Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 03:53 PM

It's only a rear drop out. What could possibly go wrong? But seriously, have you removed the wheel to inspect the side near the lock ring, etc.? I would not ride that. No way. A decent bump in the road and you and your rear wheel may be parting ways. They're likely tired of replacing Another cracked frame. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Also, maybe remove the hanger to further inspect the drop out. But I'm guessing as others have said it's a goner. Sorry
Old 10-15-2019, 04:10 PM

I am working with the local dealer for a replacement but Cervelo is being very difficult about this. Everyone at the shop sees the crack and seems to have confidence that it would just be a replacement but Cervelo seems to be dragging their feet. It's really frustrating b/c (like almost everyone) I don't have money to throw at this problem. Also, I just want to be able to ride my bike. I am worried about what could happen if I keep riding this frame.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I am working with the local dealer for a replacement but Cervelo is being very difficult about this. Everyone at the shop sees the crack and seems to have confidence that it would just be a replacement but Cervelo seems to be dragging their feet. It's really frustrating b/c (like almost everyone) I don't have money to throw at this problem. Also, I just want to be able to ride my bike. I am worried about what could happen if I keep riding this frame.
What size bike do you ride?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:37 PM

I suppose you could lightly sand the paint to see if the crack is just in the paint or in the carbon. That may give you peace of mind or confirmation that it needs to be trashed or repaired.

Hasn't the warranty expired?

Last edited by djdj; 10-15-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
I suppose you could lightly sand the paint to see if the crack is just in the paint or in the carbon. That may give you peace of mind or confirmation that it needs to be trashed or repaired.

Hasn't the warranty expired?
Yeah but I'm guessing that if the OP goes that route Cervelo will claim it's no longer their issue.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:07 PM

How are you all so confident that it's not just paint?

I don't have a good solution for you, but I don't think the photo shows anything that is definitively a crack. Not saying its good, but you'd have to sand it down to know for sure.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Welcome to the battle of the 2nd tier bike brands of the bike biz. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, do a daily end around on the LBS and call, bring the LBS a 6 pack and have a laugh when cervelo eventually comes thru. Unfortunately the LBS can do nothing past a certain point. If you have a receipt and it's still in coverage, go to town. Keep track of names, dates and conversations

On my end, I always remind the rep that they would have an entirely different tone if they were customer facing

Unfortunately you will be without a bike for a while. Cervelo used to be one of the good ones, they suck at service now. Side affect of whenever venture capitalists get into bikes

Last edited by peanutgallery; 10-15-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 PM

I had something similar replaced in the past
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
What size bike do you ride?
I ride a 58. I think just a few weeks ago this site was drowning in nice 58cm frames. I missed my window.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
How are you all so confident that it's not just paint?

I don't have a good solution for you, but I don't think the photo shows anything that is definitively a crack. Not saying its good, but you'd have to sand it down to know for sure.
At the very least take the hanger off and see what it it looks like underneath. It could just be paint.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM

I have a friend that has had at least one. I think maybe 2 Cervelo's replaced without trouble. He's sold on their ride and customer service.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Are you the original owner?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 PM

I'm the original owner, registered with Cervelo, with a receipt, dealing with the local shop that sold me the frame (which is trying to be very helpful).

Basically, Cervelo doesn't think that is a crack. They think it is the paint. Honestly, that would be great, but I don't trust it. I think someone is either stubborn, or thinks their job is to reject warranty claims (in an attempt to create more Cervelo customers??)

I will see if it gets resolved this week. Worst case scenario is sending the frame to Cervelo to inspect in person (which is an absurd waste of time if you ask me) and picking up another frame to ride in the month that it will take them to inspect the frame (also absurd). I am not made of money and I won't really benefit from being frame-rich if I do get a warranty later on.

I am going to try to get in touch with Cervelo's customer service tomorrow. I have low expectations for that. I wish I could find a phone number to call.

**word of warning: I used to look at people's cracked bikes and think "what did that dumb*** do?" Now I am re-thinking that position.

ALSO

**I would also recommend never commenting to your girlfriend or really anyone within earshot about how happy you are with your bike at the moment...rookie mistake on my part.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 AM

58 cervelo

I have a cervelo s3 in 58. It is new old stock. I recieved it as warranty replacement on a r3sl issue. I d let it go cheap if interested.