Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
PegoNagos

The fact that they are giving Froome nearly 2 million Euros to do the race is a disgrace as far as I am concerned.

Other than that I am hugely excited for the Giro - definitely the race to watch this year!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
NBC Sports (Gold) won't be carrying the Giro this year. The two services that will stream the Giro in the USA this year are FuboTv and FloBikes.
Thanks. FuboTv has an App for Roku
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
OOOOOHHHHHHH I can't wait for Lancey-poo's podcast
The organisers of the Giro d’Italia have told Cyclingnews that Lance Armstrong will not be an accredited guest or podcaster at the Grand Partenza in Israel due to his lifetime ban for doping, but took a neutral stance to the disgraced Texan’s past and his plans to be in Israel for the opening stages of the race.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lanc...the-road-side/
Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
The fact that they are giving Froome nearly 2 million Euros to do the race is a disgrace as far as I am concerned.

Other than that I am hugely excited for the Giro - definitely the race to watch this year!
I did not know that. That is a disgrace.

Looking over the start list, it does not seem to be a very strong field for the GC. If I am counting right, there are only 4 riders with a Grand Tour win (Froome, Dumoulin, Chavez, and Aru), and a smattering of others with top 10 finishes. I sincerely hope it is not a snooze fest after the Mt. Etna stage.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I did not know that. That is a disgrace.

Looking over the start list, it does not seem to be a very strong field for the GC. If I am counting right, there are only 4 riders with a Grand Tour win (Froome, Dumoulin, Chavez, and Aru), and a smattering of others with top 10 finishes. I sincerely hope it is not a snooze fest after the Mt. Etna stage.
I'm feeling drowsy just thinking of 5 sky riders setting the pace up Etna... the helicopter whirring in the background... Carlton Kirby... mispronouncing...... zzz....zzz...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I seriously wonder how the whole Sky debacle ends.
If Comcast has anything to say about it, I think it ends as the Comcast debacle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/b...y-murdoch.html

(Same "Sky", correct?)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Man, transferring all the bodies and gear from Israel back to Italy must be some hassle. Looks like 1400 mi/3 hour flight.
I read this morning that the teams will be transferred to Israel via Boeing 747 cargo jet. 175 riders, 880 bicycles, 2,700 wheelsets, and gear. (Those numbers from memory, but I think correct). No team buses, they will remain in Italy. They will be provided vehicles while in Israel. They are taking a lot of wheels because fluids are prohibited-including lubricants, soaps, and tubular glue! Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM

^
Plus, the noon-time temperatures will be reach 37C/98.6F or higher.

Nightmare indeed.

Just start/finish the damned thing in ITA, and give the stupid-money saved to poor up-and-coming racers and/or deserving, needy clubs. Jeezus.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
give the stupid-money saved to poor up-and-coming racers and/or deserving, needy clubs[/COLOR]
"that's us!"

C. Froome, D. Brailsford
Old 05-01-2018, 03:39 PM

A pile of the money has to be coming from the Israel tourism bureau, right? They've been running tons of ads over bike racing for the last couple of years.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
"that's us!"

C. Froome, D. Brailsford
The "stupid-money" part...definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
A pile of the money has to be coming from the Israel tourism bureau, right? They've been running tons of ads over bike racing for the last couple of years.
I would be curious to know what amount, if any at all, these fancy remote departures (not adjacent countries such as BEL or LUX for the TdF) have contributed to the local economies, after all the expenses are subtracted.

Is it worth it?

I'm sure the ISR tourist business is relatively booming without any need for the Giro to promote it even more. How many general tourists even know/care/are influenced by what the Giro is? Or am I way off in thinking that?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
OOOOOHHHHHHH I can't wait for Lancey-poo's podcast; will he wear a yarmulke?
No, but I could picture Bob Roll wearing one.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Classics Fan

Just a bit of fun.

Last week, they were triggering avalanches before they cleared snow off the Stelvio Rd.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/...40259182563335

edit: in case it was confusing, Stelvio is not in the race this year. I just posted it because it is sometimes included and would be interesting. Zoncolon stage will probably be a fun finish to watch.

Last edited by MattTuck; 05-02-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Is it worth it?

I'm sure the ISR tourist business is relatively booming without any need for the Giro to promote it even more. How many general tourists even know/care/are influenced by what the Giro is? Or am I way off in thinking that?
Israel's PR goals in this case go way beyond trying to drum up tourist dollars, but I suppose we should pretend there's not a political dimension to the Giro this year, for the sake of the board.

Anyone interested in the subject can easily find out more about the controversy by digging around a little bit. I myself won't be watching.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Israel's PR goals in this case go way beyond trying to drum up tourist dollars, but I suppose we should pretend there's not a political dimension to the Giro this year, for the sake of the board.

Anyone interested in the subject can easily find out more about the controversy by digging around a little bit. I myself won't be watching.
You're right, we shouldn't (dive into politics).

But I don't get why that guy is paying specifically Froome €2 million, in addition to the €10 he apparently is paying the Giro plus the velodrome, etc. What does the guy get out of that? Is there a Sky connection? Is that money guaranteed to Froome, regardless of finish? It seems that it shouldn't even be legal to "outside sponsor" a rider under investigation for doping. It stinks.

I really hope that the **** hits the fan in this case, and Froome/Sky just disappear. Naive and wishful thinking, I know.