Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Talcum powder for latex tubes an urban legend?

OK, as I mentioned in my latex tube thread, I decided to give Vittoria latex tubes another try.

Since I never installed new ones before, I looked up what/how much talcum powder I should use and the first hit with Google was Jobst Brandt via Sheldon Brown:
"Talcum is one of the more durable urban legends. There is no benefit in putting talcum or substitute powder on a tube or in a tire..."

Now what?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Every latex tube I have ever purchased comes with a nice coat of talc on it already. The issue, as I understand it, is that they don't like being twisted. The talc allows the tube to move around a bit as you inflate it and find its happy place. Also probably keeps it from getting caught under the tire bead as you inflate.

I use a tire powder from Panaracer because it costs a hell of a lot more than talc, so it must be more awesome.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Pack fill

I always run baby powder around the inside of a new tire prior to mounting it and installing the tube. Never had a tube get attached or stuck onto the inside of the tire. Been doing it for 45 years and not going to change now.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM

I've never used any and I've never had a latex tube stick. Count me as one who thinks it's a silly urban legend. I use Vittoria tubes and move tubes and tires around a lot as I have a lot of vintage steel passing through my stable. I just don't have any issues using the latex tubes repeatedly without doing anything special to them. Open the box and install them. Down the road pull them off one wheel, put directly on another, nothing done to them and no failures. That's all I can say about it.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
OK, as I mentioned in my latex tube thread, I decided to give Vittoria latex tubes another try.

Since I never installed new ones before, I looked up what/how much talcum powder I should use and the first hit with Google was Jobst Brandt via Sheldon Brown:
"Talcum is one of the more durable urban legends. There is no benefit in putting talcum or substitute powder on a tube or in a tire..."

Now what?
I like the advice from Jobst Brandt, but I have personally seen several tubes fused to the inside of tires. Vulcanized by heat. Also, talcum is a great dry lube to mount tight tires.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:50 PM

I've had Vittoria latex stuck pretty good to the inside of the tire once or twice. Never had a problem with it, but stuck it was.....
Old 07-05-2019, 07:02 PM
needs adult supervision

I’ve always thought talcum was cheap insurance. Can’t prove it helps but it makes sense to me. Is there any harm? I’ll do anything to avoid flats.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Descent fitness

I use Talc for both latex and butyl tubes and am still on my first $2 squeeze bottle after 20 years. Have seen some nasty sticky fusions without talc on butyl without it. Never seen it with latex, but prob due to the aforementioned factory application, which seems to be thicker than on most butyl tubes.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Talcum powder can make it easier to get the tire on the rim without pinching the tube; latex is way easier to pinch on installation. Once the tire is on, the powder has no benefit.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 PM

I've used talc on tires and tubes for the last 30+ years if for no other reason that it makes installing tires easier and less prone to pinching tubes.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Hoping that after I pass, my thoughts on mundane things like talc application on inner tubes will be read by hundreds or thousands, and some will even worry(!) about whether or not they followed my, probably offhand, advice. Need to get that blog going and dispense info about teeth brushing and toilet paper..
Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Hoping that after I pass, my thoughts on mundane things like talc application on inner tubes will be read by hundreds or thousands, and some will even worry(!) about whether or not they followed my, probably offhand, advice. Need to get that blog going and dispense info about teeth brushing and toilet paper..
More than likely your posts will be met with the following questions:
Why would they put air in tires?
Humans had teeth?
What, people used their digestive tracts to eat?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
More than likely your posts will be met with the following questions:
Why would they put air in tires?
Humans had teeth?
What, people used their digestive tracts to eat?
Well played, Sir.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Lanterne rouge

I quit doing it after a bunch of wet riding and the stuff turns to slime in the tire.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 AM
You still here?

I use talcum powder when I install a tube in a tire. If anything it helps if I Have to rotate the tire slightly to position the valve stem so it's straight. Smells good too.