Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Good suggestions above, especially the ones about building strength.

I’d add what hasn’t yet been mentioned: if you drink, refrain. Alcohol slows recovery of PF, I’ve found.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
Twenty year sufferer here and I have tried almost everything except shock wave therapy. From physio therapy (multiple times), taping arches, stretching, frozen water bottle, tennis ball rolling, splint/cast, orthotics, the most painful massage that I have ever experienced, and acupuncture that was worse than the massage. I have finally given up. The last doctor prescribed shockwave therapy and low and behold he happened to own the machine. Looked up a meta-analysis on shockwave therapy and read it is no better than placebo. I wasn't going to spend the two grand for that. Good luck on finding something that works for you. I only wish I could find some relief.
That kind of thing is so stupid frustrating when they put you through a treatment regimen that's never been proven to work.

6-7 years ago I got tendonitis (golfer's elbow really) in my elbows after a nerve injury in my hand from riding. I went to months of PT that didn't help at all, maybe made it worse. Stuff like Ultrasound on the muscles.. which has never been proven to do anything. So insanely frustrating. At the time they didn't actually have anything that actually worked.

I've gotten it again this year unfortunately from rock climbing.. nowhere near as bad, but the great thing is they do now have a treatment regimen that has been proven to work. I'm doing it on my own though, no point in paying the big bucks for the doctor/PT because it's an easy program and I already had the needed resistance equipment.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:55 AM

Shock wave therapy

Noticed that shock wave therapy is getting bad-mouthed in this thread. My experience is waaay counter to that. Was desperate - nothing else worked.
Pulled the trigger and was instantly cured and PF hasn't been back in the 15+ years since. Only catch is getting your insurance to cover it. YMMV
Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
Any success stories out there?
I've been hobbling around like a cow with a broken hoof for about 2 months now.
Saw an Ortho and am doing the stretching exercises but seeing little improvement.
Have been wearing a foot brace at night but getting out of bed in the morning is still an excruciating experience.
Bikes are gathering dust and New York is a walking town. Anyone successfully treat their condition?
I had it years ago...didn't need to seek professional help, but just using insoles with good arch support really helped. Worked well for walking around, but going barefoot and such still had twinges.

It took a couple years to completely go away. but I am still very conscious of buying supportive shoes that can take inserts.

I wear these around the house now: Vionic Kiwi Slide

Pretty sure I got it from painting interior of our first house ....hardwood floors and I was in socks most the time (to not get paint on shoes and not rip plastic drop cloths). Feet were really sore at end of day....seemed to flare up sometime after that.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:11 PM
head to toe Assos

Thanks everyone for the great comments - especially all the encouragement.
I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
John