Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 PM

List of rackless, smaller handlebar bags

Hi, I was wondering who else makes smaller, lightweight handlebar bags. Not looking for a proper randonneuring setup that would require a small front rack, but rather something can be hung from road drops.

Rectangular:

Outer Shell (SF) Drawcord Handlebar Bag
RuthWorks Brevet Handlebar Bag
Andrew the Maker Granny's Pantry
Dill Pickle Gear Design Your Own Bag
North Street Pioneer 9/12
Dark Realm TBD Handlebar Bag
Porcelain Rocket (Calgary) Nigel
Relevate Egress Pocket
Ellum Bagworks (TX) Bar Crawler
Velo Orange Mini Rando (made by Road Runner)

Cylindrical:

Swift (Seattle) Bandito
Road Runner Burrito
Andrew The Maker BarBar Bag
Acorn Handlebar Bag
Carsick Designs Barrel Bag
R.E.Load (Philly) Snack Packs
Ornot Bar Bag (made by Rickshaw)
KaiVenture Bar Bags
TopoDesigns Bike Bag (triangular, but same idea...)
Donut Sack (Columbus, OH) Handlebar Bag

Overseas:

Cordel (Madrid, Spain) Durum - for anyone in Europe
Restrap (Leeds, England) Canister Bag

Please let me know if there are others!

Thanks!

Last edited by slowpoke; 03-18-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: updated and categorised list
Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Administrator

check out dill pickle. highly recommend. emily did a mod on a bag i owned a few years ago, and it came perfect. she's a seriously accomplished distance rider who knows her stuff with regards to bike bags...

http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 PM

I ride a Fog City bag and it's pretty nice for the basics.. I could use the Outershell...for a few more items. I ad a Revelate feed bag if I need extra room and it also fits my smaller camera.

Never cared for the tube style bags. I've tried them over the years but never worked for me access wise.

FWIW I melted a small hole in the bottom of the Fog City to let water run out as it's not exactly waterproof.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Still think this is the best small front handlebar bag https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...ts/the-bar-bag

Bags like the Swift Bandito, Road Runner Burrito and Andrew The Maker BarBar Bag all lack outer end pockets for on the fly handy access and quick jack or vest stuffing.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Still think this is the best small front handlebar bag https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...ts/the-bar-bag

Bags like the Swift Bandito, Road Runner Burrito and Andrew The Maker BarBar Bag all lack outer end pockets for on the fly handy access and quick jack or vest stuffing.
FWIW it looks like that is a rebadged rickshaw bag so you don’t have to wait for it to come back in stock.

I’m a huge Ruthworks fan. I’ll give that brevet bag a big thumbs up. I have a rando bag from Ely and he’ll customize/make any alteration you could need
Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 PM

the best handlebar bar is no longer made. It was the medium handlebar bag made by Acorn. I have one which I covet. The next best bag and the best bag I have found that you can buy is the handlebar bag by Ricksaw.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 AM
shimergo

I'm a fan of bags from Anza Bag Company (made locally here in SF).

https://anza-bag-company.myshopify.com/
Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 AM

The Berthoud 905 is very nice. It attaches with a KlickFix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32P046.jpg (60.0 KB, 1099 views)

Last edited by merckx; 05-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Bike Guy

Yanco Customs
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 AM

If you go the Klik fix route the Ortlieb Ultimate medium are great, and for functionality is far superior to anything that straps onto the bar. Definitely replace the stock bar mount with a Klik fix though. (The stock one is fine, but overdesigned and a pain to mount. Impossible to remount once you remove.) The bag is spaced away from fingers. Waterproof, has magnetic closure-open and close with one hand and snaps into place, shape of the top is such that you can squeeze much more than the stated 7L. You can orient it at the angle you want. Easy to unclip, grab by the bracket, and carry. My only criticism is that if you seriously overweight them they can bob slightly. A beefier bracket would fix that. I also own a Ruthworks which I use but is less functional.

If you are averse to the having a bracket mounted to your bars and dont go full rando you then have to deal with straps and/or and shock cords. I think the Dill Pickle has the best design of these. Also magnetic closure, trapezoid shape also supposedly leaves room for fingers. Tons of custom options for pockets, map/cue sleeve, etc. As Nick notes, designed and made by a serious randonneur. I dont have one of those but I have one of her saddle bags. Have seen the bar bags in the wild and they look awesome.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post

Yeah that is definitely the Rickshaw rebadged. That's a better design for access and the padding is nice. The problem for me is still the fact that I don't live in an arid environment and rain is a real issue for me. That's why I might need to have an OuterShell especially because of camera gear. I have a huge Arkel for full on touring but it's massive.

Good stuff here...
Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 AM

https://www.farsik.ca/shop/barbag

I prefer the farsik to the bandito it replaced - fastening system was quicker and retained more snug and the bag fabrication was higher quality - the bandito I had didn't seem to ever sit parallel - like it was made a little 'off' center.

Also made by a fellow Canadian, a great price and super quality.

FWIW
Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM

I need more coffee and forgot about this one. It's a good medium size and waterproof. More bag than you need for the average road ride but I find it useful. Can't have too many bags...

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...r/EgressPocket

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Ruth Works brevet bag for on the fly access, outer pockets (including one in front perfect for my fat cellphone with Otter Box case) and even a little clear pocket on top for a cue sheet that I still use so I don't fiddle too much with my Wahoo GPS. Great attachment system, simple straps for light load or additional optional elastic cords to stabilize if you're carrying something heavy like an SLR camera or additional full water bottles. Perfect size for day trips in changing weather conditions. What is it about SF and bag makers? How the heck do these small cottage businesses pay the rent?

Last edited by zennmotion; 05-09-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Ostrich makes a couple models, too. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Tags
bags, burrito, handlebar bags, randonneur