Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM

OT: It's time to pay college athletes.

This seems like a step in the right direction:https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspi...1838001341/amp

Newsom is a moderate progressive and college jock. He'll sign it. Read an essay not too long ago by a couple of profs comparing the collegiate athletic system to apartheid - with the (almost) exclusively white administrators earning millions and the (almost) exclusively black athletes on bottom earning comparative peanuts for their sweat equity. Made a very compelling argument.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Maybe it's time for colleges to do what they are meant to do and get out of sports.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Maybe it is time for student amateur athletes to focus on good grades, earning a degree, getting a job, and paying student loans.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Maybe it's time for colleges to do what they are meant to do and get out of sports.
this. As a Penn Stater, I was a little shocked at how much football corrupted the university. But it corrupts even the universities with unsuccessful programs as well. And the scandals at MSU and Ohio State wrestling were even more shocking. No college president has ever been fired over wrestling or gymnastics. Pretty sure that is limited to football and basketball.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
There is too much money in college sports for this to happen. There are colleges that have 75% of their revenues coming from football and basketball.

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-12-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM
cmg

Sorry wrong toptic

"moment of fear for the predominantly white institutions whose collective multibillion-dollar revenues have been built largely on the exertions of (uncompensated) black athletes. The NCAA reported $1.1 billion in revenue for its 2017 fiscal year. Most of that money comes from the Division I men’s-basketball tournament. In 2016, the NCAA extended its television agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting through 2032—an $8.8 billion deal. About 30 Division I schools each bring in at least $100 million in athletic revenue every year. Almost all of these schools are majority white—in fact, black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players. "

since you brought up college and compensation of athletes here's another topic. What would happen to those Div 1 schools if they lost those black athletes because they decided to go to black schools instead and took those endorsements with them?

Last edited by cmg; 09-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
And public schools as well. Always money for sports, which benefit very few, but just try and hire reading teacher for elementary school and hear the "we can't afford it" cry from the district
Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Maybe it is time for student amateur athletes to focus on good grades, earning a degree, getting a job, and paying student loans.
hear hear

once again, American exceptionalism at its finest. Nowhere else in the world does this sort of masquerade go on. If the fans want their bread and circus and demand a collegiate team, do what they do in other countries and license out the school name (e.g. UANL in Liga MX, Católica and Universidad de Chile in Chilean first division). It's not too much further from what we have today (team composed mostly of players having no interested in academics), and certainly can't be more damaging to academics than what currently goes on.

--------------------------------------

that said, I applaud the effort in CA. About damn time the athletes get treated like employees. The documentary "Schooled" detailed lives ruined by collegiate sports, including one gentleman who suffered life-long paralysis that was the result of playing in NCAA sports. And here's the kicker, were he a minor leaguer, he'd have been able to claim workmen's comp. In this case, he was deemed a student athlete, and the university conveniently washed its hands.

Hypocrisy at its finest
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe; a little extreme but I can see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
In the words of Daniel Bryan, "Yes! Yes! Yes!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
this. As a Penn Stater, I was a little shocked at how much football corrupted the university. But it corrupts even the universities with unsuccessful programs as well. And the scandals at MSU and Ohio State wrestling were even more shocking. No college president has ever been fired over wrestling or gymnastics. Pretty sure that is limited to football and basketball.
Other sports, too but yes mainly football.

I agree there seems to be a gap with all this money money going to colleges, admins, etc. However, they are still STUDENTS and I can't, in my mind, justify paying them for playing a game while people like myself/wife/kids have to pay (instead of getting paid) to get an education. I know this is a result of how the system is set up currently but that doesn't make it right. Education first, athletics second.
My $0.02 and I will say nothing further.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM

This thread is already a train wreck. Predictable responses from old white men about how young people of color need to sit down and shut up. Might as well shut it down now.

Last edited by jtbadge; 09-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's a nice sentiment. But perhaps too utopian. Colleges have always been businesses. And the football and basketball programs, in particular, are the big moneymakers. They fund all the other programs. The athletes should be compensated accordingly.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:41 PM

Very few college sports programs can actually pay for them selves. It’s actually a shockingly small amount. I’ve never really followed sports so I really don’t care-
Old 09-12-2019, 01:42 PM

To clarify:

California is not proposing to pay its student-athletes.

It is proposing to allow them to sign endorsement deals and to prohibit state-run universities from disciplinary action against student-athletes who sign endorsement deals.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM

College athletes should get all the endorsement dollars they can get. They should get paid if they're in a revenue sport. Heck, the revenue sports should subsidize pay for non-revenue sports. Athletes should be able to transfer without penalty.

As money making enterprises, the concept of "student athlete" is Orwellian NCAA nonsense and should be treated as such.

Pay 'em.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:52 PM

No need to pay college athletes if good alternatives are available...

Obviously the hierarchy of big-time Football and Basketball will fight tooth and nail but there wouldn't be any need to pay college athletes if alternatives existed like the minors and junior programs of the other two major sports, Baseball and Hockey.

Also doesn't make sense that you lose you amateur status for the football and basketball when you're drafted. It's a punishment that's only in place to limit the life choices of predominantly needy athletes.

And gotta love how they allow college athletes to play other sports for money but keep their eligibility, but won't allow those same athletes to take endorsement money without losing eligibility. The Jeremy Bloom case comes to mind.

But agree, this thread will probably need to be shut down in 3, 2, ........