Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Has anyone ridden the endurance casing yet? I’m curious to hear a review!
We just did a review of the different casings on our blog at

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...-right-for-me/

I think the Endurance casing is a perfect allround tire for riders who enjoy the performance of Rene Herse tires, but whose riding style and terrain aren't suitable for the Extralights.

The Endurance Plus casing is a different matter altogether. It's really designed for durability first and foremost - you won't find a tougher gravel tire. The down side is that you inevitably give up some speed. I'd reserve the Endurance Plus for very special conditions.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains
www.renehersecycles.com

Last edited by Jan Heine; 11-13-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
The endurance plus tires are so slow I'm surprised they were released at all. The Panaracer GK SK tested significantly faster for the rolldowns I did on both pavement and gravel, as well as being more supple in sag testing. Very durable, very expensive tires are a curious offshoot with the performance-centric marketing for all the other RH tires so it'll be interesting to see if these stick.

It's hard to have anything other than positive thoughts for tires that cost $94 each but I'm curious to see if you're still happy with the more robust casings.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering the GravelKing Sks for a wide tire clearance bike. (Inner rims measuring 24c) Anyone else weigh in on the GravelKings that have also used Compass or the Resolutes?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering the GravelKing Sks for a wide tire clearance bike. (Inner rims measuring 24c) Anyone else weigh in on the GravelKings that have also used Compass or the Resolutes?
Never used Compass, but the GK's in 43 roll faster (by my carefully calibrated feel-meter) than the Resolutes. Resolutes were better on loose over hard or mud.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Jan, thanks for chiming in here. Any possibility of Steilacooms in 35s sometime in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
Thank you everybody for the nice words! Here at Rene Herse Cycles, we're always excited when riders enjoy our products! I just want to give some info on the longevity of these tires when ridden on pavement.

The best modern tread rubbers are amazing – you can get great grip and amazing longevity. We've had customers ride their Steilacooms for 3000+ miles, mostly on pavement, and the knobs weren't worn away yet. 3000 miles is less than you'd get with our smooth-treaded all-road tires, but it's enough that you don't have to worry about wearing out your dual-purpose knobbies prematurely by riding them on pavement. I've only ridden the (slightly wider) Pumpkin Ridges for significant distances on pavement, and so far, they show almost no discernible wear after more than 500 miles, plus many more on gravel.

Thanks,
Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com
Old 11-13-2019, 05:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Have only used Compass or RH in the slick 35 version so can't really comment. I would love to try some of their gravel offerings in the near future.

I got gravelkings 43 on my gravel bike, they are very good to excellent all around.

You can't go wrong with GKs.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Administrator

please please please in a 32-33!!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Sounds like I maybe should have gone with the endurance and not the endurance plus, ahh well, live and learn. I'm riding dirt/gravel roads and rocky trails here anyway, so maybe the endurance plus is actually the tire I need, but I sure loved the ride of the extralights.

Thanks for the info Jan.

Quote:
We just did a review of the different casings on our blog at

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...-right-for-me/

I think the Endurance casing is a perfect allround tire for riders who enjoy the performance of Rene Herse tires, but whose riding style and terrain aren't suitable for the Extralights.

The Endurance Plus casing is a different matter altogether. It's really designed for durability first and foremost - you won't find a tougher gravel tire. The down side is that you inevitably give up some speed. I'd reserve the Endurance Plus for very special conditions.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com
Old 11-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Interesting, I hope to try some RH tires someday. Another blog lists a price increase as "the dollar has lost its value" vs EU, JPY, and TWD over the last five years, well, not exactly (TWD is flat, others are down v USD)..
Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM

What size do the Steilacoom 38s measure once they are mounted? Same for question for the hurricane ridge? Rims used are the Hed Belgium Plus

thanks
Old 01-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Deconditioned!

I have the Rat Trap (26") XL casing on my burrito slayer. I grin like a fool.

My buddy has the Babyshoe (42) XL (650b) on his Ebisu and grins almost more than me. I'm ordering the same for my Kona Rove.

These tires are simply awesome.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteiker View Post
What size do the Steilacoom 38s measure once they are mounted? Same for question for the hurricane ridge? Rims used are the Hed Belgium Plus

thanks
The standard casing measured exactly 38mm if not a bit smaller on my 21mm (internal width) rims.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
The standard casing measured exactly 38mm if not a bit smaller on my 21mm (internal width) rims.
If you still have them mounted is there any chance you could measure the height from the ground to the centre of the wheel axle?

Asking as I'm considering new frame options with a lower bb.

Last edited by owly; 01-02-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: txt
Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 PM

I sure can, but I’m currently in Tucson. So it will have to wait until I get back to SF next week.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:14 AM
ferro verum est

How would these compare to the Gravel King EXT, the loose conditions model?
Old 01-03-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
One thing our software doesn't automatically do all the time is select the least expensive shipping method. So please try the different options – if you're in the U.S., we usually can ship you up to 6 tires (8 on the narrower models) in a Flat Rate Box for less than $ 15.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com
I have tremendous respect for Jan Heine and both the products he produces as well as his outstanding publication - Bicycle Quarterly. In my mind he is without question a pioneer and innovator that has championed “All Road” bikes long before the mainstream bike industry jumped on board.

But now even more so! To be concerned about shipping rates and to go to the effort to save his customers money.... that’s way above and beyond in today’s commercial world.

A true friend and advocate for the cycling world.

Tags
compass, rene herse, steilacoom