Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 PM

PSA: avoid going to Cyclingnews.com

I was reading the articles on there re: Garrison's signing with Don Lefevere's set-up, only to be redirected to a phishy website (purporting to be Microsoft security, something the other). It was so obviously fake that I didn't bother, but I had some trouble closing the window and relaunching.

The iOS version was always screwy, as one would often be redirected to one of those "You've won $1,000 giftcard" sites, but this is the first time I experienced it on Windows. My guess is that its IT security is more porous than Swiss cheese.

Beware
Old 10-24-2019, 03:33 PM

I have noticed the same thing. Initially I figured it was something they would address immediately but it has been going on for months. Definitely be aware of it.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I have an adblocker and haven't had any issues. I also use Ghostery to block individual tags. You can block popups and block notifications at the browser level by default, that may help too. My guess is that you'd have better control/privacy/security in firefox.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:51 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I have an adblocker and haven't had any issues. I also use Ghostery to block individual tags. You can block popups and block notifications at the browser level by default, that may help too. My guess is that you'd have better control/privacy/security in firefox.
zero issues using FF
Old 10-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
fwiw, I was using firefox. That said, I'll turn on ad-blocker on Cyclingnews from now on.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I was reading the articles on there re: Garrison's signing with Don Lefevere's set-up, only to be redirected to a phishy website (purporting to be Microsoft security, something the other). It was so obviously fake that I didn't bother, but I had some trouble closing the window and relaunching.

The iOS version was always screwy, as one would often be redirected to one of those "You've won $1,000 giftcard" sites, but this is the first time I experienced it on Windows. My guess is that its IT security is more porous than Swiss cheese.

Beware
And NEVER go to the forums, 'General' section and US politics unless ya want to wrestle with some of the 'pigs'...BUT, with Imac, never had an issue.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Ad blocker on Chrome. Never had this happen with CN..... yet.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Adblockers should help, seems these sort of bugs mostly coming from mal-written script hidden in the ads.

I use FF and have one ad-blocker running, but still got the conspicuously-fake "Microsoft" message page that took over my machine until I turned off the power. Source was I believe from a local newspaper website, as the same thing happened a few days later while visiting the same Sacramento Bee website. I notified them about it.
It was a ransomware type of thing and I forget how the monetary request went(?). The obvious tip-offs were the overly-dramatic/presumptive message about how my bank accounts might already be getting cleaned out (LOL), a full-screen takeover with bold red borders (give me a break) intended to elicit panic, and a couple of lines of text which seemed to be compiled in less than perfect English language.
My computer guy says it was pretty much harmless, though some actors may persist in locating your machine's weaknesses.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Vpn

CN is slow to load
but no issues with VPN
Old 10-25-2019, 10:19 PM

I'm using the Brave browser which pretty well eliminates those sorts of problems.

Runs like Chrome optimized by someone with an interest in privacy and security and preventing tracking. Which is exactly what it is.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
fwiw, I was using firefox. That said, I'll turn on ad-blocker on Cyclingnews from now on.
I never fall on the traps of "Please turn off your ad-block because we are small little...." before because the truth is, there are millions more who will do it for free and I don't care if they go out of business. Most of the time their adds are too invasive and they are making too much money out of their asses nowadays anyways.