Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
What I find interesting is there's another thread on Dave Kirk's gothic frame and how people are raving about it!

Yet, everyone rags on the Calfee's gusset/webbing lugs as "fugly."

I'm a Calfee owner and have ridden it for like 20 years and over 30K miles. Last year, I picked up a used Trek Madone 700 and put etap on it. Wow, what a difference. I think the main difference is how much lighter the new carbon frames from Trek, Giant and just about anyone else is compared to the Calfee. Calfees are built like tanks in comparison.

Craig needs to come out with a new lightweight model with superthin tubing like the latest carbon frames.

Good Luck!
Totally was wondering the same thing! Had one for a few months that was just too small for me but loved the aesthetics and ride quality, so I had to sell. I was just eyeing a Calfee on the local Craigslist...so tempted!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Form and function, the webbing and lugs are defined by their unusual fabrication process! It is the bike's authentic, evolved character. Seems to be polarizing with buyers, many of whom don't know these were the first winning carbon frames in the TDF.
Reliability of these bikes is excellent from all that I have seen.

I recently bought the 20th production Carbonframes frame made, and may target this one for a 1X build to deal with the chainline issue of the early bikes.
It's been re-sprayed with newer branding by them, so I'm less concerned about it's originality (was originally fitted with early Chorus with DT levers).

Last edited by dddd; 04-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 AM

tetra pro

I've ridden a used Tetra pro with Vecchio's stickers all over it for 10 years and it's still going strong. My parts are never the lightest, but when I put it up against my '17 Tarmac Pro its a toss up in a lot of categories.

I've beaten the heck out of it too. Great bike.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Wait until Ryan H gets one. If he can make Litespeed sexy....
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I'm a Calfee owner and have ridden it for like 20 years and over 30K miles. Last year, I picked up a used Trek Madone 700 and put etap on it. Wow, what a difference. I think the main difference is how much lighter the new carbon frames from Trek, Giant and just about anyone else is compared to the Calfee. Calfees are built like tanks in comparison.

Craig needs to come out with a new lightweight model with superthin tubing like the latest carbon frames.

Good Luck!
Is it even meaningful to compare complete bikes with 20+ years difference?
That SHOULD equate to several pounds!

How much more does Craig's current lightest frame weigh than the new Trek that you have?
Which one is mass-produced in China and which one is hand-made in California, USA?
Last weekend I was working on a Madone with pressfit bearings that were loose-fitting even with the OS bearings that Enduro supplied. I was less than thrilled to have to install the bearings with adhesive and heat-cure the assembly before the cranks could even be installed. The Trek also showed extensive paint separation at many of it's hidden joints, which was downright frightening in appearance.
I'm not anti-Trek at all, but it is a different world from a Calfee frame imo.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Is it even meaningful to compare complete bikes with 20+ years difference?
That SHOULD equate to several pounds!

How much more does Craig's current lightest frame weigh than the new Trek that you have?
Which one is mass-produced in China and which one is hand-made in California, USA?
Last weekend I was working on a Madone with pressfit bearings that were loose-fitting even with the OS bearings that Enduro supplied. I was less than thrilled to have to install the bearings with adhesive and heat-cure the assembly before the cranks could even be installed. The Trek also showed extensive paint separation at many of it's hidden joints, which was downright frightening in appearance.
I'm not anti-Trek at all, but it is a different world from a Calfee frame imo.
Trek 7 Series are made in the USA btw.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Per my Grail request for a Calfee (or Crumpton), I think Calfees are unique in that they are a carbon version of a steel bike. I agree that theyre dated looking (but in the way a Kirk looks 'dated' because it uses lugs), though when I see new ones in a subdued finish, they ooze quality. I have seen a few around town, plus saw some at NAHBS in Denver, and I don't think it can be argued that they aren't high quality.

The 'unfinished' perception of the lugs is (to me) a mark of craftsmanship. Where a Tarmac or Madone is elegant and sculpted, it is clear how a Calfee is manufactured. Its an architectural thing.

I think he's an innovator, but on a micro scale (in the same way that e_Ritchie has pioneered new tubing and lug technology). He isn't reinventing how carbon frames are made, but refining something that has a long history of being good quality (as evidence by all the feedback here).

Still, if it doesn't float your boat, there's not much you can do. They are unique looking in the world of carbon.

Last edited by d_douglas; 04-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:18 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Riding a Tetra Pro for years. Lots of Calfee love here. Oh, and I think the lugs are cool (was always a fan of The Creature from the Black Lagoon).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81F5IWDW9dL._SX355_.jpg (16.2 KB, 479 views)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
Trek 7 Series are made in the USA btw.

Not anymore. Production was moved to Taiwan and now the 7 series P1 are “finished” in Waterloo. NTTAWWT, but it is what it is.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Seen the Manta Pro in person at a couple NAHBS now. Photos don't do it justice. If it rides half as good as it looks, its a killer carbon bike.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Big Bike Love

I've been riding my Tetra since 2001 and it shows no signs of aging under MY aging legs. I can see why folks might think Calfee is on it's last legs from hanging out on this forum (not talked about much), but on my last two visits, the factory was surprisingly busy building new bikes and had plenty of boxed bikes waiting to be shipped. There appears to be a clueless segment of the population that hasn't heard how outdated they are (and how inferior they are to mass produced Chinese CF frames). I was surprised to read of the characterization of Craig. I don't doubt anyone's experiences, but I've met him twice and he was very friendly and engaging and put up with my questions while I'm sure he had other things he needed to be doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CALF2.jpg (95.9 KB, 455 views)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I don't doubt Mr. Kirk's fab abilities in the slightest but that brazing web is worse than the carbon web, form and function-wise.

Met Craig a couple of times and he was always cool, fwiw.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 PM

I've had a couple of Calfees and ridden a couple more...

... and in my experience they are well built and last forever. The thing is, Craig is more of a fabricator than a bike designer and while they handle competently, and maybe even well, they don't handle great.

These kinds of comparisons are strained, but when I ride a Calfee I'm always left with the feeling that it's sort of a Ford Mustang. It gets around corners just fine, but there's not much finesse. Compared to say a Colnago C40/50, which is in lots of ways a very similar bike, the difference in handling and balance (for my build and bike fit) is just night and day.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
How does your Calfee ride compared to the Madone?

Texbike
Old 04-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

I love my Tetra Pro. I've been riding it since 2004, not sure how many miles but at least 30,000. It handles great-I raced it, poorly , for about 10 years and never felt any handling issues even when diving into corners at speed during crits or on long fast downhill sections during road races. Compared to newer, lighter carbon bikes it rides more like a well built steel frame bike, only lighter.

I understand the lugs are kind of off putting for some but they add structural integrity such that Calfee warranties the frame for 25 years. It's going to last rest of my riding life I suspect.

I've met Craig twice and like Saxon said he has always been gracious answering my questions.

Anyway, it's been an awesome frame.