Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danesgod View Post
My NatGeo map "suggests" that Butano Fire Road is impassible between Butano State Park and Big Basin, no one has ever mentioned this...?
Oh, I thought you knew. There's a stretch between Butano State Park and Boy Scout Camp that is private property (though I believe it's in the process of being incorporated into the park and will be open officially to cyclists in the not-too-distant future). There is an easement for official vehicles, but technically bikes aren't allowed. It's poached semi-regularly, and not as sketchy as trying to poach old haul rd, but as of right now, it's not officially okay to bike there.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Oh, I thought you knew. There's a stretch between Butano State Park and Boy Scout Camp that is private property (though I believe it's in the process of being incorporated into the park and will be open officially to cyclists in the not-too-distant future). There is an easement for official vehicles, but technically bikes aren't allowed. It's poached semi-regularly, and not as sketchy as trying to poach old haul rd, but as of right now, it's not officially okay to bike there.
Thanks for the information!

Current route is looking kind of like: https://goo.gl/maps/sz65gkKYtPi3As8v7

I'm still tweaking the route trying to optimize.

It removes some of the gravel, but also brings it closer to something I might finish without limping into the driveway.

The other option I'm considering, though very different, is another mega-MTB day. maybe 50 on the FS mtb... Kind of depends if I can recruit any friends to do parts of the road ride.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information!

Current route is looking kind of like: https://goo.gl/maps/sz65gkKYtPi3As8v7

I'm still tweaking the route trying to optimize.

It removes some of the gravel, but also brings it closer to something I might finish without limping into the driveway.

The other option I'm considering, though very different, is another mega-MTB day. maybe 50 on the FS mtb... Kind of depends if I can recruit any friends to do parts of the road ride.
Route looks great! I'd ride it with you if it is on a Sunday (Saturday is Low Key Hill Climbs til Thanksgiving) For a mega-MTB and if the weather holds, you could hit Henry Coe and see how far you get before dying.. admittedly I just ride it on my gravel bike.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:55 PM
v a n i l l a

... ignore - I was going the wrong way.

Last edited by pdmtong; 10-22-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:59 PM

I would recommend refueling in BB Park and then riding the north exit out of the park. You lose mileage but you gain riding quality and scenery. If you need more miles consider Skyline to Bear Creek/Los Gatos.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I would recommend refueling in BB Park and then riding the north exit out of the park. You lose mileage but you gain riding quality and scenery. If you need more miles consider Skyline to Bear Creek/Los Gatos.
Yeah, that's an obvious move. If he cut out that unnecessary step going to boulder creek, he could add in Purissima on the other end and get more dirt and a much better ride overall.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Jokes on the dude that lives at312 Camille! I was actually trying to drag it to an arbitrary intersection near that Jack in the Box, accidentally came to that address, so hey, internet lurkers, that's not me!

I did Mt. Um up on road: Hicks->Mt Um Rd->(sneaky sneaky)->Loma Prieta Road, then descended gravel down the back: Loma Prieta->Summit. FABULOUS ROUTE. The end of that ride from Watsonville->Monterey was ****ty by comparison.

[I am looking carefully at everyone's suggestions.]

My NatGeo map "suggests" that Butano Fire Road is impassible between Butano State Park and Big Basin, no one has ever mentioned this...?
Haha. Well when you start your ride knock on the door and tell that guy I’m gonna copy your route once I find some time to do an all day ride in the South Bay
Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM
#RYFB

Please feel free to ignore this, as nearly all my riding in the area is road, not gravel…

But personally I would gladly trade off a few miles and choose to ride on 246 through the gorgeous section of Big Basin instead of slogging up Highway 9. I rode it in the reverse direction from the 9/35 intersection through Big Basin and into Boulder Creek last month and was reminded what a beautiful and fun section that is. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Good points! I've climbed out of big basin before and it is indeed gorgeous. Hearing people saying 9 isn't worth doing will make me re-route that section for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I've already done MV->Los Gatos->Bear Creek->Big Basin->Saratoga Gap

However, your point is noted
Old 10-22-2019, 05:23 PM

If you don't mind a little poachery, you can do the dirt fire road next to Hwy 9 on the way up - Saratoga Toll Rd.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415km View Post
PS, John Nicholas trail in Sanborn is a great way up and can be connected to big basin via Bear Creek
from Saratoga, do you mean:

Hwy 9->Sandborn Rd->John Nicolas Trail (switchbacks West)->35?
-or-
Hwy 9->Sandborn Rd->John Nicolas Trail (southeast)->Black Rd?
-or-
Something else?

In case anyone is following along, I'm now considering saving Butano for another ride, and trying to ride ~70 miles with friends (they aren't down for 100). So I'd do a Alpine dirt-Page loop alone early in the morning, then meet back up with friends and do the Big Basin ride (a ride they were itching to do anyway): https://goo.gl/maps/E7TGWA8VVF8jydyp8

Keeps the elevation under 10k. Only downside is that the only "new" riding for me is 9->35 via John Nicholas. The benefit of less new stuff means I'm more likely to have good pacing and finish/finish well. The downside is its not as adventurous...

Still plotting.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:36 AM

(I hope you don't mind more suggestions.)

Instead of lower highway 9 consider: 236, China Grade, 236 to/or from Boulder Creek.