Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2022, 06:38 PM

Does my helmet need replacing?

I have a Bell Gage helmet made in 2014.
There is really nothing wrong with it but I read according to the CPSC helmets should be replaced every 5 to 10 years.
I have been lusting after a MET Trenta. I am not sure if it really fits my head because there is no where to try one on. In fact you cannot buy one in the US that is CPSC compliant. I talked to Competitive Cyclist and they said they should be getting some at the end of the month but they are black which is a no go for me. There are plenty of places I can buy one online from Europe but they are not the CPSC compliant version which weighs a little more. But I am hesitant to do this as the whole reason to buy a new helmet is for crash protection. I am not sure if there is really a difference in protection between European and US standards but it is obvious that CPSC is more difficult to pass.
Also returning a helmet to Europe that does not fit could be problematic.
I could go with something that is widely available here like Specialized, Bell or Giro but they don't really appeal to me.

Just came upon the Lazer G1 MIPS Helmet. That might be another option

Last edited by deluz; 07-12-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:04 PM

To paraphrase:

I want a new helmet.

So...should I get a new helmet?

Answer?

N+1.

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-12-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
To paraphrase:

I want a new helmet.

So...should I get a new helmet?

Answer?

N+1.

Good translation..... But I want a lot of other things so I need to prioritize.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:28 PM

Recommendations for helmet replacement intervals vary quite a bit, and aren't based on hard data. Helmets don't go bad simply from age - an unused helmet stored well can retain its effectiveness for decades. Instead, helmets lose their effectiveness from environmental factors, such as taking hard hits, or exposed to harsh chemicals or UV light. So replacement interval recommendations are really based on assumptions of of accumulated mistreatment over time. Here's a couple of articles about helmet replacement intervals:

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm
https://www.consumerreports.org/bike...t-a5593905789/

As far as CPSC: It is true that aspects of the CPSC standard are more stringent than European standards, which is a bit of a sad state of affairs. When CPSC went about formulating their standards, they looked at the then current standards from independent bodies (ASTM, ANSI, Snell), and they basically settled on the lowest common denominators among the 3 of them, such that the CPSC requirements are roughly the same as the least stringent of the standards. This happened over 20 years ago, and the CPSC standard hasn't been updated since. Which means that the European standards must be even less stringent than the least stringent 20 year old US standard.

Fortunately, there are bodies that are looking at improving helmet safety, such as Virginia Tech, who not only do direct impact testing, but also do testing for rotational forces (which have been implicated in brain injuries). And unlike CPSC, which is is simply a Pass/Fail test, Virginia Tech uses a rating system in an attempt to gauge which helmets provide more protection.

Another factor to consider regarding CPSC is whether you will take part in any organized cycling events. Many organized cycling events require riders to wear CPSC helmets.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 PM

Yes
Old 07-13-2022, 05:25 AM

Get one that you can have fitted locally. Get a mips or a wavecell helmet. Otherwise just keep what you have.

Safety equipment needs to be safe before it can be anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2022, 05:32 AM

Upgrading to a MIPS helmet would be a step up in safety. I did the same, retiring two older Bell helmets in favor of Lazers last year.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-13-2022, 06:13 AM

If you get into an accident that results in head injury, and litigation, your non-CPSC rated helmet could be an issue.

While the likelihood of this happening is remote, it's something to consider.

I'd say don't buy the MET Trenta.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Just came upon the Lazer G1 MIPS Helmet. That might be another option
The Lazer G1 is widely available in bike shops for test fittings, and I highly recommend you do try it and others on.

Last July I decided to update my helmet, not only because it was old but because I'd been on a months-long course of blood thinners with an enhanced risk of a brain bleed in the event of a crash. I took the Virginia Tech list of top scoring helmets and searched for shops where I could try them on. Found one a couple of miles away, and tried on a bunch including four or five Lazers. Most fit my head like "...a mattress balances on a bottle of wine" (Dylan, Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat) but one, the Lazer G1, really fit.

I bought it for that reason, in spite of its eye-watering price. It is very light and very well ventilated too, but even with all that it is still one of the top scoring helmets for crash protection.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
The Lazer G1 is widely available in bike shops for test fittings, and I highly recommend you do try it and others on.

Last July I decided to update my helmet, not only because it was old but because I'd been on a months-long course of blood thinners with an enhanced risk of a brain bleed in the event of a crash. I took the Virginia Tech list of top scoring helmets and searched for shops where I could try them on. Found one a couple of miles away, and tried on a bunch including four or five Lazers. Most fit my head like "...a mattress balances on a bottle of wine" (Dylan, Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat) but one, the Lazer G1, really fit.

I bought it for that reason, in spite of its eye-watering price. It is very light and very well ventilated too, but even with all that it is still one of the top scoring helmets for crash protection.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good example of how to do it.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Generally speaking, do the Specialized and Trek stores that are becoming more and more common after buying out smaller indy shops carry third party helmets like Giro and Lazer?

I hope so because a helmet is one of those things I really want to try on before I buy and it's also one of the things I'm happy to pay a bike shop for that service and availability.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
If you get into an accident that results in head injury, and litigation, your non-CPSC rated helmet could be an issue.

While the likelihood of this happening is remote, it's something to consider.

I'd say don't buy the MET Trenta.
I would go with that
Buy a helmet that can not be scrutinized by the law
Old 07-13-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Generally speaking, do the Specialized and Trek stores that are becoming more and more common after buying out smaller indy shops carry third party helmets like Giro and Lazer?

I hope so because a helmet is one of those things I really want to try on before I buy and it's also one of the things I'm happy to pay a bike shop for that service and availability.
FWIW - Trek has a no questions asked unconditional 30 day guarantee on all Bontrager products - which included normal wear and tear and a 1yr crash replacement warranty. They want you to ride it as much as you want for 30 days to make sure it works for you, and if it doesn't they'll give you your money back or exchange it for whatever you want. I did this for a lot of customers when I worked at a dealer.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:00 AM

Also, the question on if I should replace my helmet is always - Yes. You don't want to find out your helmet isn't doing its best job protecting you after you crash.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
(...) I have been lusting after a MET Trenta. I am not sure if it really fits my head (...)
My wife says my bibs, jersey, and helmet make me look like a giant sperm. Her opinion is not that different from the opinion of the general public.

Lusting for a particular helmet makes no sense at all once we accept all cycling helmets look absolutely ridiculous. So only function and comfort are relevant. The CPSC spec will take care of function. The only thing left to do is pick a helmet that is supremely comfortable.