Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you buy made to measure cycling kit?
No - I am ok with standard sizing (S/M/L/XL) 29 60.42%
Maybe - depends on the price 10 20.83%
Yes - definitely something I'd consider (assuming price similar to other high end kits) 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Breathe Velo isn't a true custom, is it? You still pick a size based on chest dimensions or something similar in your closet..It's not like a custom suit, made specifically for you, one item at a time..or am I missing something?

There are places that make a custom, one at a time, jersey using measurements from an individual?

I never knew..after almost 40 years in this daffy biz, I never heard of such a thing..

In the simplest fashion yes.

But, I have them make me stuff starting with their basic size that is close but then adjust some dimensions to fit my odd body dimensions and preferences (for instance I like bibs/shorts shorter, things tighter in areas and looser in areas than common). It takes longer for them to make it and they charge an up charge but I have been very happy with their work. And their quality is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 AM

As a person with a long torso and monkey arms, I would definitely consider it.

In terms of how well it would work, I have been very curious lately about the business models of Donkey Label and Eliel and how they source materials and tech and done some reading and sourcing research.

With the ability to custom print graphics, by the piece the idea of being able to make pieces made to measure and adjust standard patterns by a dimension or two is relatively easy. Unlike a suit, which has fabrics and construction techniques that don't have much give, spandex / lycra based materials are a bit more forgiving in terms of measuring errors and getting a good fit. I am sure it may take a try or two to get the perfect fit, but the clothing won't be a total waste or crap.

My experience with custom suits is that the first took a few fittings to get right, but now my tailor knows what has to be done before I come in for the final fitting so the suit is pretty much 95% percent there. It is that last 5% that makes the biggest difference though.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM

At 6'4" and 180ish pounds I found it impossible to find stock sizing bib shorts that fit as they should. I then took a chance and bought a custom pair of Boure made-to-measure bibs. I liked the first pair so much I bought a second....and a third.

So yes....I'd happily buy custom fit clothing.

dave
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback.....more or less what I'd expect, as the M2M stuff isn't for everyone. The final fitting is the biggest question mark in my mind, especially since it's all being done remote (shipping back and forth). If it was in person it's much easier to do. But I also see how once you get the fit dialed it would be a great option to have....just choose your fabric and/or colors and have it sent do you without worrying about fit.

His company is raising funds via Kickstarter for the first pattern loads (apparently around $10k) and focusing on the Tri-crowd initially.

Will pass along more info here for those interested if/when they pivot over and are ready with cycling kit. I'm going to try and get a sample and will report back as well.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Thanks for the feedback.....more or less what I'd expect, as the M2M stuff isn't for everyone. The final fitting is the biggest question mark in my mind, especially since it's all being done remote (shipping back and forth). If it was in person it's much easier to do. But I also see how once you get the fit dialed it would be a great option to have....just choose your fabric and/or colors and have it sent do you without worrying about fit.

His company is raising funds via Kickstarter for the first pattern loads (apparently around $10k) and focusing on the Tri-crowd initially.

Will pass along more info here for those interested if/when they pivot over and are ready with cycling kit. I'm going to try and get a sample and will report back as well.
Link to the KS?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Link to the KS?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iption?lang=fr