Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 PM

SRAM Rival 10 upgrade to 11 speed: what is the minimum

Folks,

I have confirmed that the RD from 10 speed will work fine with 11 speed. I can imagine that the FD will work as well; although, I will not have the yaw benefit and I will probably upgrade the FD soon since it doesn't cost that much. Despite what SRAM says about the crankset chainring spacings, it seems that the crankset is the same if you believe FSA N10/N11 specifications.

So it seems the minimum upgrade path to 11 speed will be:
  1. Shifters
  2. Chain
  3. Cassette - assuming you have a free hub body that will accommodate the extra 1.8mm width of the cassette.

Would like some feedback whether this is true. I need to figure out what the real budget will be for this upgrade.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowestport View Post
Folks,

I have confirmed that the RD from 10 speed will work fine with 11 speed. I can imagine that the FD will work as well; although, I will not have the yaw benefit and I will probably upgrade the FD soon since it doesn't cost that much. Despite what SRAM says about the crankset chainring spacings, it seems that the crankset is the same if you believe FSA N10/N11 specifications.

1. Shifters
  2. Chain
  3. Cassette - assuming you have a free hub body that will accommodate the extra 1.8mm width of the cassette.

Would like some feedback whether this is true. I need to figure out what the real budget will be for this upgrade.
That is correct and if/when you do upgrade the FDR, get a shimano 6700 one. Better, even better, than 'Yaw' one.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Thank you!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowestport View Post
Folks,

1. Shifters
  2. Chain

I am surprised the 10 speed rear derailleur will work for 11 speed.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM

I would think it could work if pull ratio is the same. I once used a shimano rx100 7 speed derailleur with 9 speed 105 shifters.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 PM

I ran 5700 levers with a 9sp Ultegra derailleur with no issues, so I'm not surprised the 10 > 11 works fine as well. For a project I'm considering, if I was sticking with Shimano levers, I would have defaulted to 11sp levers and keeping the same 1999 Ultegra derailleurs without even thinking about it.

(not that that the latter comment tells you anything )
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakora View Post
I ran 5700 levers with a 9sp Ultegra derailleur with no issues, so I'm not surprised the 10 > 11 works fine as well. For a project I'm considering, if I was sticking with Shimano levers, I would have defaulted to 11sp levers and keeping the same 1999 Ultegra derailleurs without even thinking about it.

(not that that the latter comment tells you anything )
Cept 9000/6800/5800 levers not compatible with anything but shimano 11s ders.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Cept 9000/6800/5800 levers not compatible with anything but shimano 11s ders.
OP, thanks for the knowledge. So are you saying the minimum part upgrade to convert to 11sp--shifters, chain & cassette--only works for SRAM 10=>11? Shimano requires more, such as RD?

Thanks...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
That is correct and if/when you do upgrade the FDR, get a shimano 6700 one. Better, even better, than 'Yaw' one.
respectfully disagree. i've owned and used both within a sram system and the yaw is way better. with 6700 (and 6800 from my understanding), you'll always get rubbing at the extreme ends of the cassette (i.e. cross-chaining) because it relies on trim to get rid of this, which sram doesn't do. yaw doesn't rub, ever. yes the 6700 does shift very well, but i don't find that yaw shifts any worse.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
respectfully disagree. i've owned and used both within a sram system and the yaw is way better. with 6700 (and 6800 from my understanding), you'll always get rubbing at the extreme ends of the cassette (i.e. cross-chaining) because it relies on trim to get rid of this, which sram doesn't do. yaw doesn't rub, ever. yes the 6700 does shift very well, but i don't find that yaw shifts any worse.
Can't use a 6800 fder with sram levers. I guess we'll disagree then. Yaw is far better than anything sram made to then but 'way better'? About on par, 'maybe'. Too much of yaw depends on the other 'stuff' with sram, like better chainrings.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingomck View Post
OP, thanks for the knowledge. So are you saying the minimum part upgrade to convert to 11sp--shifters, chain & cassette--only works for SRAM 10=>11? Shimano requires more, such as RD?

Thanks...
shimano 11s conversion requires, shifters, both ders, cogset, chain and a rear wheel to accept shimano/sram 11s cogset.

sram needs shifters, cogset, chain and a rear wheel for 11s cogset.

If you have 2009+ Campagnolo 10s, all you need is shifters, cogset and chain.

If 2008 and older, shifters, cogset, chain, rear der unless you mod the rear der for a little more travel per click.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Can't use a 6800 fder with sram levers. I guess we'll disagree then. Yaw is far better than anything sram made to then but 'way better'? About on par, 'maybe'. Too much of yaw depends on the other 'stuff' with sram, like better chainrings.
i wasn't suggesting using 6800 fd'er with sram, but saying that it uses trim just like 6700. moot point anyway.

yaw is working great for me with older 10 speed rings, in a 10 speed system. the only thing yaw depends on is proper setup, really. which is no different than any other fd'er.

Tags
10 speed, sram, upgrade