Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Sugar, love me some Bob.
Sugar. The tightest and possibly least attractive band of the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsAyegnKWI4

And das why we loved them.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM

that first sugar record was great...for sure...as for Bob, well, have a lot of history and many friends involved...I will just say Bob, like Neil , has his faults...Bob is about Bob...but then again he was even like that way back in the Husker days...always a bit of a control freak when it came to Grant and songwriting...but what the hell...haven't heard much interesting stuff for a bit tho from Bob...could be wrong...
Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 PM

Every Everything was enlightening, fascinating, heartbreaking and disturbing.

The disco club stuff Bob was doing was interesting. He's been in a holding pattern but the quality's there. Also, as a kid from a misogynistic, conservative background, BM normalized a whole way of being for me. The professional wrestling thing was weird tho.

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-20-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 PM

In the comforts of my own home I enjoy my stereo system. In My PU I enjoy the sound system playing whatever I can dial up which is not taking place in a nice quite atmosphere. I can't groove without tunes and I really don't care about the format. Sorry Neil.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Love the guy’s passion about what he’s passionate about. But, he probably made a lot, if not most, of his net worth when cassette tapes were the preferred format. Let’s not quibble about streaming audio quality 40 years later.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Some friends of mine in Sonic Y. opened for him at a festival in Belgium years ago...in the backstage area he was walking around and then he went into this little trailer to warm up for the show...just him and his acoustic in there with door open...so I pulled up a chair and sat outside, listening to him sing alone for 3 or 4 numbers...later, onstage I got to stand behind his amp...the crowd was pretty young and fairly lame...he kept turning around and asking "what's wrong with these ****ing kids?"
Don't keep us in suspense, who are your friends in SY?

I hope it isn't Kim AND Thurston, because that would make for some pretty awkward get-togethers.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Don't keep us in suspense, who are your friends in SY?

I hope it isn't Kim AND Thurston, because that would make for some pretty awkward get-togethers.
not trying to keep anyone in suspense...not at all as all fairly meaningless now...but certainly no reason in this thread to talk about my crap...I was in a band called Volcano Suns...we played with Husker Du, Minutemen and Sonics big black buttholes all the time and toured etc...so yes, all friends from long way back...same record labels etc and lots of time on road...long time ago...
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
not trying to keep anyone in suspense...not at all as all fairly meaningless now...but certainly no reason in this thread to talk about my crap...I was in a band called Volcano Suns...we played with Husker Du, Minutemen and Sonics big black buttholes all the time and toured etc...so yes, all friends from long way back...same record labels etc and lots of time on road...long time ago...
Serious street cred. I listened to your band but never saw you on tour. This so explains your sometimes curmudgeonly-ness. All is understood.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Cash: did you ever play The Rocket in Providence back in the day?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Very cool! I'm a big fan, that's a great band. If you were in the band when you toured with the Minutemen, I might very well have seen you--I saw the Suns on the Bright Orange tour in '85 or '86 (probably was '86), and possibly again (it all kind of blurs together). Both Bright Orange Years and All Night Lotus Party are great records, and your whole catalog is solid (I'm assuming you're not Peter Prescott or Bob Weston!). I've got a good friend who's also a big Suns fan.

Sounds as if you were in the band early, based on the other bands you mention, but if you don't feel like getting into it, no worries.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 PM

My cousin was the best man at Neil Young's daughter's wedding. He tells a story of sitting in the groomsmen room with Neil and trying to not sound or act like a super fan. He said he was a very good person.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:04 PM
don'TreadOnMe

Cash! Are you serious?!
Holy sh1t.
I wore that record out.
https://youtu.be/OLPS8ldoKc0
Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 PM

Always enjoy listening to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJesMSShH0
Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM

Back to Neil. He's got a gift and is one of the few performers that can hypnotize thousands of people with just an acoustic guitar and his voice.

As for sound quality, he's dead right. If you've never heard a great vinyl record on a superb system you haven't ever heard reproduced music in all its potential glory. And a great turntable/arm/cartridge doesn't wear out records. Records handled and played properly will far outlast CDs. And turntables don't crash, at least not in the same ways as digital storage media.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA