Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Steel..what else??

Poor LBS.......

Maybe find another line of work.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM

A quick look at "big" bike warranties shows that:

Cervelo - This warranty does not cover labor charges for parts changeovers.

TREK -This warranty does not cover - Labour charges for part replacement or changeover

Specialized - You will not be charged for shipping the Product to Specialized or receiving any replacement product or for labor charges incurred for processing the warranty

Cannondale - All labor charges for warranty service, including the transfer of components and/or any installation of new components, are the responsibility of the bicycle owner.

Looks like a mixed bag, but most saying that if you need to return the frame, you are responsible for labour. If I was a shop, I'd likely set a slightly reduced rate for labour as a way to help a customer out.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM

So how bad is the inside of the dropout damage from the dropped chain? Did it happen while riding or on the work stand? Was it wedged in there pretty bad? Seems to me that would be more cosmetic unless it was stuck between the lock ring and dropout due to pedaling forces.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
So...who pays the shipping and labor? I would refuse to process the warranty if this was the attitude of the consumer
I m looking for opinions here. I think the entity selling me the bike needs to take care of the expense of warranty. It should be built into price.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM

The LBS isn't Zappos or Kohls, it's specialty retail. If the manufacturer doesn't take care of the retailer the customer pays something in cases like unbuilding, boxing, shipping, recieving and rebuilding an infernal routed frame. Expect to pay 100 to 200 dollars, the retailer has done nothing wrong.

The average LBS already does its customers a list of solids that is like a mile long...at no or prorated charge...every day. Your gramps that cannot put his wheel on correct, the on the spot flat repairs for a local DUI king, quick fixes on random kids bikes, crazy discounts for the local wounded warriors, the crazy guy that doesn't wear a shirt...ever...needs a tire. NICA discounts and so on. All in the name being a solid citizen and customer support. Comes with the territory, can be a death by a thousand cuts if not managed properly

Bring in a broken Cervelo, expect to pay if the shop does the work. It's a sliding scale of time, PIA factor and customer history. All geared to keeping a customer happy yet not losing $, delicate balance. If you feel you might be on the high end of that scale...

In the case of the OP, the customer is in a bad spot, the shop is in a bad spot and everyone is losing $

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
I m looking for opinions here. I think the entity selling me the bike needs to take care of the expense of warranty. It should be built into price.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM

I took off my rear wheel to look at the inside of the dropout. I don't think this looks very good. A lot of the paint is chipped off on the top and bottom of the dropout and that large ship on the seatstay (that you can see well in the top image) looks bad to me. Cervelo is going to say that something traumatic happened to the dropout that caused the crack. The scary thing to me is that I don't remember anything that would have caused this much damage happening...but the marks are there whether I remember it or not.

I am going to see if Montenegro MFG feels like it is worth repairing. I think that if it is over $300, I will just look for a replacement frame...made out of metal.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 PM

The seatstay paint chip is from your chain drop incident, no? It doesn't look like it got into the resin from what I can see, I'm not sure that's the reason your dropout is (possibly) cracked. If I were you, I'd continue to follow through with your LBS/Cervelo warranty claim. I know it sucks to miss riding time, but it you also shouldn't be riding that bike right now anyway. If you need to, find another cheapy frame to hang your parts on that can serve as your backup bike should anything go wrong with your shiny new replacement Cervelo.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM

That looks pretty rough.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Cycling enthusiasts simply must have a back-up bicycle for unexpected incidents.
Who hasn’t taken a bicycle off the hook before a group ride to find a flat tire or whatever?

Concur with others to install parts on a metal bicycle and hang new gruppo on warranty Cervelo upon its arrival.
Or commence with ordering a custom frame and then sell the new and unused Cervelo to offset the custom purchase.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:44 PM

that dropout looks abused

you just lost my vote.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:06 PM
v a n i l l a

This is a bit of a puzzle as it seems a chain drop causing that much paint to come off on the SS let alone the drop out would have locked the rear wheel or caused some unforgettable grinding noise.

I don't recall the OP saying he dropped the chain BUT for sure that much paint doesn't just flake off on its own or due to wheel installation

My guess is that Cervelo sees that and denies warranty. But you should still pursue and hear it from them. if they decline, the only reason to fix it is if I you are committed to that frame since you will never get your money back out of that repair.

Personally, with so many other choices, I'd chalk it up to "it happens" and move on.

Also, regarding costs, i would not expect the shop to eat the parts removal or re-installation. Maybe give me a break but not free. Same thing on the shipping.
I would feel different if the issue was CLEARLY a defect; what's different in this case is you suspect a defect.

Last edited by pdmtong; 10-17-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Tired Member

If they deny a warranty claim, don't sweat it. It's just a frame. Get it fixed or get another one and move on.

Life is too short to get too wound up about something like a frame. Sure, it sux, but there are lots of them out there, too.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Lightweight carbon dropout, too much clamping force and a non-violent side impact = broken dropout.

The early Cannondale Hi Mod Evos had 16g dropouts and the scenario above was a common warranty claim. The R3 dropout doesn't look that much beefier.

Last edited by m4rk540; 10-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:38 PM

I think it's time to let this go. I guess a design flaw does not equal a manufacturing defect. I will follow through and bring it into the shop for the Cervelo conference call, but I have no expectations of anything coming from that.

I wouldn't be able to make it through this situation without the support and accumulated experience of the forum, so, thank goodness for Paceline!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:03 PM

A few words of encouragement: even if the warranty claim doesn't work out, perhaps all is not lost; you may sand it down and find there is no carbon crack. It will just look (somewhat) worse than it does now. If it is a keeper, you can spray over it or wear it proudly like a battle scar.