Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM

They’re that good...

I was planning on using G-Ones for a project but now I’m reconsidering. Would you still recommend steila for 70% road 30% trail?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
yup, i need em around 36 tops, maybe 33-35 would be sweet!
Schwalbe X-One Speed comes in 700x33. I've not used it and it's not the same tire, but I have used the 2.1" Thunder Burt EVO Liteskin and it's impressively supple and fast on and off pavement.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
I’m riding the standard casing version. Love them too! Did you encounter any seepage issues with the xl version? Also, how wide did they end up being on your rim. My rims are 21mm internal and they were true to size.

Congrats!
I posted above, just a hair under 40mm on HED Belgium+ after a few days to stretch with 37psi in them (50psi overnight the first night). No major seepage to speak of, a few small spots, but seemed to have stopped after the first night at high pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
They’re that good...

I was planning on using G-Ones for a project but now I’m reconsidering. Would you still recommend steila for 70% road 30% trail?
My bet is that they will wear fast on the road because the rubber feels soft. I don't have sufficient experience to be sure, but that's my gut.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
They’re that good...

Having ridden both tires 2000+ miles id say they're both amazing tires. They're both expensive and both ride really well on the road as well as trails. I'd say the larger knobs of the steilacooms are better on loose dirt and mud. My only gripe over the G-ones was that the little nubs wore out really quickly and are more prone to getting sliced up on rocky terrain.

While the steilacooms are not road tires, they roll so well that I've set PRs taking them on early season 80+ mile road rides between gravel events and not seeing the need swap tubeless tires for base training. The look on peoples faces when they see me riding knobbies is totally worth keeping them on. Riding on the road will wear both tires faster though.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Dang.....they're tad pricey comparatively speaking
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Dang.....they're tad pricey comparatively speaking
They are but in this case you do get what you pay for.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
personally i wish for the opposite, but i'm in the definite minority. i would love to see the steilacoom's in 33c or so.

can i ask what rim you were using the 38's on and what they actually measure out to?
https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-X-...imited-Edition

Very grippy in the gravel and uphill. Not as fast as Compass knobbie on paved but good enough for me. Supple. 35.1mm on a 22mm Inner.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Wow!! Rene Herse Steilacoom 38 gravel tire

That’s interesting...didn’t know it came in tan wall etc.
I used some version of the X-One for cx racing for a couple seasons and it worked really well. Cornered really well and handled most conditions, which is a plus for a keeping it simple. I wonder if the variant you linked is similar to the older version I was using...

Instagram
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
My bet is that they will wear fast on the road because the rubber feels soft. I don't have sufficient experience to be sure, but that's my gut.
Thank you everybody for the nice words! Here at Rene Herse Cycles, we're always excited when riders enjoy our products! I just want to give some info on the longevity of these tires when ridden on pavement.

The best modern tread rubbers are amazing – you can get great grip and amazing longevity. We've had customers ride their Steilacooms for 3000+ miles, mostly on pavement, and the knobs weren't worn away yet. 3000 miles is less than you'd get with our smooth-treaded all-road tires, but it's enough that you don't have to worry about wearing out your dual-purpose knobbies prematurely by riding them on pavement. I've only ridden the (slightly wider) Pumpkin Ridges for significant distances on pavement, and so far, they show almost no discernible wear after more than 500 miles, plus many more on gravel.

Thanks,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains
www.renehersecycles.com
Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Jan,

What's going on with restocking the Hurricane Ridge in the Endurance casing? These have been out of stock for a bit, but I would sure like to try a set for some of my upcoming plans.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
Thank you everybody for the nice words! Here at Rene Herse Cycles, we're always excited when riders enjoy our products! I just want to give some info on the longevity of these tires when ridden on pavement.

The best modern tread rubbers are amazing – you can get great grip and amazing longevity. We've had customers ride their Steilacooms for 3000+ miles, mostly on pavement, and the knobs weren't worn away yet. 3000 miles is less than you'd get with our smooth-treaded all-road tires, but it's enough that you don't have to worry about wearing out your dual-purpose knobbies prematurely by riding them on pavement. I've only ridden the (slightly wider) Pumpkin Ridges for significant distances on pavement, and so far, they show almost no discernible wear after more than 500 miles, plus many more on gravel.

Thanks,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com

Instagram
Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

I just rode this weekend on my Juniper Ridge tires, was like 57 miles, probabaly like 45 on pavement. They felt great, did not seem to slow me down. I really like these tires, so much that I am not going to put slicks for road ridding, just rock these at all times, They probably have 400 miles and they look brand new.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:00 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Well, three flats in and the glaring truth finally took hold, I, at 6'3" and 220 should not be riding extralight tires. Twice my sealant was dried up and I had to put in a tube, once they sealed up just fine, but I still took off the tire and patched the hole from the inside when I got home, it was pretty big. I knew when I bought them I should not be on extralights, but I think that was all they had in stock at the time, and it was the only way to get them in black. In any case, I still love the ride, and I just ordered the larger (42mm) Hurricane Ridges with the endurance plus protection. I wish they were not dark tan sidewalls, but I guess I'm OK with it. Jan, if you see the thread again, mine is one vote for you to offer either the endurance or endurance plus casing in all black.

Tried to order through a local shop, but no one can source them (one place tried) and for pretty expensive tires that are excluded from discounts I was shocked to see how much RH charges for shipping. Just to pass on a bit of a deal, Ben's Cycles stocks most RH tires in extralight casing, but they are happy to do a special order for other casings and at least they will give you free shipping and for PA they did not charge tax. Saved around $25 bucks. Can't wait to try these out in an even plusher size.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
I was shocked to see how much RH charges for shipping.
The shipping is calculated by the software based on the actual rates the carriers charge us. If the actual cost comes out to less than charged, we are one of the few companies that refund the difference.

One thing our software doesn't automatically do all the time is select the least expensive shipping method. So please try the different options – if you're in the U.S., we usually can ship you up to 6 tires (8 on the narrower models) in a Flat Rate Box for less than $ 15.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com

Last edited by Jan Heine; 11-13-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Has anyone ridden the endurance casing yet? I’m curious to hear a review!
Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM

The endurance plus tires are so slow I'm surprised they were released at all. The Panaracer GK SK tested significantly faster for the rolldowns I did on both pavement and gravel, as well as being more supple in sag testing. Very durable, very expensive tires are a curious offshoot with the performance-centric marketing for all the other RH tires so it'll be interesting to see if these stick.

It's hard to have anything other than positive thoughts for tires that cost $94 each but I'm curious to see if you're still happy with the more robust casings.

Tags
compass, rene herse, steilacoom