Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Vendor

The Columbus minimal is a great fork... at least for me. It's light and works great in a steel frame. I'm a pretty light guy though, so YMMV.

But anyway, who cares about that fork.... I'm more entertained by a guy arguing about Reynolds forks with the guy who actually made Reynolds forks.

Reynolds UL was a spectacular fork BTW.... have two on my workbench as we speak.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM

Wow....

It always amazes me how two folks can read something or look at an object and and then disagree on what was read or seen.

As the other chap surmised I was simply trying to provide accurate information about the different models of the forks, how they were made so you could tell them apart, and the story behind the recall.

I don't believe at any point I said that you could never have owned a 1" Ouzo Pro. We made over 100k of them so lots of folks had them. I haven't looked back at my previous post but I may have said you couldn't have had a 1" UL.

If you found my "Uh..negative" title line offensive I apologize. It was made in jest in response to your "that is incorrect sir" comment.

No sparring, one upmanship, or anything else was intended but to share the facts of the product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I think we are talking about two different things here. I'm not looking at the UL versus standard or other iterations - I think you are being more precise than me, and that was not my intent. In fact, upon review, I think that's the origin of our disagreement. I didn't delineate between whatever standard model there was and the UL.

I did own an Ouzo Pro that had a 1" steerer tube. The one in the Ebay ad clearly shows a manufacturer's decal that denotes a 1" tube, unless you are saying that it's a counterfeit. I haven't read any information on Ebay or elsewhere - it's there in black and white. And I owned one. Although years of contact sport killed a few brain cells, I didn't hallucinate it.

At this point I'm not sure what we are trying to accomplish other than perhaps one-upmanship.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Well stated, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
It always amazes me how two folks can read something or look at an object and and then disagree on what was read or seen.

As the other chap surmised I was simply trying to provide accurate information about the different models of the forks, how they were made so you could tell them apart, and the story behind the recall.

I don't believe at any point I said that you could never have owned a 1" Ouzo Pro. We made over 100k of them so lots of folks had them. I haven't looked back at my previous post but I may have said you couldn't have had a 1" UL.

If you found my "Uh..negative" title line offensive I apologize. It was made in jest in response to your "that is incorrect sir" comment.

No sparring, one upmanship, or anything else was intended but to share the facts of the product line.
Such is the irony of an internet forum.

On a board currently comprising 22,236 members, in terms of technical issues/questions responded to with clear, correct, and eloquently stated facts delivered without further agendas, rather than blustery opinions or even outright mis-information, there are 8, maybe 10, perhaps 15 maximum members I implicitly trust 100% of the time, knowing I can bank on that knowledge as well as how (precisely, politely, etc.) it has been conveyed. These people are such a great resource. Would that there were more.

Mike Lopez is definitely one of those 8-10, and always has been.

(And, given Newton’s Third Law, there is of course a reciprocal list, albeit one which technically refutes the equation aspect of the Third.)

Also, in this context: Happy Birthday today to Carl Strong.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
I have the 1" carbon steerer version you're looking at. it clears 28 on wide rims easily. in my opinion it is quite stiff; too stiff for me. but I am a lightweight.

I found it stiff enough that I had to switch my beloved thin fizik tape for some parts bin cork stuff. Been running it for about 3 years now, just fine. I got it for a great price from this Italian place, cicli Corsa.

I've been watching this one for a while, looks nice and clean. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hylix-One-I...53.m1438.l2649 probably comes from one of the major factories all these things are made out of
Are you talking about the 1" Columbus Minimal fork?
Old 08-30-2020, 09:00 PM

yes.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:14 PM

I have one that I put on my 97 Litespeed classic. It replaced an Alpha Q. I think i preferred the alpha Q, but probably like you, I came to the same conclusion that it's the best readily available/suitable replacement. I've been happy with it. Totally satisfied here.

I have 25s on wide rims measuring 28 and there is plenty of space, I would guess 30s fit fine. 32 might push it but I'd never know because my frame won't fit them.

In this photo 28s are displayed a Velocity A23 rims. (18mm ID). still plenty of room on the fork for bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.12.55 PM.jpg (92.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Zackus; 08-30-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 PM

That’s a nice-looking fork. Too bad there aren’t more curved options available, particularly for long reach brakes.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
There was a “light” version of the original Ouzo Pro but that was never recalled. It was available in 1” or 1-1/8”.

The fork that was recalled was the UL and was only available in 1-1/8”

Why do I know this as fact? I built all the tooling and the molds only made 1-1/8” steerers. There was no way to make 1” steerers in them.

The two models of forks were made with slightly different processes. The original OP series of forks used pre cured steerer tubes comolded into the fork body as a secondary process. As such, we could change inserts in the molds to accept either size steerer tube and also skew the angle of insertion to achieve the desired rake. A single mold could make forks with either steerer, including steel in the early daze, and rakes from 38 to 52 mm. These forks used the original dropouts and the legs were oval at the bottom.

The UL forks were true 1 piece forks where the steerer was laid up at the same time as the fork body and all cured in one shot. The molds were twice as long/heavy and since we couldn’t skew the insertion angle of a pre cured steerer each mold only made 1 rake. These forks used a radically different dropout and the legs were round at the bottom.

Trust me, it’s true. Regardless of what misinformation you may have read on eBay or elsewhere.
Still have the Ouzo and have had two others on my bikes. They were excellent.