ti but haven’t come across any reference to steel builders. Thanks
Old 10-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarendon View Post
This may be a somewhat leftfield question... but is anyone aware of a custom builder, experienced with 953 or XCr, who has built frames using the Ritchey Breakaway system to create a travel version of their frames? I know Holland cycles can do this using Ti but haven’t come across any reference to steel builders. Thanks
Anderson Custom Bicycles does couplings, it looks like jewelry, awesome work:

Old 10-26-2019, 06:55 AM

Wow!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Yours truly

I have had a few XCr stainless bikes and of course many Ti bikes over the years. If you ask me now which I like better, I would say a fully butted and properly designed light Ti bike. However, getting/wanting a stainless frame/bike has nothing to do with if it is better or worse than other materials. I want to own a stainless frame because it is stainless, case closed. FYI, XCr tubes are very stiff, in fact, they are probably too stiff for my liking. There are many builders that can work with stainless tubes nowadays but I would get one from an experienced builder with the shortest amount of wait time, anything over a year of wait is too long for me.