Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I'm glad they checked themselves but I don't think I'll use them anymore. I'm sick of the whole private equity thing. I worked for a smaller business a few years back that was started out in a guys basement in Toronto about 25 years ago.. It was a pretty good company to work for despite the normal headaches associated with a small company.

About 8 years ago the company got bought by a private equity group. It went downhill fast.
not all private equity firms are the same. The ones labelled as vultures (actually, that's demeaning the valuable role vultures play in the eco-system) are cynical and amoral (if not immoral), buying companies with debt on the books of the targeted company, stripping the targeted company of all valuable assets, and then jettisoning the remnant husk before repeating the process on another company. Others are more into the sustainable route (e.g. taking a public company private and shielding it from the whims of investors, etc). Without more info, we just don't know which applies to the parent company of Backcountry.

Also, I hope those who are up in arms about Backcountry are equally irate about Nuun, Canyon Bikes, and Stumptown Coffee (all owned by the same PE firm)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Better yet buy local, just picked up 1lb of Guatemalan from local roaster riding my Firefly, thinking of setting appt up with nutritionist...
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 PM

Well, I guess the reaction of the consumer public stung a bit:

“We Made A Mistake”

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...eid=de7cf43d90
Old 11-08-2019, 12:29 AM

More blowback and a blunt critique of the 'apology'.

https://blisterreview.com/industry-n...ackcountry-com
Old 11-08-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
not all private equity firms are the same. The ones labelled as vultures (actually, that's demeaning the valuable role vultures play in the eco-system) are cynical and amoral (if not immoral), buying companies with debt on the books of the targeted company, stripping the targeted company of all valuable assets, and then jettisoning the remnant husk before repeating the process on another company. Others are more into the sustainable route (e.g. taking a public company private and shielding it from the whims of investors, etc). Without more info, we just don't know which applies to the parent company of Backcountry.

Also, I hope those who are up in arms about Backcountry are equally irate about Nuun, Canyon Bikes, and Stumptown Coffee (all owned by the same PE firm)
True, true, I'm sure there are some good PE groups out there. I like Stumptown but my go to is Illy which I think is still family owned. So I'm good to go there.

Last edited by 45K10; 11-08-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:19 AM

Patrick O'Grady really skewers TSG Partners, the originators of the Backcountry lawsuit, HERE. A real gut buster!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
How would you feel about someone Trademarking a very commonly used cycling term like "paceline"?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...810:1a3ijg.7.1

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Backcountry is a fine online retail outfit. There are some better and some worse, but they got a little too beat up over standard business practice.
It’s funny that you mention this. The moderators have authorized me to disclose that an application for registration of the mark PACELINE has been filed by the forum for use in international class 38 telecommunications services. The description of the relevant services is “[p]roviding an on-line forum for bicycle enthusiasts to discuss bicycling and bicycles, among other things.” The application for registration is pending, but should be accepted within the month.

Once the mark is registered, the forum owner will be able to enforce his rights and challenge uses of the PACELINE that are confusingly similar or falsely suggest an endorsement by the forum. Thus, for example, were a former member of the forum (who was banned for being a jerk and repeatedly posting inappropriate content) to set up a fraudulent Instagram account using the name “The Paceline Forum,” the forum would be able to send Instagram a takedown notice and take recourse against the ex-forum member.

Polyhistoric, if you want, drop me a PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 AM

Ah, the power of the internet,or at least pissed off people willing to make a fuss. BC appears to have, uh, er, backed down.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/08/fri...ing-sale-more/

Tim
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Ah, the power of the internet,or at least pissed off people willing to make a fuss. BC appears to have, uh, er, backed down.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/08/fri...ing-sale-more/

Tim
this "apology" isn't.

also really funny that the folks really moving the needle on this (eg, the firm offering free re-brands for those who got bent over) are ex-BC employees.

it's a toxic place. i don't know many people who are former employees who'd say differently.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 AM

I shop BC and CC extensively. I do this because nobody else can match their selection, price, service and delivery. I cant guarantee to agree with every store owner I shop at, or do I even know their opinions on certain subjects, so why would BC's attempt to patent their name matter? Its a giant online business and its problems no different than a mom and pop, just bigger.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:26 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
this "apology" isn't.

also really funny that the folks really moving the needle on this (eg, the firm offering free re-brands for those who got bent over) are ex-BC employees.

it's a toxic place. i don't know many people who are former employees who'd say differently.
Is it possible to use different language that doesn't imply sexual assault?
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
Trademark lawyer here... treading carefully. The law requires trademark owners to take steps to protect their brand not only from infringement but also from dilution. If you allow multiple third-parties to adopt similar names for similar or related services, after time your own mark becomes worthless. How you define similar/related services is the key question. One thing to note is that the "lawsuits" are not actually Federal Court cases, but administrative matters that relate only to the ability to REGISTER a trademark. One strategy for companies with a commonly used word for a traademark is often that they allow others to use marks, but not register.

I would not boycott a company solely for enforcing trademark rights - there is often a lot more to the story than is being said. This could also be the PE influx actually gives them a legal budget to do something they wanted by had no means to accomplish before. Poor customer service and other reasons are good material for boycott.
Agree, seems to much like 'cutting of nose to spite face' stuff..I think some, without all the info, is making something inconvenient for them, when the seller cares not one bit.
I know a guy who chose to NOT TM his product's name, because of the $...he got a cease and desist letter from some BOZO from Spain...this person had no product, just looking for $, a settlement....he would have saved much $ in the long run if he had just TM his product's name.

I buy ammo from WallMart...I know lots who do the 'I'll show THEM', when WM decided to stop, even tho they still have lots on their shelves...silly, imho, to travel farther and spend more $. I guess if it makes the buyer feel better, but that's what boycotts mostly do anyway...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-11-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Is it possible to use different language that doesn't imply sexual assault?
Thanks.
Jesus.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Jesus +1