Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Saw a guy ride past me at a stoplight at a major intersection talking on his cell and casually look to his right for traffic when he reached the middle of the intersection. And yes, cars were coming through the intersection...fortunately no collision...

But I have seen worse: fellow riding down the middle of the car lane (50 mph posted speed limit) when to his immediate right the state of California had built for him a beautiful 12 foot wide bike lane. When I caught up to him at the next light I asked why he wasn’t using the bike lane. His response: it’s much safer to ride in the lane of traffic as it forces cars to slow down and go around him... yikes.
Agreed. Yikes was my first thought, too.
A wise man once told me just because you CAN do something, doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD. That might apply here.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
it's illegal here to drive or ride while using a hand-held device.

wonder why that is...
I wonder why its legal to use weed in some states while not in others while in sweden its not legal anywhere..

my point society moves along and make up new rules and abandon old ones along the way as more info and acceptance is available. Meanwhile ppl will make up there own minds about what they think is acceptable and how they want to live regarding the rules that one think is boarderline silly or whatever it is one thinks.

Regarding traffic rules they are often meant for cars and bikes just tag a long as they are considered traffic as well. Like redlights for instance, who are very much needed for cars and braking them will likely end in catastrophy in many cases while on a bike they are good ofc but running one very rarely ends in anything as u are aware of your surroundings in a v different manner than when in a car and self preservation gets you more alert than when feeling safe in a car.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 04-19-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Many things are distracting while riding, I crashed once when I was getting a drink from my water bottle, should I stop every time I want a drink? I guess they should make a common sense law for that? 2 hands on the handlebar at all times or your going to jail!!

Sometimes I ride one handed, sometimes I even ride with no hands!!!!! I guess that should be made illegal?

Too late - riding no-handed is currently illegal in many states. (Not justifying, just stating fact.)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:13 AM

I have seen this type of accident a lot

Sitting at a light, the person waiting on the lane next to me is on the phone.
The left turn signal turns green, person on the phone who is going straight through seeing movement from the corner of their eyes accelerates into the car in front of them or straight into the intersection

Nice
Old 04-19-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
But I have seen worse: fellow riding down the middle of the car lane (50 mph posted speed limit) when to his immediate right the state of California had built for him a beautiful 12 foot wide bike lane. When I caught up to him at the next light I asked why he wasn’t using the bike lane. His response: it’s much safer to ride in the lane of traffic as it forces cars to slow down and go around him... yikes.
I wonder if this guy is related to the late Mike O'Day. Here's the epitaph from Mike O'Day's tombstone:

Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
You've probably seen it before, and maybe I have as well and just forgot.

I passed a woman who was cycling. While talking on her cell phone.

Hopefully she won't hit a car and kill the driver.
140lbs of bike and rider can do NOTHING against a car, dude. relax.

welp, id like to say more, but i gotta relight my joint and i cant paceline and light a joint simultaneously while riding..
Old 04-19-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
I have seen this type of accident a lot

Sitting at a light, the person waiting on the lane next to me is on the phone.
The left turn signal turns green, person on the phone who is going straight through seeing movement from the corner of their eyes accelerates into the car in front of them or straight into the intersection

Nice
I've seen the converse. Light is green for all lanes. Someone is still stopped 4-5 car lengths back because they're head down texting, and have no idea that traffic is moving (well, except for the traffic behind them).
Old 04-19-2021, 11:23 AM
cnighbor2

Iron Horse Trail

Many time I seen an older male rider approaching me on the iron Horse trail (separate bike hike horse trail) talking a lot on his cell phone
GIZZ why go riding if all you do is talk on your phone And in this case there many nice benches so stop and call than
When I get a cell phone call when riding my phone in the back of my jersey and time i get it out to answer party has hung up so I don't brother to even get it out
Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
You've probably seen it before, and maybe I have as well and just forgot.

I passed a woman who was cycling. While talking on her cell phone.

Hopefully she won't hit a car and kill the driver.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I wonder why its legal to use weed in some states while not in others while in sweden its not legal anywhere..

my point society moves along and make up new rules and abandon old ones along the way as more info and acceptance is available. Meanwhile ppl will make up there own minds about what they think is acceptable and how they want to live regarding the rules that one think is boarderline silly or whatever it is one thinks.

Regarding traffic rules they are often meant for cars and bikes just tag a long as they are considered traffic as well. Like redlights for instance, who are very much needed for cars and braking them will likely end in catastrophy in many cases while on a bike they are good ofc but running one very rarely ends in anything as u are aware of your surroundings in a v different manner than when in a car and self preservation gets you more alert than when feeling safe in a car.
BC is pretty liberal on the weed front. In fact, I was riding home from work last year one beautiful calm sunny late aft and a couple riding in front of me were sharing a blunt as they rode. It made me laugh, but at the same time, cringe. Smoke and relax - don't do an activity that could endanger yourself or others.

It was a glorious weekend here of summer weather and the beaches were packed with people relaxing, drinking beer, smoking weed and chasing kids. I kind of like it and at times, I don't.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
BC is pretty liberal on the weed front. In fact, I was riding home from work last year one beautiful calm sunny late aft and a couple riding in front of me were sharing a blunt as they rode. It made me laugh, but at the same time, cringe. Smoke and relax - don't do an activity that could endanger yourself or others.

It was a glorious weekend here of summer weather and the beaches were packed with people relaxing, drinking beer, smoking weed and chasing kids. I kind of like it and at times, I don't.

I dont smoke weed and im actually against legalizing it but its also other ppls choice and i dont really care much for limiting other ppls choices (unless severe consequences) so what ever society decides is fine with me.

You paint a pretty nice relaxed picture of it tho maybe if i can continue to run a few ledlights on my bike and keep taking calls while riding "they" can smoke a joint once in a while? Fair trade?

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 04-19-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:07 PM
The B!

Quote:
Smoke and relax - don't do an activity that could endanger yourself or others.
how do you know thats impairing behavior for them? lots of people can smoke an amount of weed and not be impaired, just as you can drink a beer or two and not be impaired.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:48 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
a couple riding in front of me were sharing a blunt as they rode. It made me laugh, but at the same time, cringe. Smoke and relax - don't do an activity that could endanger yourself or others.
Heh-heh... Don't read this thread.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:15 PM

I've seen that too Reuben, will they ever learn
Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM

BTW...uh I forgot

My bad
Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
how do you know thats impairing behavior for them? lots of people can smoke an amount of weed and not be impaired, just as you can drink a beer or two and not be impaired.
I compare that to drinking a gin and tonic while driving. You cannot do that anywhere as far as I know. And yes, if you sipped a G+T over the course of a 4hr drive, you'd likely be fine, but I don't think that is what we are talking about. In reality, it is illegal.

Not sure about smoking weed on a bike, but I am pretty sure any police officer would give you a ticket for doing that.